[blindLaw] The Passing of Scott Labarre

rothmanjd at gmail.com rothmanjd at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 13:15:43 UTC 2022

Friends,

I'm so sorry to share the below message from President Riccobono about our
friend and brother, Scott LaBarre.  I served as Scott's First Vice President
for the National Association of Blind Lawyers for nearly a decade before he
and I swapped roles this past July.  He served as our president for as long
as many of us have known him.  Scott was NFB's General Counsel.  He
spearheaded our efforts to get the Marrakesh Treaty that gave us access to
millions of books.  He argued and won thousands of civil rights cases that
changed the lives of the blind and disabled.  He was the voice of the PAC
plan.  He was so much more!  Scott was much more than a friend to so many of
us.  He was kind, funny, generous, nurturing, honest, direct, loud,
creative, brilliant, wildly articulate, energetic, and loving.  We will most
certainly honor him in a future NABL event.  Please keep his family and all
who loved him in your thoughts and prayers.

We will share information about services as they become available.

Dear Federation Family,

It has been a difficult year of loss for the circle of friendship we share
in our movement. I regret to share that that loss is being felt
exponentially this evening as we have learned that Scott Labarre has passed
away surrounded by his family. The outpouring of love from the Federation
family was deeply felt by Scott but his challenging medical condition could
not be overcome. More details about services for this extraordinary
individual and information about how we can support his wife Anahit and
children Alex and Carter will be coming soon.

If you are like me, you are feeling a devastating sense of loss combined
with an overwhelming gratitude for what this man did for the blind of this
century. From arguing in the courts on behalf of blind people who were
discriminated against, to securing an international agreement permitting the
sharing of accessible books, to the close personal mentorship he freely gave
to hundreds of individuals, his impact will continue to ripple across the
world.

Please continue to send your prayers and positive thoughts to the Labarre
family.

With love,

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

(410) 659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org
<mailto:Officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

Twitter: @Riccobono

Ronza Othman, President