[blindLaw] Job search advice PDF concerns

Morgayne Mulkern morgaynemulkern at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 16:58:35 UTC 2021

Hey everyone!

Looking for positive advice. I am a totally blind Braille reader and Jaws
user. When job searching, do you discuss blindness and accommodations during
job interviews? If so, do you mention the difficulty of PDFs I.E. they are
not fully accessible, at least the parts in hand writing? Do you ask what
percentage of the job involves PDFs? How do you handle it?

I'm applying for jobs right now, and my last job refused to accommodate me
when it came to reasonable PDF work arounds (even though I mentioned it in
my job interview), so perhaps I'm extra sensitive to this potential
challenge coming up again and ruining my next job haha.

I don't want to carry this anxiety around with me, either because it is
negative. Advice? Thoughts? Many of the jobs I am applying to are in the
legal field, and I know I will run into PDFs in some form or another. I work
hard, and I have a solid resume and solid job references.

I am so thankful for this list serve to have a place to voice these
concerns. I also very much appreciate those in this list serve who helped me
handle the challenges at my last job.

Thank you!

Best,

Morgayne Mulkern