[blindLaw] 2022 NABL Annual Meeting

Scott C. LaBarre slabarre at labarrelaw.com
Fri Jul 1 02:13:36 UTC 2022

Hello NABL!

One week from today, July 7th, we will be holding the National Association
of Blind Lawyers Annual meeting in conjunction with the NFB Convention being
held at the New Orleans Marriott.  Below you will find the Agenda for our
meeting.  This will be a hybrid meeting taking place in New Orleans and on
Zoom.  We will be giving you information soon about how to register for the
meeting online and pay your dues.

There is one particular item I would like to highlight in this year's
agenda.  We are holding what we are calling a Town Hall on practicing law as
blind attorneys.  We encourage everyone to come to the meeting with your
questions and your experience.  This is intended to be interactive so that
we can learn from each other.

I look forward to seeing you in NOLA or on Zoom.  If you have any questions,
contact me at slabarre at labarrelaw.com <mailto:slabarre at labarrelaw.com>  or
303 504-5979.

All best,

Scott

AGENDA

NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF BLIND LAWYERS

2022 ANNUAL MEETING

-----

Thursday, July 7, 2022

Galerie 3

Marriott New Orleans

New Orleans, Louisiana

Join Zoom Meeting

 <https://zoom.us/j/98302680865?pwd=NmIvWVBybTBzRWdHKzliSElQZUlwZz09>
https://zoom.us/j/98302680865?pwd=NmIvWVBybTBzRWdHKzliSElQZUlwZz09

Note:  This meeting is taking place in U.S. Central Time.

1:00 PM     WELCOME AND LOGISTICS

Scott LaBarre, President, NABL, Centennial, CO

1:05 PM     TRIBUTE TO CHARLIE BROWN

Marc Maurer, Immediate Past President, NFB, Baltimore, MD; Denise Avant,
Board Member, NABL, Chicago, IL

1:20 PM     THE EFFECT OF THE SUPREME COURT'S RULING IN COMINGS AND OTHER
RECENT CASES ON THE STATE OF DISABILITY RIGHTS

Eve Hill, Partner, Brown, Goldstein & Levy, Baltimore, MD

1:50 PM     THE UNFULFILLED PROMISE OF SECTION 508 AND WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW
ABOUT TITLE IX

Tim Elder, Second Vice President, NABL, Freemont, CA; Ronza Othman, First
Vice President, NABL, Baltimore, MD; Marc Maurer, Immediate Past President,
NFB, Catonsville, MD

2:30 PM     BLIND ATTORNEY SUCCESSFULLY ARGUING BEFORE THE SUPREME COURT

Karla Gilbride, Staff Attorney, Public Justice, Washington DC

2:55 PM     ADVANCING THE RIGHTS OF THE BLIND AND OTHERS WITH DISABILITIES:
A Survey of NFB Litigation

Scott LaBarre, General Counsel, NFB, Centennial, CO; Valerie Yingling, Legal
Program Coordinator, NFB, Baltimore MD

3:20 PM     WHY YOU SHOULD JOIN THE AMERICAN BAR ASSOCIATION AND ELEVATE
YOUR PRACTICE

Judy Perry Martinez, Past President, ABA, New Orleans, LA; Denise Avant,
Member, ABA Board of Governors, Chicago, IL

3:45 PM     A TOWN HALL ON PRACTICING LAW AS BLIND ATTORNEYS

We invite everyone to bring their questions on how to handle various aspects
of law practice as blind and visually impaired attorneys as well as be ready
to share your experience.

4:15 PM     ELECTIONS AND DIVISION BUSINESS

4:30 PM     ADJOURN TO RECEPTION

Join us for cocktails and hors d'oeuvres as we celebrate the progress of our
organization.  Network and meet your fellow blind attorneys and legal
professionals.  We thank our NABL Board of Directors who raised over $2,000
among Board Members to sponsor this year's reception!