[blindLaw] Making documents need in Microsoft Word

rodalcidonis at gmail.com rodalcidonis at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 16:12:55 UTC 2022

Indeed, there isn't an easy solution. If you are a Braille reader, this is
to me the best way to proof-read your work otherwise, you will need to do
the best you can with the proof reading profiles -- insert plus Alt plus the
letter S and try the different configurations.

To catch double spaces in your text, do a JAWS find and press the spacebar
two times.

It might also be helpful to proof-read line by line by doing an insert and
the letter F to hear the formatting information reported to you, though this
can be time consuming if you are dealing with voluminous materials.

Make sure you set your JAWS speed to a reasonable level while proof-reading,
even if you normally have it set to a higher level for other tasks.

As you can see, it is a combination of different tools that will get you
there.

Having said that, I personally would never submit a written document drafted
in Word without first having it visually inspected even with a good measure
of confidence. Others may feel differently, however. Microsoft Word is not
sufficiently accessible when it comes to formatting text as a blind person,
in my view.

Rod,