[blindLaw] Getting better at formatting

Rahul Bajaj rahul.bajaj1038 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 06:19:13 UTC 2021

Hi Everyone,

In the last few months, I have been keeping track of the formatting
changes that others have made to documents I have produced. The idea
in doing so is to map out the precise formatting issues where I need
to improve and then to figure out how to minimize my errors.

Here are the common changes that people make to my documents:

A. Text is sometimes inadvertently bolded or not bolded which they fix.
B. The font color changes from black for some text [when it is copied
from sources with non-black coloured text], so they have to make it
uniformly black.
C. The indenting requires fixing.
D. There are multiple spaces when there should be only one, between
sentences or words. Or the spacing between paragraphs is not uniform.
E. Superscripts somehow inadvertently crop up in the tex.

Do you have any strategies in mind for me to be able to detect and
rectify these issues on my own? I rarely use features like text
analyzer. When I do, I get confused by all the information it reports
and do not know what to do. In particular, it reports the location of
the proposed change in a very weird format which is hard to
comprehend. So I only do the following, formatting-wise:
A. Select the entire text and then select the font size and style that
I want; and
b. Bold all headings and italicize case names and Latin phrases, like
prima facie.

I then send the text to a colleague or intern and request them to fix
outstanding formatting issues.

I am wondering what process I should develop to minimize formatting
errors so that I do not have to outsource so much of this task to
sighted colleagues or interns. Thanks very much for any guidance.

Warmly,
Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Senior Resident Fellow,
Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi, India
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford