[blindLaw] Bipartisan bill to make PACER free & 508 accessible: Open Courts Act of 2020, HR 8235

Sai sai at fiatfiendum.org
Fri Oct 9 15:33:08 UTC 2020

Could y'all please help push this to pass before the session ends?

It'd be a shame if it died as a casualty of all the post-RBG /
upcoming-election / COVID-19 craziness.

Convincing Congress, organizing awareness / action, etc. is very much
not in my skill set — so if it's yours, please speak up & take the
lead.

# Hashtag

#OpenCourts (based on the bill's apt name)

# Why you should act on the #OpenCourts Act

I know, it's not as momentous as the headline news these days. We've
had a crazy year.

However: it's important, well written, necessary for transparency,
bipartisan, judiciary-approved, uncontroversial, years overdue, &
publicly unopposed* — and will have very extensive beneficial knock-on
effects**.

It should be a high priority for everyone working on transparency or
civil rights in US federal government, especially given the great
benefit:effort ratio.

It should (AFAICT) be very easy to pass. It just needs attention from Congress.

* Possible opponents:
1. DOJ (their budget subsidizes it)
2. Westlaw, LexisNexis, etc (undercuts their core business of selling
access to public judicial records).

It seems plausible to me that they're quietly lobbying against it.
I've not actually heard of any such opposition; please LMK if you
have.

** Feel free to talk to me off-list if you'd like details. This ties
in closely to long term research I'm currently doing on millions of
court records. Literally dozens of important issues this'll shed light
on, all are either first release or totally paywalled. Research
partners wanted.

# Timeline

HR8235 was approved by the House Judiciary Committee on Sept. 15 — the
day after it was introduced & referred.

There's been no action since.

<https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/8235> doesn't
even show an event for it coming out of committee (only markup),
though that's what they voted unanimously. Approved motion to move to
House floor w/ recommendation to pass is at
<https://youtube.com/watch?t=30804&v=PjPVspAQzwM>, at the very end.

I have no idea why. (If you're savvier than me & can interpret this,
please LMK off-list.)

# Twitter & relevant congress members

My tweet is @ <https://twitter.com/saizai/status/1314568325066883072>
if you'd like to copy or RT:
> @RepHankJohnson @RepDougCollins @HouseJudiciary @RepJerryNadler @Jim_Jordan @SenSasse @SenBlumenthal @LindseyGrahamSC @SenFeinstein @SpeakerPelosi @SenateMajLdr Will you ensure the #OpenCourts Act (HR 8235) passes this year? It's bipartisan & long overdue. https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/8235

I chose that @ mention list based on relevance & seniority. But again,
this isn't my skill area — so for your convenience, here are all the
relevant Congress members, AFAICT. (This should be more or less
ordered by seniority, except within the 2 members lists.)

Full House & Senate leadership
@SpeakerPelosi @ChuckGrassley @LeaderHoyer @SenateMajLdr @GOPLeader @SenSchumer

House Judiciary Committee
leadership
@HouseJudiciary @RepJerryNadler @Jim_Jordan @RepMGS

courts subcommittee leadership
@RepHankJohnson @RepMarthaRoby @RepLouCorrea

sponsors
@RepHankJohnson @RepDougCollins
* note duplicate: Johnson is both subcommittee chair & sponsor.

courts subcommittee members
@RepGregStanton @RepJeffries @RepTedLieu @RepTedDeutch @RepKarenBass
@RepSwalwell @RepCohen @RepZoeLofgren @RepSteveChabot @RepEscobar
@RepBenCline @GReschenthaler @RepAndyBiggs @RepMikeJohnson
@RepSteveChabot @RepMattGaetz
* note: mind that there are 2 "Rep. Johnson" on the subcommittee — Hank & Mike.

Senate Judiciary Committee
leadership
@LindseyGrahamSC @SenFeinstein

courts subcommittee leadership
@SenSasse @SenBlumenthal

courts subcommittee members
@SenJohnKennedy @ChuckGrassley @SenJoniErnst @SenThomTillis @MikeCrapo
@SenatorLeahy @SenAmyKlobuchar @SenWhitehouse @MazieHirono
* note duplicate: Grassley is also senate president pro tem.

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Sai
President, Fiat Fiendum, Inc., a 501(c)(3)

PS Non-gendered pronouns please. I'm a US citizen.

Sent from my mobile phone; please excuse the concision and autocorrect errors.