[blindLaw] accessible solution for splitting large pdfs

Sai sai at fiatfiendum.org
Tue Feb 7 16:21:37 UTC 2023

(copying to list since others may be interested and it took me two hours to
write)

I tested this using Acrobat Pro 2017 on Windows 11 both sighted and with
NVDA (I don't have JAWS).

1. Acrobat Pro's accessibility

>   I was told that it is inaccessible to JAWS; is this true?

I can't give a very reliable answer on this.

I'm only in blind when I'm not at home. I only use Windows at home on my
desktop, sighted (because I can control lighting conditions); I have NVDA
installed but only use it very very rarely, so I am not proficient. I've
never used JAWS.

If I'm out of my home, and need to use a computer, I use my Macbook Air
with VoiceOver or Android phone using TalkBack, and am proficient in those.

On Windows, export is gotten to by opening the file, alt f for file menu,
down until you get 'export to' submenu, right, right again on Word (it's
the first option in the submenu), select the versin you want, press enter,
then standard Windows save  file dialog. I don't know how to trigger
the menu in NVDA except using the standard (non-screenreader) alt commands,
but otherwise it seems fairly normal.

There are parts of Acrobat Pro that are just weirdly designed GUI in
general (very much like Microsoft Word 16), which I don't like regardless
of whether I'm operating in sighted or blind mde, but I didn't notice
anything that would specifically be worse in a screen reader.

My Macbook is stalling on system updates at the moment, so I haven't tested
this in VoiceOver just now. But from memory, it was unremarkable —
basically the same interface as any other app, and no particular issues
using it.

However, I haven't tried using Acrobat extensively in blind mode — I've
only needed to read things and edit notes (in text or Google Docs) or the
like, not to do more technical things like this.

2. Export from PDF

> If I understand correctly, Adobe Pro has a feature to export to Word.
This would be ideal for me: I'd rather work with a .docx than a PDF.  My
question: is this exporting an exact copy of text and formatting, or is it
merely an OCR?

This was news to me, but turns out Acrobat Pro can indeed convert to Word
(DOCX).

It also can export to Word 97-2003 (DOC), "accessible" text (whatever that
means), plain text, rich text format (RTF), and (in theory) Excel
spreadsheet (but that is effectively unusable).

I've attached the 2022 ACB Convention program in PDF (the version I
downloaded) and versions I just exported from Acrobat Pro for you to
compare — Word, Word 97-2003, accessible text, and RTF.

At a quick check, the Word export is lossy. Some of the images are
corrupted — e.g. the Chase ad on page 5 erased parts at the bottom of the
image of a braille display, probably because the OCR interpreted it as text
and tried to remove "background" that was actually photo. The whole ads are
images in the original, so there's the usual OCR lossiness — e.g. that same
ad has a headline "Commitment to access and inclusion", which OCR
interpreted as "CoII1II1itrnent to access and inclusion" in the Word
version. The alt text of the first image (a river-spanning ridge) is gone,
whereas the PDF had alt text. Same thing with the page 17 Microsoft ad,
which has text in an inset box within the image — the inset is removed,
there's erratic change to white background, the font is different (and
inconsistently so), and alt text gone. Etc.

It seems OK with the parts that were text with very basic formatting in the
PDF, so I believe this is mostly due to the usual problems with OCR,
combined with Word not really being a layout / graphic design format where
PDF is, differences in the fonts available to OCR on my system vs used in
the graphic design, and unexplainable removal of accessibility metadata.

So in short, no, it is NOT an exact copy. If you intend to reuse this for
export for sighted people, they won't like it, and it will often be
impossible for you to tell even where things are broken if you're operating
blind. If you're operating sighted, and have very high proficiency, you
might be able to manually patch that up to match the original, with a lot
of work.

There is nothing that can give you a non-lossy export from PDF. PDF is
fundamentally designed as a layout and print/display design format, not a
word or data processing format.

If you have any choice, you should only ever treat it as a final format
that things go to and not return from. But if you need it for use in
software or a braille display, and you don't care that visual things like
formatting and images get broken, it is a workable option.

As for spreadsheet exports: they're garbage and I can't recommend
using them unless you are operating sighted, only have it in PDF format,
and want something marginally better than copy-and-paste to work from to
recreate the spreadsheet.

My actual experience with this was when I tried converting a rasterized PDF
spreadsheet I got via FOIA, and the result was completely useless.

In fairness to Acrobat, that one was almost total garbage in the
government's PDF version too — they exported a large table into multiple
pages (both rows and columns didn't fit), and then rasterized it (converted
to image, removing all text and metadata), and removed all info about even
document boundaries.

As a side note, the government's refusal to produce accessible documents in
FOIA is a disputed part of an ongoing case. One decision went against me on
this point (because I only told them in the FOIA that I wanted it in
accessible format, but didn't say I was blind); see first part of the
"analysis" section in Sai v TSA, 315 F. Supp. 218, 233–35 (D.D.C. 2018),
https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=16239104146207287839#p233 .
There is still a pending question about electronic/native format copies in
general, which could effectively trump that loss and which seems strongly
inclined in my favor (except as to TSA's practice of merging a bunch of
documents into one, which went against me); see part A of analysis section
in Sai v TSA, 466 F. Supp. 3d 35, 44–51 (D.D.C. 2020)
https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=2576139784660925888#p44 . If
these issues interest you legally and you'd like to know more or help out,
please get in touch; I am represented by Sidley Austin, but they are not
specialized in accessibility issues.

As a test, I also just tried converting a non-rasterized, native electronic
PDF spreadsheet that I made myself for filing in that FOIA case. I created
it in Google Spreadsheets. Because CM/ECF only accepts PDFs, I exported it
as two PDF pages in very very small font (but digital, so it can be zoomed
as much as you want), with headers repeated on each page, and sent an Excel
copy directly to chambers and opposing counsel. The PDF version I created
is, I believe, about as accessible and well formatted as possible for a
spreadsheet to be in PDF, and therefore should be the best plausible
scenario for re-export to Excel.

Unfortunately, the PDF to Excel export is nearly unusable. It does have all
the text, and at least a couple rows, but it lost the column boundaries for
most of the rows, and completely failed to deal with the table being split
into two pages in the PDF.

I've attached the Excel file I created (as exported by Google
Spreadsheets), labeled "original", the PDF from Spreadsheets that I
actually filed; and the Excel I just re-exported from that PDF in Acrobat
Pro, labeled "re-export from Acrobat".

3. Split PDF

This is a bit hidden but very straightfrward once you find it. Under tools,
organize pages, there's a "split" command.

That gives you the option to split by "number of pages", "file size", or
"top level bookmarks" (if it has any).

The ACB 2022 program PDF did not have bookmarks. So I've attached an
example of "split by pages", 50 pages per.

The result is 4 files, with "_part1" etc at the end of the file name.

4. Columns to plain

> I'd frequently prefer to convert multi-columned pages to single columns.
Will Adobe Pro do this--or does your answer depend whether the PDF is a
scanned image or editable text?

Technically yes, practically no.

If it's editable text in Acrobat (either natively or via OCR), in Pro, you
can edit text boxes. So you could edit the second column, cut all the text,
edit the first column, go to the end, paste it, and resize the box so it
fits within the page. That may not be possible if the lines are short, and
it is not possible to reflow lines across different pages in PDF — it's a
page based format. This is a a major pain to do even sighted, and I think
trying to do it blind would be hair-pullingly bad.

If it isn't editable text, you can cut the image of the second column and
paste it below the first, resize both to fit, and OCR, but I expect this
would be an even worse pain to do and have even worse than usual OCR output.

So that's the technical yes. It is in theory possible. If you really really
had to keep the other formatting, you can, sorta. But pragmatically, no.
Save your sanity and don't do this.

If at all possible get it in non column format to start.

If not possible, and you don't care about format, and if you're lucky
because the PDF metadata is structured well, then export to text or RTF
might do this automatically (because they don't have columns at all, so
it's forced to be serialized). This is definitely your best option if it
works.

If you're not lucky, it'll do a whole line at a time (so in order it'll go
column 1 line 1, column 2 line 1, column 1 line 2, etc). That's effectively
unusable without a lot of editing afterwards.

it would be easier in my opinion to copy and paste the text — page by page,
column by column — into a new document. That would still be extremely
annoying and tedious to do, but not nearly as bad as actually editing the
PDF.

I have in fact done this (or equivalent) a few times, when I needed to be
able to edit or reflow the content, or just have a more usable arrangement
to read through when in blind mode, and spending a few hours on this was
worth the result. I can't recommend it if you have any better options, but
it does work.

I hope that helps. The attached files should give you a reasonably
representative sample of Acrobat Pro's output when converting and splitting
files.

Sincerely,
Sai
President, Fiat Fiendum, Inc., a 501(c)(3)

On Mon, Feb 6, 2023 at 11:33 PM JJ Johnston <jeffjayjohnston at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello Sai,
>
> This was interesting info about Adobe Pro.  I was told that it is
> inaccessible to JAWS; is this true?
>
> If I understand correctly, Adobe Pro has a feature to export to Word.
> This would be ideal for me: I'd rather work with a .docx than a PDF.  My
> question: is this exporting an exact copy of text and formatting, or is it
> merely an OCR?
>
> Finally, I'd frequently prefer to convert multi-columned pages to single
> columns.  Will Adobe Pro do this--or does your answer depend whether the
> PDF is a scanned image or editable text?
>
> Thanks for your info.  I know nothing about this software and Googling
> wasn't answering my questions.
>
> Appreciatively,
> Jay

-------------- next part --------------
61st Annual National
Conference & Convention

A pedestrian bridge in Omaha stretches over a river at dusk. ACB Logo. 2022 Hybrid Convention.
American Council of the
Blind and Special-
Interest Affiliates

June 22 – July 8, 2022

Dan Spoone, President

Braille is special, but it shouldn’t be rare. APH’s vision to create an accessible world with opportunity for everyone, guides us in our efforts to innovate technology solutions that enable people with vision loss to conquer their challenges and pursue their dreams. Visit the APH booth to learn more about our latest refreshable braille technology, including the Mantis™ Q40 and Chameleon™ 20. American Printing House logo. APH.ORG.

Commitment to access and inclusion. We proudly support the American Council of the Blind for its developing innovative education, technology and training programs and legislative advocacy that create pathways to independence and success for their constituents. JPMorgan Chase & Co logo. jpmorganchase.com.

Amazon logo. Amazon’s vision is to be Earth’s most customer-centric company. Our goal isn’t simply to make things accessible, but to make products, services, and experiences that are delightful for customers with disabilities. Customers can enjoy a rich set of accessibility features on Amazon devices, such as the award-winning VoiceView screen reader on Fire TV, Fire tablets, and Echo Show devices. They can also enjoy Fire tablets’ compatibility with Bluetooth refreshable braille displays and use Alexa for things like identifying pantry items, shopping, and controlling smart home appliances by voice and touch. To learn more, tune in to our sessions featuring Peter Korn, Director of Devices Accessibility, Dr. Josh Miele, Principal Accessibility researcher for Devices and 2021 MacArthur Grant fellow, and other Amazon innovators. To learn more about Fire TVs, Fire tablets, Kindle, and Echo Devices. Visit www.amazon.com/accessibility.

Focused on What Matters. A Brighter Future. As an advocate for blind and visually impaired people, the American Council of the Blind has worked to strengthen communities and offer resources and education to help bridge the gap of equality and create connections amongst all people. MGM Resorts is proud to support the American Council of the Blind in all its efforts. MGM Resorts International logo.

Table of Contents
61st Annual National Conference & Convention ..................... 1
President’s Message .............................................................. 7
Conference Gems .................................................................. 9
Calendar ............................................................................... 17
Abbreviations in this Program .............................................. 37
ACB Café ............................................................................. 38
Registration Information ....................................................... 39
Communication Center Services .......................................... 42
Digital Information & Internet ................................................ 45
ACB Photography/Videography ........................................... 48
Medical Information .............................................................. 49
Guide Dog User Information ................................................. 50
Veterinary Care .................................................................... 51
Religious Activities ............................................................... 52
Convention Standing Rules .................................................. 52
General Session Agenda ..................................................... 56
Special-Interest Affiliate Meeting .......................................... 64
Alliance on Aging and Vision Loss ............................................ 64
American Association of Blind Teachers .......................... 67
American Association of Visually Impaired Attorneys.................... 69
ACB Diabetics in Action .................................................... 71
American Council of Blind Families .................................. 75

American Council of Blind Lions ....................................... 78
ACB Next Generation ....................................................... 79
ACB Radio Amateurs ........................................................ 84
American Council of Blind Students ................................. 85
Blind Information Technology Specialists ......................... 88
Braille Revival League ...................................................... 90
Blind LGBT Pride International ......................................... 93
Council of Citizens with Low Vision International ................ 101
Friends-in-Art of ACB ...................................................... 103
Guide Dog Users, Inc. .................................................... 107
Independent Visually Impaired Entrepreneurs ................ 110
Library Users of America ................................................ 112
Randolph-Sheppard Vendors of America RSVA® .......... 113
Visually Impaired Veterans of America ........................... 117
ACB Committee Meetings .................................................. 117
ACB Women’s Committee .............................................. 117
Advocacy Services Committee ....................................... 120
Auction Committee ......................................................... 121
Audio Description Project Committee ............................. 122
DKM First-Timers Committee ......................................... 126
Employment Committee ................................................. 127
Information Access Committee ....................................... 128
International Relations Committee .................................. 130

Leadership Training Committee ..................................... 133
Membership Committee ................................................. 133
Multicultural Affairs Committee ....................................... 135
Pedestrian Environment Access Committee .................. 139
Rehab Issues Task Force Committee ............................ 141
Resource Development Committee ................................ 142
Sight and Sound Impaired Committee (SASI) ................ 142
Scholarship Committee .................................................. 143
Transportation Committee .............................................. 143
Walk Committee ............................................................. 145
Other Meetings and Programs ........................................... 145
2022 Tours ......................................................................... 154
Kids Explorers Club ............................................................ 169
ACB Fundraisers ................................................................ 171
2022 ACB Exhibitors .......................................................... 173
Marketplace ........................................................................ 175
ACB Officers and Board of Directors .................................. 175
ACB Board of Publications ................................................. 177
ACB Enterprises & Services ............................................... 177
2022 Convention Coordinating Committee ........................ 179
2022 Convention Program Committee ............................... 179
Local Host Committee ........................................................ 180

President’s Message

I want to welcome everyone to the 61st annual
conference and convention of the American Council of
the Blind, for our first ever hybrid gathering broadcast
across ACB Media Network and in-person in Omaha,
Nebraska. In these unique times, the efforts of our
members to pull together and present an outstanding
event is a testimony to the passion and tenacity of our
ACB Family.

