[blindLaw] Calling the Federal Government

Singh, Nandini NSingh at cov.com
Fri Dec 9 20:04:42 UTC 2022

Hi Jen,

It may depend on the agency and the course of the interaction. This conclusion is based on a slightly different situation from yours, but I hope it is helpful. A few years ago, I was working on an SEC matter, and the Commission permitted us to come to headquarters to review papers that are usually printed out. SEC counsel knew that I was blind because I had come to take notes for a partner during in-person settlement discussions. When I asked SEC counsel if I could bring a paralegal with me to assist in reviewing the papers or else to have the paralegal read them to me over the phone, he was fine with it. It turned out that I did not have to review anything afterall, but I was prepared with a solution that worked for me, the client, and the Commission.

The following is not legal advice, and you should look into privilege and privacy law more and/or consult with your own internal GC: An attorney's support staff, including paralegals are deputies of the attorney. Their participation in a matter does not destroy privilege. Privilege is also usually more protected than privacy. That means that if conditions are such to preserve privilege, they are usually just as adequate to preserve privacy.

Of course, it gets more nuanced, but if you are not speaking with an attorney, you may get a reflexive no to an accommodation. The email from your paralegal was a good way to handle it. It is also not a bad idea to have as much of the material content immediately accessible to you. I know that is not always possible. However, when you have control over the schedule, you should be able to prepare both yourself and your materials.

Regards,
Nikki