[blindLaw] Job Announcement from Public Justice

Scott C. LaBarre slabarre at labarrelaw.com
Tue Sep 28 14:31:09 UTC 2021

Happy Tuesday everyone!

Karla Gilbride, who is a terrific blind attorney with Public Justice, tells
us that there is a staff attorney position open with her organization.  The
job announcement is both pasted below and attached.  It sounds like a
wonderful opportunity, and we know that Public Justice is an organization
which fully accommodates a blind attorney.  Please feel free to spread this
far and wide.

All best,

Scott

National Headquarters 1620 L Street NW, Suite 630, Washington, DC 20036

West Coast Office 475 14th Street, Suite 610, Oakland, CA 94612

JOB ANNOUNCEMENT

Please post and inform potential applicants.

September 2021

ACCESS TO JUSTICE LITIGATION STAFF ATTORNEY WASHINGTON, D.C.

Public Justice, a national public interest organization, seeks to hire a
staff attorney with civil litigation and advocacy experience for the Access

Justice Project. Public Justice is a non-profit legal advocacy organization
that pursues high impact lawsuits to combat social and economic injustice,

protect the Earth's sustainability, and challenge predatory corporate
conduct and government abuses.

The Access to Justice Project seeks to make the civil court system a fair,
equitable, and effective tool for those with less power to win just outcomes

and hold those with more power accountable.

The Project challenges and removes the key inequities that block access to
justice through the civil courts and creates new opportunities to make the
civil

courts an effective tool for equitable justice. To achieve this outcome,
Access to Justice works with a network of litigators, organizations, and
others

who share our vision, and in partnership with them, identifies, assesses,
and prioritizes key barriers and opportunities for a just and equitable
civil

court system.

The Access to Justice Project works toward these goals primarily through
strategic high-impact

litigation, but also supports coalition advocacy and works to educate and
engage on these topics.

The Project has, for example, sought to improve access to the civil court
system by tackling

forced arbitration, restrictive standing doctrines, excessive court secrecy,
federal preemption, and

undue limitations on class actions, and by working to expand substantive
remedies. For more

information about the litigation and advocacy work of the Access to Justice
Project, visit our

website

here.

This is an exempt position and reports to the directors of the Access to
Justice Project. Our strong preference is for this position to be based in
our

Washington D.C. office, but we will consider applications from especially
qualified candidates seeking to work in our Oakland, CA, office or remotely
from

other parts of the country. Because Public Justice handles litigation,
education, and advocacy nationally, the position will entail some travel
when it

is safe to do so.

Job Responsibilities:

list of 7 items

. Serve as lead counsel or co-counsel in the investigation and development
of impact litigation that furthers the strategic goals of the Access to
Justice

Project and the mission of Public Justice.

. Participate in the full range of litigation tasks involved in the Access
to Justice Project, primarily legal research and analysis, briefing, and
oral

arguments, client representation, and, occasionally, factual investigation,
discovery, and settlement negotiation.

. Review requests for representation and develop appropriate cases, appeals,
amicus briefs, and special legal projects.

. Develop and engage in a broad range of legal advocacy through and outside
the courts (including drafting and reviewing legislation; drafting
rulemaking

petitions, comments to agencies, letters, fact sheets and other materials;
and participating in meetings and events) regarding the Access to Justice
Project's

advocacy priorities.

. Participate in developing and implementing a communications plan to
educate lawmakers, trial lawyers, grassroots supporters, and others about
the barriers

hindering access to civil courts.

. Build networks and collaborate with allies to fight corporate and
governmental abuses and ensure a robust and equitable civil court system.

. Participate in strategic planning and other planning initiatives for the
Access to Justice Project

list end

Qualifications:

list of 12 items

. Law school graduate with relevant legal and advocacy experience.

. Admission to the State Bar where the attorney is located, or a willingness
to become so admitted.

. Preference given to applicants with at least 3 years of litigation
experience. For the purposes of determining litigation experience, we will
include

clerkships and fellowships.

. A strong desire to make the civil court system a fair, equitable, and
effective tool for those with less power to win just outcomes and hold those
entities

with more power accountable.

. Excellent analytical, legal research, and writing skills.

. Excellent communication and public speaking skills.

. Self-motivation and proven ability to work as part of a team.

. Strong work ethic, initiative, and sound, yet creative judgment.

. Ability to juggle multiple tasks at a time and work in a fast-paced
environment

. Willingness to travel when safe to do so.

. Sensitivity to the needs and concerns of and the ability to work with
individuals and groups from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations.

. Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work
community that encourages collaboration.

list end

We offer a mission-focused work environment, a teamwork and
community-oriented approach,

and a competitive compensation package. We also offer a generous benefits
package, including

three weeks of paid vacation, two weeks of sick leave, and two personal days
each year, all

federal holidays and some local, employer-paid health, dental and vision
insurance premiums,

and a 401(k) plan. Our attorneys are paid on a salary scale based on years
out of law school. The

annual salary range for this position is likely between $60,000-$112,500,
depending on

experience. Public Justice requires those working in its offices to be fully
vaccinated against

COVID-19. Reasonable accommodations to this requirement, including remote
work, based on

disability or a sincerely held religious belief will be considered.

To Apply: Interested candidates should submit a:

list of 5 items

. Cover letter that conveys why you are drawn to Public Justice's mission
and the objectives of this position and how your experience fits with those
objectives.

. Resume.

. Law school transcript (official or unofficial).

. Contact information for three references.

. Writing sample, preferably a legal brief or memorandum that is either
unedited or only lightly edited by someone other than you. Please include a
cover

sheet explaining the extent of editing by someone else.

list end

Your application should consist of two electronic files: (1) your cover
letter, resume, transcript,

and references in a single .pdf file; and (2) a writing sample in another
.pdf file. The application

deadline is October 29, 2021, at which point applications will be reviewed
on a rolling basis until

the position is filled. Please submit both files to

staffattorney at publicjustice.net <mailto:staffattorney at publicjustice.net> .

For more

information, please visit our website at

www.publicjustice.net <http://www.publicjustice.net> .

Public Justice is an equal opportunity employer and values a diverse
workplace. We strongly encourage applications from people with disabilities;
people

of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals; LGBTQ individuals;
people of all genders; veterans; and people of all ages. Public Justice is

committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with
disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need
assistance

applying online, please email vni at publicjustice.net
<mailto:vni at publicjustice.net> . If you are selected for an interview, you
will receive additional information regarding how to request

an accommodation for the interview process.