[blindLaw] Blind judges

Sai sai at fiatfiendum.org
Thu Oct 7 05:28:58 UTC 2021

I'm aware of one blind judge in the UK: HHJ Fayyaz Afzal OBE is a Circuit
Judge, Midland Circuit (Derby).

https://www.judiciary.uk/announcements/circuit-judge-appointment-afzal-obe/

I don't have his contact info, though, and I'm not aware of any UK
equivalent to this list.

FWIW, I've been very strongly considering applying to become a magistrate
myself, in East London.

I've wanted to talk to a blind judge, and a UK judge, to get advice on
issues particular to being blind in the judiciary (and some difficult
matters about the UK's judicial system). I've never been in a public facing
role like that before, and it's hard for me to guess how colleagues,
counsel, or defendants might respond. Though I've externed for a 9th Cir.
judge, I never dealt with criminal cases (let alone had personal
decision-making authority); I have questions about how to do it in a way
that is actually effective.

(UK magistrates, aka justices of the peace / JPs, are very roughly
equivalent to a US city low level criminal judge in scope of authority.
They handle the equivalent of infractions & misdemeanors — "summary
offences" — for trial & sentencing, and arraignments, bail, & warrants for
all cases. Most of that is done on a 3-magistrate panel, and with a legal
advisor / clerk.

East London covers about 1.2 million people with the two courts where I'd
be working, with I think about 200 JPs. Minimum 18 days per year of
service. Unpaid position, only minor reimbursements for travel & food. No
legal background required. Sub-courts for family & juvenile cases.)

Sincerely,
Sai
President, Fiat Fiendum, Inc., a 501(c)(3)

Sent from my mobile phone; please excuse the concision and autocorrect
errors.