[blindLaw] trial level clerkship accommodations

Ronza Othman rothmanjd at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 17:05:02 UTC 2020

Hi Garret,
When I was a law clerk - admittedly forever ago, I had to use a human reader
for hard copy documents.  Voc Rehab paid for it since the clerkship was
unpaid.  But if your clerkship is paid, then you are considered an employee
and are entitled to reasonable accommodations to be provided by the
judiciary.  I'd suggest human readers and perhaps a subscription to
something like Aira Government Edition for on-demand live reader assistance.
I don't see any court moving to electronic processing between now and May if
they haven't already started the process.

Separately but relatedly, I just sent an email introducing you to the
Counsel to the Maryland Judiciary.  He and I just literally finished
recording a class for the judicial college on accessing the courts this
morning.  Hopefully he can help accommodations-wise, but he's just a good
person to know in general.

Yours,

Ronza

Ronza Othman, President