The theme of the 2022 convention is “Here, There and
Everywhere!” This is a great theme for this year’s
convention since today’s obstacles represent
tomorrow’s opportunities. Making opportunities turn into
successes for people who are blind or visually impaired
is what our work at ACB is all about!

You will hear more about ACB’s successes during what
should be our busiest and most information-packed
convention ever.

Every ACB convention relies on scores of volunteers
who work to make this event possible. I want to
personally thank the members of the Convention
Committee, chaired by Janet Dickelman; the Convention
Program Committee, and the ACB Media Network team.

Likewise, let me acknowledge the work of our
Alexandria and Minneapolis staff. You are all fabulous!

Finally, a very warm welcome to those of you attending
the ACB convention for the first time. This hybrid event
will offer our members and friends a wonderful chance
to experience a truly exceptional program in the comfort
of your own home or in Omaha at the fabulous Hilton
Hotel in the heart of the city. There will be over 25 hours
of audio-described virtual tours, a robust vendor exhibit
hall and amazing live tours, daily general sessions with
knowledgeable presenters across the full range of
issues that impact our community and over 100
breakout sessions from our affiliates, committees, and
sponsors. This unique experience will shape our
organization for years to come, and we can’t wait to get
together in person or on the ACB Media Network. Plan
on joining us in 2023 and come to Schaumburg, Illinois
next year.

Enjoy a great convention!

Dan Spoone, ACB President

Conference Gems

Many, many thanks to our 2022 corporate sponsors.
Their continued generous support of the American
Council of the Blind and our conference and convention
is sincerely appreciated.

Look for the 2022 corporate sponsors on www.acb.org,
in the conference and convention program and
newspaper, on ACB Media, on the convention T-shirt,
and throughout the week. Be sure to thank them
personally for their generous support.

Diamond Sponsors

• JPMorgan Chase – Conference & Convention
Announcements
• Meta – ACB Banquet
• Microsoft – ACB Media Streaming
• Vanda Pharmaceuticals
• Vispero – ACB Videography

Emerald Sponsors

• Amazon - Technology Help Desk
• Johnson & Johnson
• MGM Resorts International – Conference Exhibit
Hall and Guide
• Spectrum – Conference podcasts

• Verizon

Ruby Sponsors

• AT&T – Conference Registration
• Cruise
• Google – ACB Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
session tracks
• NCTA (National Cable and Telecom Association) -
ACB Scholarship Mentoring Program
• Waymo

Onyx Sponsors

• American Printing House for the Blind – ACB Life
Membership Reception
• Democracy Live - Membership Monday
• Tusk Montgomery Philanthropies - ACB Life
Member Reception

Topaz Sponsor

• ACB Lions - Sponsor a student, future ACB Leader
or Young Professional

Pearl Sponsor

• Library Users of America - Talking Book Narrator

Vispero logo. Vispero is a proud sponsor of the American Council of the Blind National Convention. Learn more about our innovative technology for blindness and low vision, and the passionate team behind it at vispero.com We’re excited to see you again - in person! Please visit us in the exhibit hall and during our presentation - we have many convention specials and a free gift just for visiting us! What’s New with JAWS, Fusion, and ZoomText
Saturday, July 2, 10:00 AM - 11:15 AM. Join Douglas Gerry for the annual User Group meeting. All skill levels are welcome. We’ll demonstrate and discuss the recent developments and look at what’s coming in 2023. Bring your questions and join the fun as we kick off the 2022 Convention with the JAWS teams from Training, Sales, and Marketing. Vispero Brands: Enhanced Vision, Freedom Scientific, Optelec, TPGi.

Proud to support the 2022 American Council of the Blind Conference and Convention. Meta Logo.

Empowerment: Microsoft is a proud sponsor of the 2022 American Council of the Blind Conference and Convention. Microsoft’s mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. This includes creating and delivering technology that is accessible and functional for everyone. Microsoft.com/accessibility. Microsoft logo.

To all you forward thinkers, thanks for striving to make things better. Spectrum is proud to support ACB’s 2022 Conference & Convention. Spectrum logo.

Mobile Voting logo. Our mission is to expand voting options to include secure, accessible mobile voting so any voter, regardless of ability, can vote from anywhere. Electronic remote ballot delivery and return options are needed so voters with disabilities can vote independently and privately from home. We continue to stand with the American Council of the Blind to expand voting options. Learn more at mobilevoting.org.
Cruise logo. Building the world’s most advanced autonomous vehicles. We are proud to work with the American Council of the Blind and their members, and to support the 2022 Conference & Convention. GetCruise.com.

NCTA logo. The Internet & Television Association. Proudly supports American Council of the Blind and the 61st Annual ACB Conference and Convention.
DemocracyLive logo. Voter Information Technologies
Democracy Live - Accessible Voting Technologies. Anytime. Anywhere. In too many states, voters with disabilities don’t have equal access to voting independently and privately from home. Fortunately, there are new accessible at-home voting technologies now available. The Democracy Live OmniBallot accessible at-home voting system is a fully ADA, Section 508, WCAG 2.1 compliant remote ballot marking solution. The system has been tested to meet the accessibility requirements of over 90 combinations of browsers, operating systems, screen readers and devices. OmniBallot has been deployed as an accessible absentee tool since 2008, in over 4,000 elections, serving 3,000 jurisdictions, in 27 states and 96 countries around the world. OmniBallot has been tested and reviewed by members of most every leading disability organization in the nation. For further information, please contact Democracy Live: 855-655-VOTE (8683). Email: info at democracylive.com. www.democracylive.com.

Calendar

Saturday, June 18

6:00 pm - 11:00 pm: ACB Summer Auction; Virtual

Wednesday, June 22

10:00 am - 1:00 pm: Exhibit Hall Virtual Tour; Virtual

7:00 pm - 8:00 pm: Reading of Standing Rules
Credentials; Virtual

Thursday, June 23

10:00 am - 11:15 am: Reaching Beyond Their Borders:
International Programs of US Schools for the Blind;
Virtual

11:30 am - 2:15 pm: GDUI: School Updates; Virtual

1:00 pm - 2:15 pm: BRL Constitutional Changes; Virtual

1:00 pm - 2:15 pm: AI in Music and Pictures; Virtual

1:00 pm - 2:15 pm: Audio Description: “Nothing About
Us Without Us”; Virtual

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: ACBRA Business Meeting; Virtual

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: BRL Nominations and Candidate
Forum; Virtual

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm - Seeing Eye Woofs and Wags; Virtual

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: BRL Other Business; Virtual

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: Yoga with Leslie Spoone; Virtual

4:00 pm - 5:30 pm: Audio Description Update on TV
Broadcast and Cable Networks and the CVAA; Virtual

5:30 pm - 6:45 pm: AABT Business Meeting; Virtual

5:30 pm - 6:45 pm: Adaptive Sports: GET UP, GET
MOVING, and Make Life Fun!; Virtual

7:00 pm - 9:00 pm: Nominating Committee; Virtual

7:30 pm - 8:45 pm: Prose and Poetry Reading; Virtual

Friday, June 24

1:00 pm - 2:15 pm: Residential Adjustment to
Blindness; Virtual

1:00 pm - 2:15 pm: You Gotta Have Harp; Virtual

1:00 pm - 2:15 pm: Science for Superheroes: Video
presentation and discussion of Cryopreservation;
Virtual

1:00 pm - 2:15 pm: NLS Expands its Foreign Language
Collection; Virtual

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: Super Computers and Super Pups;
Virtual

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: LUA Business Meeting; Virtual

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: En-Vision America; Virtual

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: Cardio Exercise with Leslie Spoone;
Virtual

5:30 pm - 6:45 pm: ACBS Business Meeting; Virtual

5:30 pm - 6:45 pm: Affiliate Presidents Meeting; Virtual

5:30 pm - 6:45 pm: Bookshare Office Hours; Virtual

7:30 pm - 10:00 pm: Showcase of the Performing Arts;
Virtual

10:00 pm - 11:15 pm: Showcase After Hours; Virtual

Saturday, June 25

10:00 am - 11:15 am: IVIE Business Meeting; Virtual

11:30 am - 12:45 pm: Do you really need Indeed?
Indeed you might; Virtual

1:00 pm - 2:15 pm: AAVIA Business Meeting; Virtual

1:00 pm - 2:15 pm: ACBF Business Meeting; Virtual

1:00 pm - 3:45 pm: RSVA Business Meeting; Virtual

1:00 pm - 2:15 pm: ACB Committee Chairs Meeting;
Virtual

1:00 pm - 2:15 pm: The Art of Disability Culture:
Nontraditional Visually Impaired Artist panel; Virtual

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: CCLVI Business Meeting and
Elections; Virtual

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: Audio Description Project: Self-
Community Perspectives; Virtual

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: Social Security at Work; Virtual

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: BPI/MCAC/GDUI Candidates
Forum; Virtual

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: Sister Power Happy Hour; Virtual

5:30 pm - 6:45 pm: ACB Families Goes to Camp; Virtual

5:30 pm - 7:30 pm: ACB Next Generation and ACB
Students Convention Pep Rally; Virtual

7:30 pm - 8:45 pm: FIA Writers' Workshop; Virtual

7:30 pm - 10:00 pm: ACB Film Night; Virtual

7:30 pm - 8:45 pm Keys to the Convention (Virtual)

9:00 pm - 11:00 pm: ACBL Milly's Place; Virtual

Thursday, June 30

6:00 pm – 9:00 pm – Registration, HH Blackstone
Ballroom A

Friday, July 1

8:00 am – 7:00 pm – Registration, HH Blackstone
Ballroom A

8:00 am - 3:15 pm: Henry Doorly Zoo; Left Outside
Hilton Lobby

10:00 am - 4:00 pm: ACB Board Meeting; HH Hill &
Virtual

4:00 pm - 6:45 pm: CCLVI/BITS: Vendor Showcase;
CHI 213 & Virtual

6:00 pm - 8:00 pm: Scholarship Winners' Dinner (by
invitation only); CHI 215

8:00 pm - 10:00 pm: ACBS/Next Gen Friday Night
Bash; CHI 208

8:00 pm - 11:00 pm: "Come Together!" Welcome to
Omaha; HH Blackstone B

9:00 pm - 12:00 am: RSVA/IVIE Mixer; CHI 215

Saturday, July 2

8:00 am – 6:00 pm – Registration, HH Blackstone
Ballroom A

8:00 am - 9:30 am: AABT Breakfast and Program: The
Statue of Liberty - The Rest of the Story; CHI 215 &
Virtual

8:30 am - 10:30 am: Goalball; TBA

10:00 am - 11:15 am: Berl Colley Leadership: Moving
from Safe Spaces to Brave Spaces; CHI 211 & Virtual

10:00 am - 11:15 am: BITS: Navigating Your World;
CHI 213

10:00 am - 11:15 am: BrailleSense 6, Productivity has
Never Been More Fun! CHI 208 & Virtual

10:00 am - 11:15 am: What's New with JAWS, Fusion,
and ZoomText; CHI 215 & Virtual

10:00 am - 12:00 pm: City Bus Tour with a Twist; Left
Outside Hilton Lobby

10:00 am - 3:45 pm: Boys Town; Left Outside Hilton
Lobby

11:30 am - 12:45 pm: AAVIA and Advocacy Committee:
Civil Rights Panel; CHI 215 & Virtual

11:30 am - 12:45 pm: Berl Colley Leadership; CHI 211
& Virtual

11:30 am - 12:45 pm: BITS: On the Go - Laptops and
Tablets; CHI 213 & Virtual

11:30 am - 12:45 pm: Furry Tails; CHI 208 & Virtual

1:00 pm - 2:15 pm: Making Gay History; CHI 208 &
Virtual

1:00 pm - 2:15 pm: RSVA: “All about the Nebraska
Business Enterprise Program”; CHI 215 & Virtual

1:00 pm - 2:15 pm: Safety Education Empowering
Defense Intro Workshop; HH Merchant

1:00 pm – 2:15 pm: NLS Focus Group, HH Rome

1:00 pm - 5:00 pm: Exhibit Hall Opens; CHI Exhibit Hall A

1:00 pm - 5:00 pm: Community Hospitality; HH St.
Nicholas & Virtual

1:00 pm - 3:00 pm: City Bus Tour with a Twist II; Left
Outside Hilton Lobby

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: ACBS, Blind Activism and
Advocacy Panel; CHI 208 & Virtual

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: RSVA: The Value of Randolph-
Sheppard Business Enterprises as Career
Opportunities; CHI 215 & Virtual

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: Pitch in an Elevator: Talking It Up
When You Are Going Down; CHI 211 & Virtual

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: 411 From the IAC: Low-Tech, High-
Tech Fitness Journey; CHI 213 & Virtual

4:00 pm - 6:00 pm: BPI Movie: Rocky Horror Picture
Show; CHI 208

4:00 pm - 5:30 pm: CCLVI: Fred Scheigert Scholarship
Winners' Reception; HH Cozzens

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: RSVA: “Outlook Enrichment
Assistance”; CHI 215 & Virtual

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: ACB Next Generation: Meet the
Framily; CHI 211 & Virtual

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: 411 From the IAC: Unlocking the
secrets of shopping; CHI 213 & Virtual

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: Keys to the Convention; HH Hill

4:00 pm – 5:30 pm: NLS Focus Group, HH Rome

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: Catholic Mass; HH Prague

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: Interdenominational Church
Service; HH Mercer

4:00 pm – 5:15 pm: Jewish Service: Temple Israel, HH
Flat Iron

5:00 pm - 6:45 pm: Come Tailgate with ACBDA; HH
Grand A

6:00 pm - 7:00 pm: Walking Everywhere! HH Grand
Ballroom Foyer & Virtual

6:30 pm - 10:00 pm: Kids Explorers Club; HH Paxton

7:00 pm - 10:00 pm: Opening General Session: CHI
Grand Ballroom & Virtual

Sunday, July 3

7:00 am - 8:15 am: GDB Breakfast; CHI 213 & Virtual

7:00am - 5:00 pm: Kids Explorers Club - Fontanelle
Forest; HH Paxton

8:00 am – 5:00 pm – Registration, HH Blackstone
Ballroom A

8:30 am - 12:00 pm: ACB General Session; CHI Grand
Ballroom & Virtual

10:45 am - 4:45 pm: Malcolm X Center and Black
History Museum; Left Outside Hilton Lobby

11:00 am - 5:00 pm: Exhibit Hall Opens; CHI Exhibit
Hall A

12:15 pm - 2:15 pm: AAVL Lunch: Unraveling the
Medicare Tangle; CHI 213 & Virtual

12:15 pm - 2:15 pm: RSVA® Awards Luncheon
"Celebrating over 50 years of achievement and
advocacy"; CHI 215 & Virtual

12:45 pm - 3:45 pm: Mormon Trail; Left Outside Hilton
Lobby

1:00 pm - 2:15 pm: "BPI: Beyond Swiping: Seeking
Romantic Connection and Compatibility in the 21st
Century"; CHI 208 & Virtual

1:00 pm - 2:15 pm: LUA: Up Close and Personal with
NLS Director, Jason Broughton; CHI 211 & Virtual

1:00 pm - 2:15 pm: Safety Education Empowering
Defense Intro Workshop; HH Merchant

1:00 pm - 5:00 pm: Community Hospitality; HH St.
Nicholas & Virtual

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: 3D Audio Excursion; CHI 208 &
Virtual

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: Not Your Mother's Library; CHI 211
& Virtual

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: Student Led Discussion; CHI 215 &
Virtual

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: Update Your Zoom Profile Pic; HH
Washington City

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: A Day in the Life an Audio
Engineer/Describer; CHI 208 & Virtual

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: Providing Quality and Affordability:
APH High-tech Refreshable Braille Solutions; CHI 215
& Virtual

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: To Mobility and Beyond: Update on
Public Right-Of-Way Accessibility Guidelines
(PROWAG); CHI 211 & Virtual

5:30 pm - 6:45 pm: The Human Side of They: What are
the Colors of Our Rainbow; HH Cozzens

5:30 pm - 6:45 pm: ACBF: Everyone Can Play!; CHI
211 & Virtual

5:30 pm - 6:45 pm: Conversation with the World Blind
Union CEO, Marc Workman; CHI 215 & Virtual

5:30 pm - 6:45 pm: Scholarship Winners Reception; HH
Grand Ballroom A/B

5:30 pm - 6:45 pm: What’s new with GPS Products at
HumanWare; CHI 213 & Virtual

6:00 pm - 8:00 pm: Get Up and Get Moving with a walk
across the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge; Left
Outside Hilton Lobby

7:30 pm - 8:45 pm: 1st Act: Enjoy some laughs with
RSVA® Comedian Willie Farrell; HH Blackstone B

8:00 pm - 9:45 pm: BPI Mixer: Bobbing into Omaha!;
HH Cozzens

8:00 pm - 10:00 pm: Get Social with SASI; HH Hill

9:00 pm - 12:00 am: 2nd Act: Show your talent with
RSVA® Karaoke!; HH Blackstone B

10:00 pm - 12:00 am: Open Mic Night with BPI; HH
Cozzens

Monday, July 4

7:00 am - 8:15 pm: ACBF Breakfast; Preserving Our
Memories; CHI 213 & Virtual

7:00 am - 8:15 pm: BRL Breakfast; CHI 211 & Virtual

7:00 am - 5:00 pm: Kids Explorers Club- Amazing Pizza
Machine; HH Paxton

8:00 am – 5:00 pm – Registration, HH Blackstone
Ballroom A

8:30 am - 12:00 pm: ACB General Session; CHI Grand
Ballroom & Virtual

11:00 am - 5:00 pm: Exhibit Hall Opens; CHI Exhibit
Hall A

12:15 pm - 2:15 pm: "Selling Yourself: How to Put Your
Best Foot Forward in the Evolving Employment
World."; CHI 213 & Virtual

12:15 pm - 2:15 pm: Voices from Around the World
Luncheon: A Tapestry of Stories: Overcoming
Challenges and Achieving Success in the US; CHI
211 & Virtual

12:30 pm - 2:30 pm: City Bus Tour with a Twist III; Left
Outside Hilton Lobby

12:15 pm - 4:30 pm: Strategic Air Control and
Aerospace Museum; Left Outside Hilton Lobby

1:00 pm - 3:45 pm: VIVA Business Meeting; HH Hill

1:00 pm - 2:15 pm: Blind Dating in a Sighted World:
The Non-verbal Cues of Dating; CHI 208 & Virtual

1:00 pm - 5:00 pm: Community Hospitality; HH St.
Nicholas & Virtual

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: Breath and Sound; HH Cozzens

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: Smart Home Living; CHI 211 &
Virtual

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: Social Justice and Identity-Based
Training; CHI 208 & Virtual

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: To Mobility and Beyond: Challenges
Facing Pedestrians in 2022; CHI 213 & Virtual

2:30 pm - 5:15 pm: IVIE Business Expo; HH Merchant

3:00 pm - 5:00 pm: City Bus Tour with a Twist IV; Left
Outside Hilton Lobby

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: How to Not be Afraid of Your
Kitchen 101; CHI 208 & Virtual

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: MCAC Social; HH Grand Ballroom A

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: To Mobility and Beyond: Yes, You
Can! Local Success Stories; CHI 213 & Virtual

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: Unraveling Advocacy for Vision
Rehabilitation Services; CHI 215 & Virtual

5:30 pm - 6:45 pm: BPI: Colors of the Rainbow: What Is
an Ally; HH Cozzens

5:30 pm - 6:45 pm: What’s new with Braille at
HumanWare; CHI 213 & Virtual

5:30 pm - 6:45 pm: Empowering Ourselves to Advocate
for the Best Mental Health and Emotional Well Being
Care; CHI 208 & Virtual

5:30 pm - 6:45 pm: Wine Tasting: Sparkles and
Fireworks; HH Washington City

5:30 pm - 10:45 pm: Baseball and Fireworks; Left
Outside Hilton Lobby

6:00 pm - 12:00 pm: RSVA® Casino Trip; Left Outside
Hilton Lobby

7:30 pm - 9:00 pm: Bingo - It's a Families Tradition; CHI
215

7:30 pm - 10:00 pm: Community Karaoke; CHI 208 &
Virtual

Tuesday, July 5

7:00am - 5:00 pm: Kids Explorers Club - Henry Doorly
Zoo; HH Paxton

8:00 am – 4:00 pm – Registration, HH Blackstone
Ballroom A

8:30 am - 12:00 pm: ACB General Session; CHI Grand
Ballroom & Virtual

11:00am - 5:00 pm: Exhibit Hall Opens; CHI Exhibit Hall A

12:15 pm - 1:00 pm: AAVIA Lunch; CHI 211

12:15 pm - 2:15 pm: ACB Lions Reverse Visit; CHI 213
& Virtual

12:15 pm - 4:00 pm: Outlook Collaborative Tour; Left
Outside Hilton Lobby

1:00 pm - 2:15 pm: Meet the Talking Book Narrator;
CHI 215 & Virtual

1:00 pm - 2:15 pm: AAVIA - Perspective from an
attorney from the UK; CHI 211 & Virtual

1:45 pm - 4:45 pm: Lewis and Clark Visitors Center;
Left Outside Hilton Lobby

1:00 pm - 5:00 pm: Community Hospitality; HH St.
Nicholas & Virtual

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: Choosing Where to Live as You
Age: Downsizing Part 1; CHI 213 & Virtual

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: Knuckling Down on Endocrinology:
Current and Future Treatment Strategies; CHI 208 &
Virtual

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: One Book, One ACB; CHI 215

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: Ten Ethical Issues Lawyers Face
Today; CHI 211 & Virtual

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: Self-Care is Health Care; CHI 215 &
Virtual

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: Choosing Where to Live as You
Age: Downsizing Part 2; CHI 213 & Virtual

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: Knuckling Down on Using and
Demonstrating Durable Medical Equipment; CHI 208
& Virtual

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: Take a Walk in the Park; CHI 211 &
Virtual

5:30 pm - 6:45 pm: ACBL: Lessons in Leadership; CHI
215 & Virtual

5:30 pm - 6:45 pm: Me to the Third Power: Finding,
Working and Sharing Myself; Our Journey with Mental
Health and Emotional Well-Being; CHI 208 & Virtual

5:30 pm - 6:45 pm: RDC "Two Scoops with No
Calories"; CHI 213 & Virtual

5:30 pm - 6:45 pm: Wine Tasting: Tannin Tuesday; HH
Washington City

5:15 pm - 9:15 pm: TreeRush Adventure Tour; Left
Outside Hilton Lobby

7:00 pm - 8:30 pm: DKM/JPMorgan Reception
(invitation only); HH President’s Suite

7:30 – 9 pm: A Conversation with Kelly Buckland, U.S.
Department of Transportation, CHI 213
Join the ACB Transportation and Pedestrian and
Environment Access Committees for a wide-ranging
conversation regarding accessibility and disability
rights with Mr. Kelly Buckland, Disability Advisor,
Office of the Assistant Secretary on Policy, US
Department of Transportation (Washington, DC)

7:30 pm - 9:30 pm: Dance of the Ages; HH Grand
Ballroom A/B

Wednesday, July 6

7:00 am - 8:15 am: NIB Breakfast; CHI 208 & Virtual

7:00 am - 5:00 pm: Kids Explorers Club - Children’s
Museum; HH Paxton

8:00 am – 4:00 pm – Registration, HH Blackstone
Ballroom A

8:30 am - 12:00 pm: ACB General Session; CHI Grand
Ballroom & Virtual

9:00am - 1:00 pm: Exhibit Hall Opens; CHI Exhibit Hall A

10:00 am - 3:00 pm: Update and Audio Describe Your
Profile Photo, HH Flat Iron

12:15 pm - 2:15 pm: MCAC Luncheon; CHI 213 &
Virtual

12:15 pm - 5:15 pm: Train Day; Left Outside Hilton Lobby

12:45 pm - 4:45 pm: Sweet Tooth Tour; Left Outside
Hilton Lobby

1:00 pm - 2:15 pm: "It Takes a Village: Working
Together to Prepare Students in Transition"; CHI 211
& Virtual

1:00 pm - 2:15 pm: ACBRA Program; CHI 208 & Virtual

1:00 pm - 2:15 pm: Understanding where our writing
system Braille has been; CHI 215 & Virtual

1:00 pm – 2:15 pm: NLS Focus Group, HH Rome

1:00 pm - 5:00 pm: Community Hospitality; HH St.
Nicholas & Virtual

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: A Candid Conversation about a
Critical Concept; CHI 213 & Virtual

2:30 pm – 3:45 pm: ACBDA: Accessible Pharmacy.
Knuckling down on Accessibility; CHI 211 & Virtual

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: New uses for Braille in Periodicals;
CHI 215 & Virtual

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: The History and Current Role of
Fraternal Benefit Societies; CHI 208 & Virtual

2:30 pm – 3:45 pm: NLS Focus Group, HH Rome

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: ACB Membership Committee
Seminar; CHI 213 & Virtual

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: Audio Description Award Winners;
CHI 215 & Virtual

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: Games with Ralph; HH Hill

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: Knuckling Down with Peer Mentor
Relations; CHI 211 & Virtual

5:30 pm - 6:45 pm: DKM Reception; CHI 211 & Virtual

5:30 pm - 6:45 pm: GDUI: Wrap-up and Awards CHI
215 & Virtual

5:30 pm - 6:45 pm: Making Sense of the Census; CHI
208 & Virtual

5:30 pm - 6:45 pm: Microsoft Windows Accessibility
and Features; CHI 211 & Virtual

5:30 pm - 6:45 pm: Wino Wednesday; HH Washington
City

6:00 pm - 9:45 pm: Riverboat Cruise; Left Outside
Hilton Lobby

7:30 pm - 10:00 pm: It's Play Time!; CHI 208 & Virtual

Thursday, July 7

7:00 am - 5:00 pm: Kids Explorers Club - Urban Air; HH
Paxton

8:00 am – 2:00 pm – Registration, HH Blackstone
Ballroom A

8:30 am - 5:00 pm: ACB General Session; CHI Grand
Ballroom & Virtual

10:00 am - 3:00 pm: Update and Audio Describe Your
Profile Photo, HH Flat Iron

6:30 pm - 9:30 pm: Kids Explorers Club Party; HH
Paxton

7:00 pm - 9:30 pm: ACB Banquet; HH Grand Ballroom
A/B/C/D & Virtual

9:00 pm - 11:30 pm: Get Up and Move Dance Party;
HH Grand Ballroom Foyer

Friday, July 8

 10:00 am - 3:00 pm: Update and Audio Describe Your
Profile Photo, HH Flat Iron

10:45 am - 3:00 pm: Brewery Tour; Left Outside Hilton
Lobby

5:45 pm - 8:30 pm: Crime Dinner; Left Outside Hilton
Lobby

Abbreviations in this Program

ACB - American Council of the Blind

AABT - American Association of Blind Teachers

AAVL - Alliance on Aging and Vision Loss

AAVIA - American Association of Visually Impaired
Attorneys

ACBDA - ACB Diabetics in Action

ACBF - ACB Families

ACBGE - ACB Government Employees

ACBL - ACB Lions

ACBNG - ACB Next Generation

ACBRA - ACB Radio Amateurs

ACBS - ACB Students

ADP - Audio Description Project

AFB - American Foundation for the Blind

APH - American Printing House for the Blind

BITS - Blind Information Technology Specialists

BOP - Board of Publications

BPI - Blind LGBT Pride International

BRL - Braille Revival League

CCLVI - Council of Citizens with Low Vision International

DKM - Durward K. McDaniel First-Timer

FIA - Friends-in-Art of ACB

GDUI - Guide Dog Users, Inc.

IRC - International Relations Committee

IVIE - Independent Visually Impaired Entrepreneurs

KEC - Kids Explorers Club

LUA - Library Users of America

MCAC - Multicultural Affairs Committee

NIB - National Industries for the Blind

NLS - National Library Service for the Blind and Print
Disabled

RSVA - Randolph-Sheppard Vendors of America

SASI - Sight and Sound Impaired Committee

VIVA - Visually Impaired Veterans of America

ACB Café

Stop by the ACB Convention Café to grab a quick cup of
coffee, pastry, sandwich, salad or snack as you rush

from one meeting to another or as you head out on a
tour. Meet at the Café to visit with friends or just rest a
while between activities.

The Café is in the convention center in room 210.
The Café menu will be printed in the newspaper and
available at the information desk, along with any daily
specials.

Registration Information

Sponsored by Vanda Pharmaceuticals

Registration is in the hotel in the Blackstone Ballroom A.

Pre-registration packets can be picked up anytime
Registration is open, but Thursday evening, June 30th
from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm and Friday and Saturday from
8:00 am to 11:00 am are reserved exclusively for pre-
registration pickup only.

Onsite registration will only be done from 11:00 am to
7:00 pm on Friday and 11:00am to 6:00 pm on
Saturday. This will help to better manage the lines
during the first days of the convention.

Hours are:

• Thursday, June 30: 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm

• Friday, July 1: 8:00 am to 11:00 am (pre-reg pick-up
only) and 11:00 am to 7:00 pm for pre-reg pick-up and
onsite registrations.

Saturday, July 2: 8:00 am to 11:00 am (pre-reg pick-up
only) and 11:00 am to 6:00 pm for pre-reg pick-up and
onsite registrations.

• Sunday, July 3 and Monday, July 4: 8:00 am to 5:00
pm

• Tuesday and Wednesday, July 5 and 6: 8:00 am to
4:00 pm

• Thursday, July 7: 8:00 am to 2:00 pm

When you register, you will receive your convention ID
badge, program, and a goody bag filled with information
and surprises. You must register to purchase tickets to
events and be eligible to win great door prizes. Always
wear your badge because it admits you to the exhibit
area and helps hotel personnel and volunteers provide
better service.

If you are pre-registered, your packet will be waiting for
you. You may not pick up a packet for someone else. If
you have any questions about your registration or need
to purchase more tickets, go to Registration in
Blackstone Ballroom A in the hotel.

A one-day pass is available for $10.00 with no program
and $15.00 with a program. This pass is color-coded by
day and is good for only the day on which it is
purchased. With this pass, you may attend exhibits and
other programs and purchase tickets for that day only. If
you wish to attend additional days at the convention,
you must pay the full administrative fee.

Refunds: ACB will make no refunds for convention
administrative and registration fees, sponsorship
donations or tickets that you just don't want. Refunds
are not made for events that you miss for any reason
other than extreme illness (see below) or for events that
you simply do not enjoy.

Refunds will be issued only for meals, events, and tours
if:
An individual has pre-registered and requests the refund
in writing to the American Council of the Blind, 6200
Shingle Creek Parkway, Suite 155, Brooklyn Center,
MN 55430, or calls (612) 332- 3242, on or before June
20th, 2022; and the individual does not attend any part
of the convention.

In case of illness during the convention requiring you to
return home or to be hospitalized, refunds will be issued
only for the meals, events, and tours taking place after

your absence begins. If the guarantee has already been
given for a meal function or a tour, no refund for that
function will be given. Refunds for tour tickets are only
made under certain conditions. See tour instructions for
more information.

Lost tickets: ACB will not replace tickets that are lost
during the convention. All ticket packets are checked
before they are distributed at the convention and tickets
that are lost or misplaced must be purchased again.

Reselling tickets: Only tour tickets will be accepted for
resale. In general, meal functions and social events at
the hotel do not sell out. You may wish to explore other
methods of selling luncheon, banquet, and other such
tickets.

ACB is not responsible for notifying you if you have paid
for a ticket through pre-registration for an event or tour
that is already sold out. Your name will be put on a
waiting list in the event of cancellations, or in case
additional tickets become available.

Communication Center Services

The Marcia Nigro Dresser Communication Center is in
Herndon in the Hilton and is open from 8:00 am to 5:00
pm, Friday, July 1 through Wednesday, July 6. This is

where you can place ads in the paper, make braille or
print copies or volunteer to help produce the newspaper.

Convention Newspaper:

This year's newspaper is “The Goldenrod Gazette” and
will be published each day, Friday through Wednesday, in
braille and large print; pick up a copy at the Information
Desk. The paper is also available on the ACB convention
email list and via download at the Information Desk before
10:00 am.

For $10 ACB Students (ACBS) will deliver the
newspaper to your hotel room door and it will be waiting
for you each morning. After you sign up for newspaper
delivery, activate your service by giving your room
number and your format preference to the Information
Desk.

Ads and Announcements:

Ads and other items for publication must be in the
Communication Center by 2:00 pm each day. The BOP
allows an ad to run for up to three days to give important
convention announcements more space. Ads must be
no longer than 75 words. BOP editorial policy prohibits
the production or distribution of campaign materials by
the Communication Center.

Cost of advertising in the newspaper is:

• Individuals, ACB affiliates and blind representatives
of MLM companies - $20/day or $50 for 3 days
• Exhibitors - $40/day or $110 for 3 days
• All others - $50/day or $140 for 3 days.

Pay for advertising at Registration and then show your
receipt at the Communication Center when submitting
your ad.

Brailling and Photocopying:

Photocopying is available at the Communication Center
for 10 cents per page. Brailling services are available
as follows:

• Individuals, ACB affiliates, and blind representatives
of MLM companies, 10 cents per page
• Small businesses and small nonprofits, 20 cents per
page
• All others, 35 cents per page

If your committee or affiliate needs something in braille
or large print, bring files early in the day so we can fit
your job between other tasks. A test copy will be printed
to let you know the number of pages per copy. Be sure
to label your computer card or thumb drive and tell us

how many of each format you need and by what time.
Please make payment at registration.

Thanks to HumanWare for once again donating the use
of the braille embossers and to American Thermoform
and American Printing House for their generous
donation of braille paper.

Please remember that the Communication Center is a
working room. While the convention is a great place to
meet and greet, loud conversations make it difficult to
hear the speech synthesizers on the computers. Help us
help you get the information you need.

Digital Information & Internet

Sponsored by Amazon

If you have registered for the convention, you will
receive Zoom invitations for the virtual and all the hybrid
sessions. You can join via computer or phone.

Much of the conference will be streamed on ACB Media
using multiple streams. All general sessions, and much
of our afternoon and evening programming will be live
streamed on ACB Media 1.

Other sessions will be recorded and replayed on ACB
Media. Sessions will be available as podcasts after the

convention and archived for later listening on ACB
Media.

Ways to Connect to ACB Media Programming:

1. Amazon Alexa-enabled device (recommended)
Alexa “Ask ACB Media to play Media n.” (n = the
stream number). For example, to listen to General
Session during National Convention; “Alexa, ask
ACB Media to play Media 1.”
2. PC / browser access (recommended):
Visit acbmedia.org at http://www.acbmedia.org/n
(n= stream number). The site has a built-in media
player. There is no need to install or use a media
player on your device. Hit the play button and the
stream will begin playing immediately.
3. Smart Device Access (recommended):
Download “ACB Link” from your app store. Find
“Radio” along the bottom of the screen, then
“Menu” in the top left corner. Select “Streams” and
then choose the stream you wish to listen to.
Double tap the play button.
4. Victor Reader Stream Access:
Navigate to “Internet radio library” in the “online
bookshelf.” Locate the Humanware playlist. From
the playlist, select ACB Media n (n = stream
number) and hit play.

5. Dial-In Access for programming originating in
Zoom:
Dial the Zoom access number provided with the
schedule information for the session. When
prompted, enter the meeting / webinar ID followed
by #. You will hear the exact same program that is
being streamed on ACB Media.
6. Alternate Dial-In access (not recommended)
Dial 1-518-906-1820. Listen to the menu prompts
and press the number for the stream you want.
Please note that this is a free service provided by
Zeno Media. This service is limited in terms of
simultaneous listeners and ACB does not warrant
this service. If dial-in is your only option and the
program is originating in Zoom, we recommend
that you dial into the Zoom meeting / webinar
directly (see above).

The ACB Radio Tuner is no longer supported. If you
used the tuner in the past, you may access all ACB
Media streams from acbmedia.org (see above).

If you are using alternate ways to access ACB Media
streams than those above (such as TuneIn or Winamp
using acbradio.org URLs), we kindly ask that you use
one of the methods above.

Social Media:

Follow the latest goings-on at the convention on:

Twitter www.twitter.com/acbnational
or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/acbnational

or view our YouTube Channel http://tinyurl.com/gloz7bq

Assistance during the convention

If you need assistance during the convention, contact our
technology help desk, acb.tech.help at gmail.com, or call us at
(888) 777-6730.

For general convention questions, call our convention
information desk at (888) 444-8320, or email them at
acb.info.helpdesk at gmail.com. You can reach help desk
representatives between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm Central time.

Email list

The ACB Convention email list keeps you up to date on all
the news. To receive the most up-to-date convention
information, subscribe to the convention announce list by
sending a blank email to
acbconvention+subscribe at acblists.org

ACB Photography/Videography

Sponsored by Vispero

The official ACB photographer for the 2022 conference
and convention will be taking pictures and video in the
exhibit hall, on selected tours, and at many social events.
They will visit committee and affiliate meetings,
workshops, general sessions, and the banquet.

It is understood that all activities and programs
scheduled at the 2022 conference and convention are
subject to be photographed or videoed. Photos and
video are the property of ACB and are for ACB's use.

Medical Information

For medical emergencies, dial 0 on a hotel phone or
911 on any other phone. Stay calm and speak
distinctly. Give your name, exact location, and a
description of the emergency.

For medical care, contact:

Urgent Care: Urgent Care Crossroads (5.1 Miles)

• Address: 325 N 72nd Street, Omaha, NE 68114
• Phone number: (402) 715-5272
• Hours of operation: Mon - Sat: 8 am - 8 pm, Sun: 8
am - 4 pm

Hospital: University of Nebraska Medical Center (2.8
Miles)

• Address - 42nd & Emile St, Omaha, NE 68198
• Phone number - (402) 559-4000

Pharmacy: Walgreens Pharmacy (1.6 miles)

• Address - 3001 Dodge St, Omaha, NE 68131
• Phone number - (402) 342-3301
• Pharmacy Hours: Mon - Fri: 9 am - 1:30 pm & 2
pm - 7 pm, Sat: Closed, Sun: 10 am - 1:30 pm & 2
pm - 6 pm

Guide Dog User Information

Guide dog relief areas are built and maintained by
Scoop Masters and are located near hotel exits. ACB
volunteers and hotel staff will be happy to help you
locate the areas.

Please keep in mind that the convention can be very
stressful for your dog; you may need to relieve your dog
more often than usual. Although the relief areas are
cleaned at regular intervals, as always, please pick up
after your dog. Trash receptacles are located near relief
areas.

Should an indoor accident occur, please report it to
Scoop Masters at (661) 714-0049. You should remain
at the accident location to help alert others while you

await assistance. If an accident occurs in your room,
you may be charged for the clean-up.

A few courtesy reminders from Krissy, the guide dog of
Janet Dickelman, ACB Convention Coordinator:

“Thanks for reading these, they will make my job, and
that of all your guides, so much easier! Always keep
your guide on a short leash when out and about in the
hotel. I know my mom gets distracted by people and
things so if I am not close to her side, or on a short
leash, I sometimes forget my best manners and get into
mischief. Please give us guides a chance to relieve at
least twice as often as at home, because you know how
it is when away from home - different water, lots of
excitement and disrupted schedules, etc. And, oh yes,
please always pick up after us. I am so embarrassed by
what my mom says when she steps in poop!!
Remember that convention is one of the most stressful
working environments for us, your fuzzy eyes, so please
give us every opportunity to be successful!”

Veterinary Care

Lone Tree Animal Care Center (1.6 miles)

• Address: 524 South 24th Street, Omaha, NE
68102
• Phone number: (402) 834-1305
• Hours: Mon - Tues: 8 am - 5 pm, Wed: 12 pm - 8
pm, Thurs: 8 am - 5 pm, Fri: 7 am - 4 pm, Sat: 8 am
- 12 pm (Every other Saturday), Sun: Closed

Emergency Vet: VCA Midwest Veterinary Referral &
Emergency Center (10.4 miles)

• Address: 9706 Mockingbird Drive, Omaha, NE
68127
• Phone number: (402) 614-9000

Religious Activities

Saturday, July 2

4:00 pm - Catholic Mass: Father Bernard Kimminau, St
Patrick’s Church, McCook, NE

4:00 pm - Interdenominational Church Service: Rev.
Peter Heide, Baraboo, WI

4:00 pm – 5:15 pm: Jewish Service: Temple Israel, HH
Flat Iron

Convention Standing Rules

Adopted by the ACB Board of Directors, April 1, 2022

1. Each debatable issue before the convention shall
be limited to approximately twenty (20) minutes
with a two-minute time limit per speaker,
alternating between affirmative and opposing
speakers, unless a majority of the members agree
to extend debate for an additional period of time.
A. Motions to close debate will not be recognized
by the chair during the first debate period. After
the first debate period, properly moved motions
such as “I call for the question” or “I move the
previous question” will be handled by the chair
and voted on by the assembly.
B. The chair may close debate when no one
seeks the floor.
C. Each member is respectfully urged to speak
directly to the issue before the assembly and
avoid unnecessary and time-consuming
dialogue.
D. No member will be recognized a second time
to debate until all who wish to debate have
been recognized.
E. The parliamentarian will act as timekeeper.

2. Recognition to speak will be given to those
members who properly address the chair either
using the “raise hand” feature of the Zoom internet
meeting client program or while standing at a

microphone in the convention hall and giving their
names and affiliation.
3. Changes to the published convention program may
be proposed to the membership as deemed
necessary by the presiding officer or his/her
appointee. The presiding officer will explain the
reason for such change and inform the assembly of
their right to question the recommended
modification. After this explanation, if twenty-five
(25) or more members object to the proposed
change by raising their hands using the Zoom
meeting client, or, if in the convention hall, by
raising their hands or standing, the change will
then require debate and a majority vote to modify
the convention program.
4. Nominating and seconding speeches shall be
limited to five minutes per candidate with the
speaking time allocated according to the
candidate's wishes. A person nominated for an
office more than once shall be limited to one
minute.
5. When no candidate for office receives a majority
vote, the election shall be between the top two
candidates. Affiliate votes will be reported in whole
or half numbers. In all uncontested elections as

verified after three calls for additional nominations,
the chair may declare the candidate elected by
acclamation. “Write in” candidacies are not
permitted.
6. A. Once a voice vote has been taken on a
resolution or an amendment thereto, in accordance
with Section C of Article III of the American Council
of the Blind Constitution, and the chair has
announced the result of that vote, the chair shall
ask whether anyone voting in the minority objects
to the vote. If at least twenty-five (25) members,
either using the “raise hand” feature of the Zoom
internet meeting client program or, if in the
convention hall, raising their hand or standing,
object to the result, then a record vote on the
resolution shall be required.

B. After debate has ceased on a resolution and it is
subsequently determined that a record vote is
required, no further amendments may be proposed.

General Session Agenda

Saturday, July 2

7:00 pm: Call to Order: Dan Spoone

• Moment of Reflection
• Presentation of Colors - Offutt Air Force Base
Honor Guard, Bellevue, NE
• National Anthem – Amanda Coker, Omaha, NE
• Welcome to Convention: Mark Bulger, President,
ACB of Nebraska, Omaha, NE
• ACB Highlight Video

7:30 pm: ACB President’s Report: Dan Spoone,
Orlando, FL; Executive Director's Report: Eric
Bridges, Alexandria, VA

8:00 pm: Diamond Sponsorship Presentation: Bob
Ciminera, CEO, Vispero, Clearwater, FL

8:15 pm: Life Member Presentations: Dan Spoone and
Nancy Marks-Becker, ACB Chief Financial Officer,
Minneapolis, MN

8:35 pm: ACB Angels Presentations:

• Yolanda Phelan, Hawaii
• Vicki Johnson

8:55 pm: ACB First -Timers: Kenneth Semien Sr.,
Chair, Durward K. McDaniel First Timers Committee,
Beaumont, TX

9:15 pm: ACB JPMorgan Chase Leadership Fellows:
Eric Bridges, Alexandria, VA

9:35 pm: Nominating Committee Report: Brian
Charlson, Watertown, MA

9:40 pm: Roll Call of Affiliates: Denise Colley, ACB
Secretary, Richmond, TX

Sunday, July 3

8:30 am: Call to Order

• Pledge of Allegiance - JPMorgan Chase Leadership
Fellows: Judy Brown, Shoreline, WA; Cecily Nipper,
Covington, GA; Kristin Kelling, Grand Rapids, MI

8:40 am: ACB Business

• ACB Sponsor Recognitions, corporate and
individual sponsors

8:50 am: Credentials Committee Report: Ralph
Smitherman, Brandon, MS

9:00 am: Diamond Sponsorship Presentation - Vanda
Pharmaceuticals: Jennifer Lyman, Midwest Nurse
Educator, Chicago, IL and Vicki Preddy, Southeast
Nurse Educator, Orlando, FL

9:15 am:

• ACB Angels Presentation: Bernice Kandarian,
California
• Presiding Officer: Deb Cook Lewis, First Vice
President, Clarkston, WA

9:30 am: International Guest, Marc Workman,
President, World Blind Union, Canada

10:00 am: Scholarship Presentations

10:30 am: Break

10:45 am: News from the National Library Service for
the Blind and Print Disabled (NLS), Jason Broughton,
Washington, DC

11:15 am: Nominations and Candidate Speeches,
Election Information

11:55 am Door Prizes and Announcements

Monday, July 4

8:30 am: Call to Order

• Pledge of Allegiance: Visually Impaired Veterans of
America (VIVA) Singing of America the Beautiful

8:35 am: ACB Business

• ACB Sponsor Recognitions, Corporate Sponsors:

8:50 am: ACB Angels Presentation: Josette Kernaghan,
British Columbia, Canada

9:05 am: Affiliate Roll Call for ACB Board of Director
Elections

• Presiding Officer: Ray Campbell, Second Vice
President, Springfield, IL

9:30 am: Omaha Historical Presentation

9:40 am: Scholarship Presentations

10:00 am: Break

10:15 am: ADP Awards

10:50 am: Member and Affiliate Relationships: Cindy
Hollis, Manager of Membership Engagement, Flat
Rock, MI

11:10 am: Nominations for Board of Director, Candidate
Speeches

11:55 am: Door Prizes and Announcements

Tuesday, July 5

8:30 am: Call to Order

• Pledge of Allegiance: Recipients of Ross Pangere
Scholarships

8:35 am: ACB Business

ACB Sponsor Recognition, Corporate Sponsors:

8:40 am: Diamond Sponsorship Presentation: Saqib
Shaik, Principal Engineering Manager, Microsoft,
Bellevue, WA

8:55 am: ACB Angels Presentation: Rod Chard,
Colorado

9:10 am: Affiliate Roll Call

• Presiding Officer: Denise Colley, Secretary,
Richmond, TX

9:35 am: ACB Advocacy Updates: Clark Rachfal,
Director of Advocacy, Alexandria, VA; and Swatha
Nandhakumar, Advocacy and Outreach Specialist,
Alexandria, VA

9:55 am: CCLVI Scholarship Presentations

10:10 am: Break

10:25 am: ACB Scholarship Presentations

10:45 am: Talking Book Narrator: Ray Foushee,
American Printing House for the Blind, Louisville, KY

11:15 am: Nominations for ACB Board of Directors
Position, Candidate Speeches

11:55 am: Door Prizes, and Announcements

Wednesday, July 6

8:30 am: Call to Order

• Pledge of Allegiance: DKM First - Timers: Joe
Green, Sacramento, CA and Gregg Wandsneider,
Waukesha, WI

8:35 am: ACB Business:

• ACB Sponsor Recognitions

8:40am: Diamond Sponsorship presentation

9:05 am: Affiliate Roll Call

9:30 am: Sylvia Stinson-Perez, Chief Programs Officer,
American Foundation for the Blind, Arlington, VA

• Presiding Officer: David Trott, ACB Treasurer,
Talladega, AL

9:45 am: ACB's Growth Report: Eric Bridges, ACB
Executive Director, Alexandria, VA; and Nancy Marks-
Becker, ACB Chief Financial Officer, Minneapolis, MN

10:00 am: Presentation by Day Al-Mohamed, Director
of Disability Policy, Domestic Policy Council,
Washington, DC (invited)

10:15 am: ACB Scholarship Presentations

10:35 am: Break

10:50 am: Report on the ACB Walk and Auction: Donna
Brown, Walk Chair, Romney, WV; Leslie Spoone,
Chair, ACB Auction Committee, Orlando, FL; and Dan
Dillon, Chair, ACB Resource Development
Committee, Hermitage, TN

11:05 am Spoken Rx: What is the Latest from CVS?

11:20 am: Nominations for ACB Board of Directors or
BOP

11:55 am: Door Prizes and Announcements

Thursday, July 7

8:30 am: Call to Order

• Pledge of Allegiance: JPMorgan Chase Recipients:
Danette Dixon, Lynnwood, WA and Byron Lee,
Minneapolis, MN
• ACB Sponsor Recognition, Corporate and
Individual Sponsorships

8:50 am: Diamond Sponsorship presentation: Monica
Desai, Vice President, Global Connectivity Policy,
Meta, Washington, DC

9:20 am: Affiliate Roll Call

9:40 am: Resolutions

10:10 am: Treasurer's Report: David Trott, Talladega, AL

10:30 am: Resolutions

10:50 am: Break

11:05 am: Resolutions

11:25 am: ACBES Report: Rev. Michael Garrett, Chair,
ACB Enterprises and Services, Missouri City, TX

11:35 am: Resolutions

12:00 pm: ACB Mentoring, Access and Peer Support,
Kenneth Semien Sr., Chair, Durward K. McDaniel
First-Timers Committee, Beaumont, TX

12:15 pm: International Relations Committee,
International Voices Contest Presentation: Maria
Kristic, IRC chair, Albany, NY

12:30 pm: Convention Report: Janet Dickelman,
Convention Coordinator, Saint Paul, MN

12:45 pm: First Reading of Constitution and Bylaws
Report, John McCann, Constitution and Bylaws
Committee Chair, Tucson, AZ

1:00 pm: Brett Oppegaard, The UniDescription Project

1:10 pm: Resolutions

7:00 pm: ACB Banquet

• Banquet Emcee: Patrick Sheehan, Outgoing ACB
Board Member, Silver Spring, MD
• Moment of reflection:

7:45 pm: Presentation of BOP Awards; Zelda Gebhard,
Board of Publications, Edgeley, ND; and Cachet
Wells, Board of Publications, Jacksonville, FL

8:00 pm: Presentation of ACB Awards: Awards
Committee Co-chairs Koni Sims, Sioux Falls, SD, and
Carrie Muth, Coos Bay, OR

8:15 pm: Keynote Speaker: Judy Heumann

8:55 pm: ACB Braille Forum Raffle Drawing: David
Trott, ACB Treasurer, Talladega, AL; and Nancy
Marks-Becker, ACB Chief Financial Officer,
Minneapolis, MN

Special-Interest Affiliate Meeting

Alliance on Aging and Vision Loss

President: Jeff Thom

Registration: $10

Sunday, July 3, CHI 213

12:15 pm - 2:15 pm: AAVL Lunch
Program begins at 1:00 pm: Unraveling the Medicare
Tangle
Lori Scharff, ACB’s Medicare expert, will give you the
information you need to better understand the maze
that is the Medicare program. Eligibility, benefits,
gaps, and special plans are just a few of the areas
that she will cover.

Monday, July 4, CHI 215

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: Unraveling Advocacy for Vision
Rehabilitation Services
Explore innovative advocacy efforts wherein states
can obtain funding under the Medicaid "Older
Individuals who are Blind" program. This program
provides an array of vision rehabilitation services;
however, funding is extremely limited. Learn how to
utilize the Older Individuals who are Blind and
Medicaid programs.
Co-sponsored by AAVL and the Rehabilitation Issues
Task Force

Tuesday, July 5, CHI 213

2:30 pm – 3:45 pm: Choosing Where to Live as You
Age: Downsizing Part 1: How can we know when the
time is right? Our panel will offer expert guidance on
making important decisions on where we might live as
we grow older.
Presenters: Carrie A.B. Hoarty, MD, Physician,
Assistant Professor, General Internal Medicine,
Omaha, NE; Mary Ann Eusebio, Information &
Assistance Division Director, Eastern Nebraska Office
on Aging, Omaha, NE.
Co-sponsored by AAVL and ACB Women

4:00 pm – 5:15 pm: Choosing Where to Live as You
Age: Downsizing Part 2: How to Choose What's Right
for Us. A conversation with a panel of ACB members
who have made a variety of choices about where to
live as they grow older.
Presenters: Kate Chamberlin, freelance writer and
retired elementary school teacher, Walworth, NY;
Jean Mann, retired New York State employee,
Albany, NY; Linda Yacks, widow, mother, and
grandmother, Harrison, AR
Co-sponsored by AAVL and ACB Women

7:30 pm – 10:30 pm: Dance of the Ages, $15, HH
Grand Ballroom
Music for all ages will be provided by our DJ. Whether
you like waltzes, line dances, or something in
between, it will happen. We have also prepared an
area for conversation while listening at a lower
volume. Light snacks and a cash bar will be
available. And plenty of door prizes.
Co-sponsored by AAVL, ACB Next Generation, and
CCLVI

American Association of Blind Teachers

President: Tabitha Brecke

Program Chair: Carla Hayes

Registration: $10 ($12)

Saturday, July 2, CHI 213

8:00 am - 9:30 am: AABT Breakfast and Program “The
Statue of Liberty: The Rest of The Story,” $30 ($35)
Learn about the fascinating history of the Statue of
Liberty in this humorous and insightful program
presented by the most requested historical speaker in
Nebraska.
Presenter: Darrel W. Draper, Edutainer, Plattsmouth, NE.

Tuesday, July 5, CHI 215

1:00 pm – 2:15 pm: Meet the Talking Book Narrator -
This is your opportunity to hear more from and ask
questions of our 2022 talking book narrator, Ray
Foushee, American Printing House for the Blind,
Louisville, KY.
Co-hosted by LUA, AABT, BRL, and FIA

2:30 pm – 3:45 pm: One Book, One ACB: “Their Plant
Eyes: A Personal and Cultural History of Blindness,”
by M. Leona Godin
Co-sponsored by LUA, BRL, FIA and MCAC

Wednesday, July 6, CHI 211

1:00 pm – 2:15 pm: “It Takes a Village: Working
Together to Prepare Students in Transition.” There
are a lot of expectations for schools to provide all the
essential academic skills to prepare for life beyond
secondary education. There is often not enough
funding to meet all the need. We know that
technology is an integral part of our daily life. Nancy
Flearl from the Nebraska Foundation for Visually
Impaired Children will share how a simple non-profit is
working in partnership with school districts and
Vocational Rehabilitation to support students in
transition.
Presenter: Nancy Flearl, Board President, Nebraska
Foundation for Visually Impaired Children, Omaha, NE.

American Association of Visually Impaired
Attorneys

President: Chris Prentice

Registration: $10

Saturday June 25, Zoom only

1:00 pm - 2:15 pm: AAVIA Business Meeting

Saturday, July 2, CHI 215

11:30 am - 12:45 pm: AAVIA and Advocacy Committee
Civil Rights Panel. This session will discuss recent
achievements, ongoing legal efforts, current risks, and
opportunities in the courts concerning issues of
importance to members of ACB.
Presenters: Matthew Handley, Partner, Handley
Farah & Anderson, Washington, DC; Christina
Brandt-Young, Supervising Attorney, Disability Rights
Advocates, New York, NY.
Co-sponsored by AAVIA and Advocacy Services
Committee

Tuesday, July 5, CHI 211

12:15 pm – 2:15 pm: AAVIA Lunch
1:00 pm – 2:15 pm: Perspective from an Attorney
from the UK (program begins at 1:00 pm)
Hear from Adal Ibrar, barrister, London, England, a
Visually Impaired Attorney. Mr. Ibrar will talk about
key experiences and observations of his training and
career in the law. Through discussion with AAVIA
members, it is hoped that illuminating contrasts and
similarities will emerge.

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: Ten Ethical Issues Lawyers Face
Today
This session, led by Cynthia Hawkins, Professor of
Law, Stetson University College of Law, Gulfport, FL,
will offer an expert perspective on key ethical issues
facing lawyers and affecting public perceptions of the
legal profession.
Presenter: Cynthia Hawkins, Professor of Law,
Stetson University College of Law, Gulfport, FL.

Wednesday, July 6, CHI 208

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: The History and Current Role of
Fraternal Benefit Societies
This session will feature representatives of a major
Omaha-based fraternal benefit society, explaining the
historical and contemporary importance of these
organizations.
Presenter: Lynn L. Espeland, Vice President and
General Counsel, Woodmen Life, Omaha, NE.

ACB Diabetics in Action

President: Tom Tobin

Program Chair: Danette Dixon

Registration: $25

Those paying the affiliate registration cost will
receive handouts upon request.

Saturday, July 2, HH Grand Ballroom A

5:00 pm - 6:45 pm: Come Tailgate with ACBDA, (in-
person only)
Join ACB Diabetics in Action Sugar Warriors as we
team up with the Get Up and Get Moving Campaign
and the Brenda Dillon Memorial Walk Team for some
fun, prizes, tasty snacks and a cash bar. The tailgate

party starts before the Brenda Dillon Walk and will
remain open during the walk and for a time after the
walk concludes.
This will be a great time to socialize with members of
ACBDA, Get Up and Get Moving and Brenda Dillon
Walk organizers and friends.

Tuesday, July 5, CHI 208

2:30 pm – 3:45 pm: Knuckling Down on Endocrinology;
Current and Future Treatment Strategies
Hear from a panel of global, leading endocrinologist
regarding current and future best practice treatment
strategies for managing Type I and Type II diabetes.
Facilitator: Terry Suarez, Diana Isaacs
Endocrinologist Clinical Pharmacy Specialist

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: Knuckling Down on Using and
Demonstrating Durable Medical Equipment
Empowering clients to independently manage their
diabetes and other chronic diseases with low or no
vision. Kim’s passion for preventing diabetes and its
complications through education stems from first-
hand experience. Not only does she deal with

diabetes daily, but many of her family members do so
as well. Kim will demonstrate how to use many
different devices for diabetes.
Presenter: Kim Ladd, RN, BS, Diabetes
Educator/Health Education Specialist, Virginia
Rehabilitation Center for the Blind and Vision
Impaired, Richmond, VA.

Wednesday, July 6, CHI 211

2:30 pm – 3:45 pm: ACBDA: Accessible Pharmacy
Knuckling Down on Accessibility - Three co-founders
of Accessible Pharmacy will describe their rationale
behind the founding of a full-service pharmacy serving
the needs of individuals with blindness and vision
impairment. One of the business partners who is blind
will explain his vision for a full-service pharmacy,
sharing his own personal disappointing experiences
with mainstream pharmacies. In addition, you will
hear from Accessible Pharmacy’s Chief Medical
Officer about accessible durable medical equipment,
inclusive of continuous glucose monitors, and
generally, how Accessible Pharmacy works to meet
the needs of their blind and vision impaired
customers!

Presenters: Dr. Alex Cohen, PhD, Chief Marketing
and Accessibility Officer, Fairless Hills, PA; Dr. Jason
Barrett, PharmD, Chief Medical Officer, Fairless Hills,
PA; and Andy Burstein, Chief Executive Officer,
Fairless Hills, PA.

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: Knuckling Down with Peer Mentor
Relations
The ACBDA Peer Mentor Relations Program is a
scientifically based peer support network which
encourages members who have a variety of
experiences, or length of time with both diabetes
and/or sight loss, (mentors) to interact with one or
more of their peers confidentially who request extra
support, encouragement or like-experiences through
Diabetes and sight loss, (mentees). This peer-to-peer
mentoring relationship model allows for not only the
sharing of information and experiences, but also the
chance to gently challenge others to take a close look
into their own personal lives to see what simple
adjustments could be made to better support a life of
both sight loss and diabetes. Additionally, these
bonds provide a safe place to bring new ideas and
thoughts to the table, and even move past some of
the things that are uncomfortable, safely expanding

our personal comfort zone, to gain a better knowledge
and understanding of living with sight loss and
diabetes together. Knowing that we are not alone in
these experiences or challenges can make such a
positive difference in our lives, providing new shed
light upon the face of adversity and amidst the
darkness, in which so many of us live.

American Council of Blind Families

President: Carla Ruschival

Registration: $15

Register for ACB Families and be eligible to win
door prizes. Lots of fun and lots of winners!

Saturday, June 25 (Zoom only)

1:00 pm: ACBF Business Meeting

5:30 pm: ACB Families Goes to Camp
It's summertime - time for sitting around the campfire,
eating hotdogs and s'mores. Whether you're a kid or a
kid at heart, camp is a special experience. Share
stories; play games; experience a skit called "Forest,"
written by a student at the Kentucky School for the
Blind and performed by the Reader's Touch

Productions from the Tri-State Library Users and
directed by Dr. Terrie Terlau, Louisville, KY.
Finally, discover some camping opportunities for
today's fun-loving folks!

Sunday, July 3, CHI 211

5:30 pm: ACBF - Everyone Can Play!
Resources and ideas for accessible toys and games;
share family-tested tips from parents, grandparents,
and teachers alike.
Facilitator: Patty Slaby, retired teacher of the visually
impaired, Arcadia, WI

Monday, July 4

7:00 am - 8:15 am: ACBF Breakfast - Preserving Our
Memories, $20 ($25), CHI 213
Preserving family memories is more than stuffing
pictures into a shoebox. Find out how to preserve
tapes and videos and how to begin collecting oral
histories with Micheal Hudson, Director of the
museum at the American Printing House for the Blind
in Louisville, KY.

 Always an inspiring speaker, Micheal is sure to get
you motivated to actively collect those memories of
your kids, cousins, and school and ACB friends.

7:15 pm - 9:00 pm: Bingo - It's a Families Tradition, $8
($10), HH Grand A (In-person only)
Braille cards, large print cards, and lots of great
prizes! Bring yourself, bring a friend, bring the kids -
fun for all ages!

Wednesday, July 6, CHI 208

5:30 pm: Making Sense of the Census
It's a once-in-a-decade event! The 1950 Census is
here, and it includes cousins, neighbors, aunts and
uncles, grandparents - even family friends! They are
all waiting to be discovered, and many will be people
you know. Every ten years the United States
conducts a census, and 72 years after the census
date it becomes public. Packed with family
information and details; get on the road to discovery.

American Council of Blind Lions

President: Ray Campbell

Registration: $10

Register for ACB Lions to be eligible to win our special
door prizes. Winners will be drawn following the close
of the ACB Conference and Convention.

Thursday, June 23

9:00 pm – 10:30 pm: ACBL Business Meeting (zoom
only)

Saturday, June 25

9:00 pm: Milly's Place (zoom only)
Share stories about your local Lions Club activities.
Bring your favorite chips, sandwiches and beverages
and have a good time with Lions from across the
country. All Lions, friends of Lions, and anyone
interested in becoming a Lion is welcome.

Tuesday, July 5

12:15 pm - 2:15 pm: Lions Luncheon Reverse Visit, $35
($38), CHI 213

 Meet Lions from Omaha and discover how blind Lions
are making a difference across America. Open to
active Lions, former Lions, and anyone interested in
learning more about becoming a Lion.

5:30 pm – 6:45 pm: Lessons in Leadership, CHI 215
Becoming a leader is like climbing a ladder. Some
people make it to the top, while others only take two
or three steps toward the goal. Lion Mary Lee Turner
of Portland, OR, and Lion Jack Lenk of St. Louis, MO,
are both members of ACB Lions and they are both
past District Governors. They will share how they, as
blind Lions, navigated the climb to this office and how
they successfully completed the many responsibilities
and requirements of this position. True lessons in
leadership that can apply to any organization.

ACB Next Generation

President: Amanda Selm

Co-Program Chairs, Melanie Alt Sinohui and Cassie
Trosper

Registration: $10

Thursday, June 23 (Zoom only)

7:30 pm – 8:45 pm: Prose and Poetry Reading
Showcase of the Performing Arts
Co-sponsored by FIA and ACB Next Generation

Saturday, June 25

5:30 pm – 7:30 pm: ACB Next Generation and ACB
Students Convention Pep Rally (Zoom only)
Who’s got spirit? We do! Let’s get fired up for the
2022 ACB Conference and Convention. Join ACB
Next Generation and ACB Students for our
Convention Pep Rally. Enjoy meeting new friends, fun
icebreakers, and learn about all our amazing events,
as well as important information you will need to make
your convention experience, whether virtual or in
person, a great one. Bring your favorite snacks and
get ready to root for ACB 2022. We can’t wait to cheer
with you!
Facilitated by Amanda Selm, ACB Next Generation
president, Louisville, KY; Olivia O'Connell, ACBS
convention program chair, Commerce Township, MI;
Gregg Wandsneider, Waukesha, WI.

Saturday, July 2, CHI 211

2:30 pm – 3:45 pm Pitch in an Elevator: Talking It Up
When You're Going Down
Creating Your Personal Elevator Pitch Workshop -
Many of us find it very difficult to talk about ourselves
but being able to make a lasting impression in a few
short seconds is an integral part of networking and
sometimes even landing that job opportunity. Join the
ACB Employment Committee as we work with
participants in a workshop setting to fine tune and
share your elevator pitch.
Co-sponsored by the ACB Employment Committee
and ACB Next Generation

Saturday, July 2, CHI 211

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: Meet the Framily
Friends who are family - Whether you've been with
NextGen from the beginning or you're hearing about
us for the first time, come hang out and mingle with
new and old friends to kick off this year’s convention.
You might even win a door prize!

 Presenters: Melanie Sinohui, ACB Next Generation
convention chair, Phoenix, AZ; Amanda Selm, ACB
Next Generation president, Louisville, KY; Cassie
Trosper, ACB Next Generation board member, North
Bend, OR.

Monday, July 4

12:15 pm - 2:15 pm: “Selling Yourself: How to Put Your
Best Foot Forward in the Evolving Employment
World,” CHI 213, ($32) (program begins at 1:00 pm)

2:30 pm – 3:45 pm: Smart Home Living, CHI 211
A myriad of products that make your life and home
more comfortable, cleaner, safer, and independent
will be demonstrated and discussed. This is always a
crowd-pleaser. Whether you are with us in person or
virtually, you won’t want to miss this!
Sponsored by ACB Next Generation and CCLVI

4:00 pm – 5:15 pm: How to Not Be Afraid of Your
Kitchen 101, CHI 208
Does the thought of undercooked meat scare you?

Are you nervous when chopping your veggies? Do
you want to learn how to prep and meal plan for your
budget? Join Herbie Allen as he goes in depth into
kitchen and food safety and Janeen Lea as she
focuses on making your money go further and meal
prepping to make your busy nights easier.
Presenters: Amanda Selm, President, ACB Next
Generation, Louisville, KY; Herbie Allen, ACB
Community cooking call host, Houston, TX; Janeen
Lea, ACB Community call cooking host, Kissimmee, FL.

Tuesday, July 5, CHI 215

4:00 pm – 5:15 pm: Self Care is Health Care
Take charge of your physical, mental, and emotional
health. ACB Next Generation and ACB's Get Up and
Get Moving invite you to come and learn about the
connection between mind, body, and spirit. Come
stretch out your body and energize your spirit by
learning to relax! Participants will also be able to
share their best practices for self-care. You’ll learn
from Leslie Spoone, Certified Fitness Instructor,
Orlando, FL; Koni Sims, retired Medical Massage
Practitioner, Sioux Falls, SD and Terry Suarez,

Certified Respiratory Therapist, Clermont, FL.

7:30 pm – 10:30 pm: Dance of the Ages ($15)
Music for all ages will be provided by our DJ. Whether
you like waltzes, line dances, or something in
between, it will happen. We have also prepared an
area for conversation while listening at a lower
volume. Light snacks and a cash bar will be
available. and plenty of door prizes.
Co-sponsored by AAVL, ACB Next Generation, and
CCLVI

ACB Radio Amateurs

President: Harvey Heagy

Program Chair: Marcia Moses

Registration: $10

Thursday, June 23

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: ACBRA Business Meeting (Zoom
only)

Wednesday, July 6, CHI 208

1:00 pm – 2:15 pm: ACBRA Program
Steve Dresser (WA1RTB) will demonstrate an
accessible interface for the NannoVNA, a low-cost
microprocessor-based device for analyzing antenna
performance.

American Council of Blind Students

President: Aaron Espinoza

Program Chair: Olivia O’Connell

Friday, June 24 (Zoom only)

1:00 pm - 2:15 pm: Residential Adjustment to Blindness
Training Center Panel
Join ACB Students for a panel featuring
representatives from three blindness training centers:
the Hellen Keller Center, the Carroll Center for the
Blind, and one of the National Federation of the Blind
centers. These three centers are located across the
country, and their representatives will join us to speak
about the programs offered within them. Learn how
their programs can help you gain your independence
in travel, cooking, reading, writing, using technology,

doing recreational activities, and more. Come learn
about the importance of having a positive attitude on
blindness. There will be a Q&A at the end of the
session.

5:30 pm - 6:45 pm: ACBS Business Meeting

Saturday, June 25 (Zoom only)

5:30 pm – 7:30 pm: ACB Next Generation and ACB
Students Convention Pep Rally

Friday, July 1

8:00 pm – 10:00 pm: ACBS Next Generation Friday
Night Bash, HH TBD

Saturday, July 2, CHI 208

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: ACBS, Blind Activism and
Advocacy Panel
Join ACB Students for our panel on blind activism and
advocacy with blind life coach Charlie Kramer, Los
Angeles, CA and blind video editor, producer, and
podcaster Lance Johnson, Brooklyn, NY!

 Come learn just how beautiful self-advocacy can be.
Charlie and Lance will discuss their life experiences,
outlooks on blindness, and advice for blind students
with us.

Sunday, July 3, CHI 215

2:30 pm – 3:45 pm: Student Led Discussion
Join ACB Students leaders to hear their perspectives
on some of the many critical issues impacting blind
students today. Our students will discuss navigating
blindness in education, health care, and in using
assistive technology, and then we will give you the
chance to meet and interact with other students while
participating in these discussions too!

Monday, July 4, CHI 208

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: ACBS Social Justice and Identity
Based Training
Join ACB Students for a transformative social justice
training and learning experience. Come meet other
blind students, engage in self-empowering and
discovery activities, and learn about how important

and impactful the identity of blindness can be for all of
us! Get tips on advocating for yourself, finding self-
confidence, and dealing with the difficulties of
blindness!

Blind Information Technology Specialists

President: Earlene Hughes

Program Chair: Penny Moss

Registration: $10

Friday, July 1, CHI 213

4:00 pm – 6:45 pm: BITS/CCLVI: Vendor Showcase
If you use a screen reader and/or magnification in
your daily life, this showcase affords you the
opportunity to see what is new in the Exhibit Hall later
in the week. Several products will be demonstrated
with time for some questions and answers. It also
gives you the chance to prepare your questions for
when you visit these vendors’ booths, in-person or
virtually, over the next several days.

Saturday, July 2, CHI 213

10:00 am - 11:15 am: BITS: Navigating Your World
Do you get frustrated because you have trouble
getting help with reading labels or scanning
documents? Come to this enlightening presentation
where you can learn about the SuperSense and the
Voice Dream Suite. You may be surprised to find out
how much these apps can help with everyday tasks.
Presenters: Shane Lowe, SuperSense Team,
Community Operations Director, Mediate, Cambridge,
MA

11:30 am – 12:45 pm: BITS: On the Go: Laptops and
Tablets
Have you ever wondered about the differences
between laptops and tablets? Confused about which
one to buy? Come enjoy this informative presentation
so you can decide which device is right for you.
Presenters: Matt Vollbrecht, Founder and Owner, The
Tech Juggernaut (TTJ) Services, Everett, PA; Chris
Maae, Vice President, Blind Information Technology
Specialists and ACB Next Generation member, Long

Beach, CA; Mike Hartwig, Blind Information
Technology Specialists member, Wausau, WI.

Braille Revival League

President: Paul Edwards

Registration: $10

Thursday, June 23 (Zoom only)

1:00 pm – 2:15 pm: BRL Constitutional Changes

2:30 pm – 3:45 pm: BRL Nominations and Candidate
Forum

4:00 pm – 5:15 pm: BRL Other Business

Sunday, July 3, CHI 211

1:00 pm – 2:15 pm: LUA: Up Close and Personal with
NLS Director, Jason Broughton
Mr. Broughton presented at morning general session;
here is your chance to learn more from him and ask
questions about NLS.
Co-sponsored by LUA, BRL and FIA

2:30 pm – 3:45 pm: Not Your Mother’s Library: The
Modern Public Library - What Awaits You There.
Co-sponsored by LUA, BRL, and FIA

Monday, July 4, CHI 211

7:00 am – 8:15 am: BRL Breakfast, $30 ($35)
Guest speaker, Marc Workman, Chief Executive
Officer, World Blind Union, Edmonton, Alberta,
Canada.

Tuesday, July 5, CHI 215

1:00 pm – 2:15 pm: Meet the Talking Book Narrator
This is your opportunity to hear more from and ask
questions of our 2022 talking book narrator, Ray
Foushee, American Printing House for the Blind,
Louisville, KY.
Co-hosted by LUA, AABT, BRL, and FIA,

2:30 pm – 3:45 pm: One Book, One ACB: “Their Plant
Eyes: A Personal and Cultural History of Blindness,”
by M. Leona Godin

 Cosponsored by LUA, BRL, FIA and MCAC

Wednesday, July 6

1:00 pm – 2:15 pm: Understanding Where Our Writing
System Braille Has Been, CHI 215
During this session learn from three panelists
fascinating information regarding Braille. Philippa
Campsey, University Professor, Toronto, Ontario,
Canada, will provide new information about the early
history of braille. Tamara Rorie, Arlington, VA will
discuss new braille archives. Judy Dixon, retired
consumer relations officer, Arlington, VA will enlighten
us on methods of doing research about braille and
where people can find documents of interest.

2:30 pm – 3:45 pm: New Uses for Braille in Periodicals,
CHI 215
This session will feature a panel chaired by Paul
Edwards.
Learn about the use of UEB for cooking in magazines
and books from Brian Charlson, Watertown, MA, and

Judy Dixon, Arlington, VA.
We will then learn about new knitting magazines and
how to use knitting charts from Judy Wilkinson, retired
English professor, San Leandro, CA and Tamara
Rorie, Arlington, VA. Finally, we’ll learn about
crossword puzzle magazines from Ralph Smitherman,
BRL secretary, Brandon, MS, and Jane Carona, BRL
treasurer, Silver Spring, MD.

4:00 pm – 5:15 pm: Games with Ralph, HH Hill (in-
person only)
This session will feature prizes and will include a full
set of games hosted by Ralph.

Blind LGBT Pride International

President: Gabriel Lopez Kafati

Program Chair: Anthony Corona

Registration: $10

Saturday, June 25 (Zoom only)

4:00 pm: BPI/MCAC/GDUI Candidate Forum

Saturday, July 2

11:30 am – 12:45 pm: Furry Tails, CHI 208
There have been so many memorable moments and
persons in the American Council of the Blind over the
last 60 years, but there have been so many furry
skilled professionals who live in our hearts and
memories. Sunday Edition is partnering with GDUI for
a program to recognize some of these amazing
guides. Join us as we remember and honor these
wonderful dogs and, of course, their handlers.

1:00 pm – 2:15 pm: Making Gay History, CHI 208
Friend to BPI and frequent collaborator Eric Marcus of
the Making Gay History podcast joins us to highlight
the moments in the LGBTQ fight for equality that
changed our world and the course of our history.

4:00 pm - 6:00 pm: BPI Movie Rocky Horror Picture
Show (in-person only), CHI 208
Grab your toast points, popcorn, noise makers and
water bottles and prepare to “Time Warp” with us

again!
There will be surprises, songs, and of course all the
classic hijinks this beloved movie offers, including
some members dressed up as movie characters.
There will be a prize for the best costume as well.

Sunday, July 3

1:00 pm - 2:15 pm: BPI Beyond Swiping: Seeking
Romantic Connection and Compatibility in the 21st
Century, CHI 208
It's a digital world; so much is accomplished by double
tapping and swiping. Our fingertips make so many
decisions for us. We even try to find dating prospects
through apps in this busy, cluttered reality. But how
do we seek the unique chemistry between humans
that no high-tech interface can replace? How do we
know if a connection is real or just a fleeting rightward
swipe? How do we recognize attraction and cultivate
romance in this fast-paced world? This discussion is
meant to explore the complexities of 21st century
dating. We'll put our phones in our pockets and talk
about the core fundamentals we rely upon in seeking
lasting compatibility.

2:30 pm – 3:45 pm: 3D Audio Excursion, CHI 208
Back by popular demand, come with Chris Snyder as
he takes you on another 3D audio excursion to places
real and fantastic. Put on your headphones, sit back
and journey with us as we go from the ordinary to the
unbelievable. We’d tell you what to expect, but where
would be the fun in that? Life is an adventure, and this
is one you won’t want to miss!

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: A Day in the Life of an Audio
Engineer/Describer; CHI 208
Join Chris Snyder as he takes you through a workday
for a blind AD professional. You’ll get to hear what it’s
like to QC a script, voice, edit and mix a program, and
ask questions afterward. The curious and the aspiring
AD professionals won’t want to miss it.

5:30 pm - 6:45 pm: What are the Colors of Our
Rainbow (in-person only), HH Cozzens
Let's ponder pronouns. Why are "she" and "he" so
limiting? How can we expand our vocabulary and
minds to celebrate gender diversity and equity? Have
you ever asked your colleagues, friends and

neighbors what pronouns they use? We define so
much through labels; they help us organize the world
around us, but they can be harmful and disrespectful.
Inclusivity is not a trend or a fad. Pronouns are not
just words on a page. In this candid discussion, BPI
presents narratives from community members who
embody the gender diversity in our rainbow. Join us
as we delve into the deeper meaning of pronouns and
why what we say matters.

8:00 pm – 9:45 pm: BPI Mixer -"Bobbing" into Omaha!
(in-person only), HH Cozzens
Join BPI as we "Bob" into Omaha! As always, BPI
welcomes convention with fun, mingling, and
surprises. Bridge your way into our first ever hybrid
convention; we invite you to start your convention
experience by "Bobbing" with BPI!

10:00 pm – 11:45 pm: Open Mic Night with BPI, HH
Cozzens
Shout loud and proud karaoke or comedy, poetry, or
interpretive dance. Whatever your talent, the BPI
Open Mic Night is where all the wonderful colors of
our rainbow will gather and share our talents. Open

to all ACB members as we look forward to
entertaining and being entertained by our family and
allies. Think of this as ACB's "Cheers" with a mic and
stand and cocktails, lol.

Monday, July 4

1:00 pm – 2:15 pm: Blind Dating in a Sighted World:
The Non-verbal Cues of Dating, CHI 208
As someone who lost sight mid-life, I am often asked
about the visuals in the dating world. In this panel we
turn the tables to a few sighted friends as they tell us
the visual cues that they respond to and answer
questions from our community to dispel the myths and
offer advice to us on “Blind Dating.”

2:30 pm – 3:45 pm: Breath and Sound (in-person only),
HH Cozzens
Join BPI as we explore the wonders of breath. What
is the sound of breath? What can we do with our
breath? Let’s discover how breath resonates
throughout our body, mind, and soul.

4:00 pm – 5:15 pm: BPI: Colors of the Rainbow: What
Is an Ally (in-person only), HH Cozzens
Allies of the LGBTQIA+ Community: Doing What's
Right to Protect Civil Rights
What is an ally? What can allies do to support the
LGBTQIA+ community? Make a donation? Sign a
petition? Is it possible to be a silent supporter as
times change in momentous ways?
With regressive legislation such as Florida Governor
Ron DeSantis’ “Don’t Say Gay” law and Texas
Governor Greg Abbott’s directive authorizing child
abuse investigations into parents whose children
receive gender-affirming care, allies are standing up
and speaking out. Guided by members of the
community, they respond and take action.
Come join the discussion with a panel including
Anthony Corona, Gabriel Lopez-Kafati, Margie
Donovan, Vita Zavoli and Miss Ruth Williams.
Who is an Ally?

