[blindLaw] Do any of you use ZoomText or fusion?

Laura Wolk laura.wolk at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 12:20:38 UTC 2021

So, I recognize I might be opening up a can of worms here.  But,
though I do have sympathy with those on this thread, I think it's a
great reminder of two things.  First, your schools should have, and
you should be asking for, a computer outfitted with assistive
technology to deal with these exact scenarios.  Second, if you don't
like the relationship with voc rehab and the computers they hand out,
then find another way to get a scholarship so that you can purchase
your own computer.  State agencies have contracts.  The federal
government has contracts.  Your eventual employer will have a contract
or a vetted model of computer that it uses.  It allows them to buy in
bulk or at reduced prices.  The time spent applying for a $1,000
scholarship so that you can buy a higher-end computer will be well
worth it.

The other issue is that this cannot be blamed on Vispero, completely
anyway.  Screenreaders have to be huge in order to be as powerful as
we need them to be.  And as Rob has pointed out, Vispero can't control
the bloated nature of windows, or the resources that Chrome hogs, or
the fact that Microsoft develops subpar, inaccessible products.