[blindLaw] Getting better at formatting

Robert Munro r.g.munro at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 16:22:26 UTC 2021

First, a question: what screen reader are you using? You may be able to set it to read the changes in text attributes like size font/italics and so on. You might not want that all the time, but you would want it when you’re editing documents; so it’s a good idea to know how to change on the fly.

Second, consider using the app Ulysses to write long and complex documents. Ulises can export to any format you like, it’s available both on computers and mobile devices, and it uses mark down to define the attributes you want to apply to your text.

Third, consider using mark down in whatever software you use to write documents. It means that, even if you have the text attribute  change function switched off in your screen reader, you will hear the markings spoken aloud by the mark down editor. For example, if you put a # at the beginning of a line, the software will make that a heading. You would add 1 # for heading level one, then immediately, without spaces between, type the name of your heading. Two number signs would mean a heading level two. You would be able to navigate by heading with your screen reader through the document. There are similar markings for italics, bold,  and so on.

Markdown also makes creating lists of various types easy and inserting footnotes is simplicity itself.

I highly recommend using Ulysses for this. That’s a change I made this year and I have not looked back.

Please don’t hesitate to write me back with any questions you might have. Good luck.

Onward!

Rob