[blindLaw] questions about accessing suggestions in Google Docs with JAWS

Rahul Bajaj rahul.bajaj1038 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 07:54:01 UTC 2022

Hi Everyone,

As you are aware, many people collaborate on documents using Google Docs
now. When dealing with 'suggestions' that others have made, I face the
following difficulty. JAWS indicates that a particular portion of text
forms a suggestion, by saying 'suggestion start' before the start of that
text and 'suggestion end' when the text ends. But it does not report
whether the suggested text has been inserted or deleted. How can one make
out this information?

Further, when some words have been deleted and some words have been
inserted in a particular portion of text, it reports the entire portion in
a very haphazard manner, such that one cannot make out what the final
version actually says.

In Word, the way I deal with this is by switching to the 'no markup' option
in the review pane. Can one do something similar in Google Docs i.e. view
the final version with all changes accepted?

Finally, one possible solution would be to download the document in Word.
But when I do this, JAWS constantly prefixes every suggestion or comment
with 'rich content control'. Is there a way to stop it from saying that?

Thank you.

Warmly,
Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Senior Resident Fellow,
Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi, India
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford