[blindLaw] Law Firm Accommodations

Sanho Steele-Louchart sanho817 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 18:48:08 UTC 2022

Syed,

When I was hired on, I was lucky enough to already have a copy of
K1000 (the OCR software) and JAWS/NVDA with Eloquence. All I actually
needed to ask for was someone to read me the handwritten parts of
records. Everything else has taken care of itself.

If possible, I'd approach this with a trusted supervisor or hiring
manager. Candidly, it seems to me that we'll ultimately need to be
able to advocate for these things without the assistance of an outside
firm. My supervisor made it pretty clear that if I wanted to advocate
for my clients, I should be prepared to advocate for myself first.

if I didn't have a trusted supervisor or hiring manager, I'd be up
front about what I needed. "I'll need X, Y, and Z. I also need a
contact person in the event something's inaccessible and I need to
figure it out on the spot. Will that be a problem?"

Warmth and good luck,
Sanho

--
Warmth,