[blindLaw] Reviewing a financial statement and other accounting documents

Justin Harford blindstein at gmail.com
Mon May 30 22:33:07 UTC 2022

Hello

Since you didn't get any responses from blind accountants, maybe my response might be at least partially useful, though  I'm not an accountant.

I read a lot of securities and exchange filings including statements of income, cash flow and assets/liabilities. I have found that I get decent results when I pass a PDF of one of these documents through. ABBYY, and export as HTML. I find that around 90% of the time it gets the tables correctly tagged, and it even tags headings for key sections which makes it a bit easier to navigate. Many corporate entities will have spreadsheets of their financial statements. You can usually download these if it is a public company in the USA. I have successfully requested XLS versions of financial statements from foreign companies.

Of course this would break down if the financial statements were hand written, or if you were dealing with a tax return from the IRS. It seems to me like if you are working with a high networth individual, they would be able to supply you with proper spreadsheets.

Sorry you didn't get a reply from a Real accountant. Hopefully somebody with the proper credentials will be sufficiently infuriated with my response to enlighten both of us as I personally would like to know as well.

Regards

Justin Harford
Oregon Bell Academy Coordinator