[blindLaw] Accommodations for bar exam

James Fetter jtfetter at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 31 03:45:53 UTC 2022

Lauren,
I would suggest doing the following ASAP:
1. Gather all, and I do mean all, proof of accommodations you received on prior standardized tests, in college and law school, and whatever else they ask for.
2. Find someone you trust to help fill out inaccessible forms. Is this remotely fair or ADA compliant? No. Do boards of law examiners care? Also no.
3. Include in your application a letter detailing your requested accommodations and justifying each with reference to accommodations you received in the past.
4. Read, very carefully, any correspondence from your state board. And push back hard, if they don’t give you what you need to do your best. You absolutely should get an accessible electronic exam/Jaws and the ability to write essays on your computer, but your MBE answers will likely be recorded by a scribe. This is pretty standard.
Good luck! I went through the accommodations process in two different states. I still have PTSD from the Kafkaesque process in one of these states.

Sent from my iPhone