[blindLaw] Introducing Evidence in Court

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 22:24:12 UTC 2022

I just took a trial advocacy class. Here's what I did.

I read the evidence myself and made sure I knew exactly what it said.
If it was something I needed to read from myself, then I had the text
ready to go on my Braille Note. If it was a picture, I had a detailed
description in my trial notes. In my class, I had my teammates prepare
the evidence, and they would hand over what I needed to give to the
witness. But if you're on your own with this, you can prepare the
evidence yourself if you know Braille. You can separate what you need
into folders and Braille label each folder. If you don't know Braille,
I would imagine you could get an accommodation so that someone on your
team could make sure you are handing the witness the right document.

I also made sure I knew the room well ahead of time so I could travel
to the witness stand and hand over the evidence. We used a very small
room, so I ended up leaving my cane at counsel table, but in most
settings, I would have brought my cane along. I would say in general,
it's probably good practice to scope out the room ahead of time so you
know where the jury, judge, etc will be seated. I think that was
recommended for everyone in our trial advocacy class.

Full disclosure though, I'm still a student and haven't actually
practiced for real yet, but this is what's worked for me in my class.

Hope you enjoy your mock trial competition,

Julie

--
Julie A. McGinnity
MM Vocal Performance, 2015; American University Washington College of