[blindLaw] Accommodations

Prevost, Ann Marie aprevost at sidley.com
Tue Jan 25 05:11:53 UTC 2022

I was wondering if anyone found this to be a common experience.
My VI child was interviewing a VI friend for a high school sociology paper.
The friend, who goes to a prestigious NYC high school, said she finds teachers expect less of her as a visually impaired student.
When she does as well or exceeds her sighted peers she finds certain teachers stop giving her the accommodations she needs.
Obviously that is illegal, but what I am curious about is the prevalence of this type of thinking. Is this common?

Thanks for your thoughts.
ANN MARIE PREVOST
Staff Attorney

SIDLEY AUSTIN LLP