5:30 pm - 6:45 pm: Wine Tasting - Sparkles and
Fireworks (in-person only), $25 HH Washington City

 It's all about Sparkling! Join BPI's Sommelier
extraordinaire, Gabriel Lopez Kafati as we go through
the world of sparkling wines. From Brut to Demisec,
from Blanc to Rose. We will learn to discover our vino
type as we mingle and sip!

Tuesday, July 5, HH Washington City

5:30 pm – 6:45 pm: Tannin Tuesday (in-person only)
If you are a red wine aficionado, this is the tasting for
you! BPI's sommelier extraordinaire, Gabriel Lopez
Kafati, will take us through different regions of the
world in a wine tour. From Cabs to Malbecs, from
Merlot to Pinot Noir, we will learn why certain regions
are famous for each varietal as we mingle and sip.

Wednesday, July 6, HH Washington City

5:30 pm - 6:45 pm: Wino Wednesday (in-person only)
$25
This unique wine experience will take us through the
full range. Join BPI's sommelier extraordinaire,
Gabriel Lopez Kafati, in this adventure through
sparklings, whites, and reds. We will go from sweet to

dry, from light to full. Join us and discover your vino
type as we mingle and sip.

Council of Citizens with Low Vision International

President: Patti Cox

Program Chair: Terry Pacheco

Registration: $15

Friday, July 1, CHI 213

4:00 pm – 6:45 pm: BITS/CCLVI IT Vendor Showcase
If you use a screen reader and/or magnification in our
daily life, this showcase affords you the opportunity to
see what is new in the Exhibit Hall later in the week.
Several products will be demonstrated with time for
some questions and answers. It also gives you the
chance to prepare your questions for when you visit
these vendors’ booths, in-person or virtually, over the
next several days.

Saturday, July 2

4:00 pm – 5:15 pm: Fred Scheigert Scholarship
Winners Reception (in-person only), HH Cozzens

 We finally have an opportunity to meet and greet
several of the last few year’s Scheigert Scholarship
winners. These men and women with low vision are
our future leaders.
We will also present the Bernice Kandarian Memorial
Award during this special event.

Sunday, July 3, HH Washington City

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: Update Your Zoom Profile Pic
CCLVI has several members volunteering to assist in
adding or updating your profile photo on your Zoom
account. To take advantage of this opportunity, you
will need to bring either your device on which you
have your Zoom account or bring your username and
password for your Zoom account so you can access it
on another device. Remember this pic will then
appear whenever you are on a Zoom meeting. So,
business casual is probably appropriate.

Monday, July 4, CHI 211

2:30 pm – 3:45 pm Smart Home Living

A myriad of products that make your life and home
more comfortable, cleaner, safer, and independent
will be demonstrated and discussed. This is always a
crowd pleaser. Whether you are with us in person or
virtually, you won’t want to miss this!
Sponsored by ACB Next Generation and CCLVI

Tuesday, July 5, HH Grand Ballroom A/B

7:30 pm – 10:30 pm: Dance of the Ages ($15)
Music for all ages will be provided by our DJ. Whether
you like waltzes, line dances, or something in
between, it will happen. We have also prepared an
area for conversation while listening at a lower
volume. Light snacks and a cash bar will be
available. And plenty of door prizes.
Co-sponsored by AAVL, ACB Next Generation, and
CCLVI

Friends-in-Art of ACB

President: Mike Mandel

Program Chair: Peter Altschul

Registration: $10

Thursday, June 23 (Zoom only)

1:00 pm - 2:15 pm: AI in Music and Pictures
Explore how artificial intelligence interacts with music,
pictures, and blindness.

7:30 pm – 8:45 pm: Prose and Poetry Reading
Share some of your original work or just come listen.
Facilitator: Carla Hayes, McMurray, PA
Co-sponsored by FIA and ACB Next Generation

Friday, June 24 (Zoom only)

1:00 pm – 2:15 pm: You Gotta Have Harp
Relax while learning about the harp through
presentations and performances. In honor of FIA past
president Lynn Hedl.
Presenters: Nancy Pendegraph, Huntsville, AL; Jason
Castonguay, Manchester, CT.

 Co-sponsored by FIA and ACB Next Generation

10:00 pm – 11:15 pm: Showcase After Hours
Participate in our celebration of the Showcase with
performers and those behind the scenes who put it all
together.

Saturday, June 25 (Zoom only)

1:00 pm – 2:15 pm: The Art of Disability Culture: Non-
Traditional Visually Impaired Artist Panel
Visually impaired artists from different creative
springboards (pottery, graphical art, movement, and
theater) will share their experiences presenting and
working with curators to provide interactive and
accessible connections to their work.

7:30 pm – 8:45 pm: FIA Writers’ Workshop
Effortless Editing. Learn about the similarities and
differences between self-editing and editing for
others: how to know when to stop writing and start
editing, how to maintain a good relationship with an

editing client, tools of the trade, and other biz tips.
Panelists: Kim Nova, "Our Special" editor, NBP; Mary-
Jo Lord of Magnets and Ladders; Kathy King and
Cheryl McNeil Fisher, Writing Works Wonders; Chris
Kuell, Editor in Chief, Breath and Shadow Journal of
Disability Literature; Ann Harrison Barnes, blogger,
author and freelance editor, and Cachet Wells, ACB
Voices blog contributor and member of ACB Board of
Publications

Sunday, July 3, CHI 211

[...]

Guide Dog Users, Inc.

President: Sarah Calhoun

Program Chair: Maria Hansen

Registration: $15

GDUI registrants will be entered into a drawing.

Thursday, June 23 (Zoom only)

11:30 am - 2:15 pm: Guide Dog School Updates
A double session of the ever-popular updates from all
the guide dog schools.

Friday, June 24 (Zoom only)

1:00 pm - 2:15 pm: Science for Superheroes: Video
Presentation and Discussion of Cryopreservation
Demonstrating how semen samples from male
breeders are frozen and stored. Other topics touched
on are genetic diversity, dual careers for dogs and
superheroes for years to come. (We thank Bruno for
the sample.)
Speaker: Zuhey Medina-Gonzalez, Director,
Genetics, Reproduction, & Puppy Care, Southeastern
Guide Dogs, Palmetto, FL.

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: Supercomputers and Super Pups
Learn how a guide dog school has teamed up with
North Carolina State University and IBM to use
artificial intelligence and smart collars to increase the
number of exceptional guide dogs available to provide
our community with greater independence.
This panel will be facilitated by Carl Richardson,

President, Guide Dog Users of Massachusetts,
Brighton, MA.
Panelists: Gerald Brenninkmeyer, Director of Canine
Program Development, Guiding Eyes for the Blind,
Yorktown Heights, NY; Melissa Carney, Community
Outreach and Graduate Support Manager Guiding
Eyes for the Blind, Yorktown Heights, NY; Jane
Russenberger, retired, Guiding Eyes for the Blind;
Lorraine Trapani, Executive Program Manager,
Global Risk Management Import Compliance Office
(ICO) IBM Government and Regulatory Affairs,
Armonk, NY; Dr. Alper Bozkurt, Professor,
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering,
North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC; Dr.
David L. Roberts, Associate Professor, Computer
Engineering and CIIGAR Lab Director (Canine
Instruction with Instrumented Gadgets Administering
Rewards), North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC.

Saturday, July 2, CHI 208

11:30 am - 12:45 pm: Furry Tails - There have been so
many “Furry Skilled Professionals” over the years who
will always live in our hearts and memories. Sunday
Edition and GDUI want to recognize some of these
amazing guides. Join us as we remember and honor

these wonderful dogs and their handlers. (Anthony
Corona).

Wednesday, July 6, CHI 215

5:30 pm - 6:45 pm: GDUI: Wrap-up and Awards
Margie Donovan, Awards Chair, Folsom, CA, will
announce the winners of our drawing for the four
plush pups in harness.
The blessing of past, present and future guide dogs,
puppy raisers, handlers and those who love them will
be hosted by Audrey Gunter and Laurel Jean Walden,
Charleston, SC.

Independent Visually Impaired Entrepreneurs

President: Ardis Bazyn

Program Chair: Carla Hayes

Registration: $10

Saturday, June 25 (Zoom only)

10:00 am - 11:15 am: IVIE Business Meeting

Friday, July 1, room TBD

9:00 pm – Midnight: RSVA/IVIE Mixer

Monday, July 4

12:15 pm - 2:15 pm: “Selling Yourself: How To Put Your
Best Foot Forward in the Evolving Employment
World,” $32 ($35), CHI 213 (program begins at 1:00
pm)
Join Sara Freeman-Smith, HR professional on the
ACB Employment Committee; Pam Shaw, an
entrepreneur and IVIE member; and Kaila Allen,
recent new hire and ACB Next Generation member,
who will share their experience with written, verbal,
and visual aspects of positioning yourself as the best
job candidate and maximizing those networking
opportunities. The panel will tackle these three
aspects in each of their facets of the
employment/networking processes.
Sponsored by IVIE, ACB Next Generation and the
ACB Employment Committee.

2:30 pm – 5:15 pm: IVIE Business Expo (in-person
only), HH Merchant
Blind and visually impaired business owners will

showcase their products and services and answer
your questions.

Library Users of America

President: Judy Wilkinson

Registration: $10: registrants will be eligible for
door prize drawings

Friday, June 24 (Zoom only)

[...]

President: Dan Sippl

Convention Chair: Scott Eggen

ACB Program Liaison: Ardis Bazyn, Co-liaison
Karen Blachowicz

Registration: $40 (RSVA® registration includes a
$20 donation entitling registrants a ticket into a
drawing occurring on Friday, July 23.)

Saturday, June 25 (Zoom only)

1:00 pm – 3:45 pm: RSVA Business Meeting

Friday, July 1, CHI 215

9:00 pm – Midnight: RSVA/IVIE mixer (in person only)

Saturday, July 2 CHI 215

1:00 pm - 2:15 pm: RSVA - “All About the Nebraska
Business Enterprise Program”
This session will highlight the Business Enterprise
Program in Nebraska so participants will learn how
they train vendors, the types of facilities they have in
the program, and some statistics of relevance: gross
sales, number of facilities, number of vendors, etc.
They will also learn how blind persons can become a
vendor in the state.
Presenters: Eric Buckwalter, CVRCB, NBE

Coordinator, Nebraska Commission for the Blind and
Visually Impaired, Lincoln, NE; Jim Jirak, Owner, Jirak
Enterprises, Omaha, NE

2:30 pm – 3:45 pm: RSVA - The Value of Randolph-
Sheppard Business Enterprises as Career
Opportunities.
Participants will learn the benefits of this career option
as well as how states find recruits. They will also learn
what skills are necessary as well as the education
and training that is provided.
Presenters: Eric Buckwalter, CVRCB, NBE
Coordinator, Nebraska Commission for the Blind and
Visually Impaired, Lincoln, NE; John Gordon, Bureau
Chief and Acting BEP Director, Illinois Department for
the Blind, Chicago, IL; Patrick Martin, RSVF Vendor,
Tallahassee, FL
Co-sponsored by RSVA and ACB Rehabilitation Task
Force

4:00 pm – 5:15 pm: RSVA “Outlook Enrichment
Assistance”
In this session, Outlook Enrichment offerings will be
explained. It will describe the differing technology and

other skills training that can assist those entering the
vending program as well as other careers.
Presenter: Paulette Monthei, BSW, MPA, Enrichment
Executive Director, Omaha, NE; Alex Curtis, Vendor
Trainee, Omaha, NE

Sunday, July 3

12:15 pm – 2:15 pm: RSVA® Awards Luncheon, CHI 215

"Celebrating Over Fifty Years of Achievement and
Advocacy"
Our speaker will be Deb Cook Lewis, ACB 1st Vice
President, retired technology specialist, Clarkston,
WA

7:30 pm - 8:45 pm: 1st Act: Enjoy Some Laughs with
RSVA® Comedian Willie Farrell, HH Blackstone B,
(in-person only)

9:00 pm - 12:00 am: 2nd Act: Show Your Talent with
RSVA® Karaoke!, HH Blackstone B (in person only)

Monday, July 4

6:15 pm – Midnight: RSVA® Casino Trip

Take a break and enjoy visiting the Horseshoe
Casino.

Visually Impaired Veterans of America

President: Tyson Ernst

Monday, July 4

1:00 pm - 3:45 pm: VIVA Business Meeting, HH Hill

(in-person only)

ACB Committee Meetings

ACB Women’s Committee

Chair: Linda Porelle

Thursday, June 23 (Zoom only)

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: Yoga with Leslie Spoone
Come and join Leslie Spoone, certified aerobics
instructor and personal trainer, for yoga. Use a chair
or be on the floor for some easy yoga.

Friday, June 24 (Zoom only)

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: Cardio Exercise with Leslie Spoone
Come and join Leslie Spoone, certified aerobics
instructor and personal trainer, for cardio happy hour!
You can either dance around or be on your treadmill,
stationary bike or your elliptical. Happy exercising!

Saturday, June 25 (Zoom only)

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: Sister Power Happy Hour
Our very popular women's get-together returns with
stories from two more amazing ACB women.
Belinda Collins, Assistive Technology Professional,
St. Pauls, NC, and Audrey Schading, Academic
Communications Instructor, Mount Vernon, NY.
Come join old friends on Zoom or listen in on ACB
Media from home.

Tuesday, July 5, CHI 213

[...]

Chair: Jeff Thom

Saturday, July 2, CHI 215

11:30 am - 12:45 pm: AAVIA and Advocacy Committee:
Civil Rights Panel
This session will discuss recent achievements,
ongoing legal efforts, current risks, and opportunities
in the courts concerning issues of importance to
members of ACB.

Presenters: Matthew Handley, Partner, Handley Farah
& Anderson, Washington, DC; Christina Brandt-
Young, Supervising Attorney, Disability Rights
Advocates, New York, NY.
Co-sponsored by AAVIA

Monday, July 4, CHI 208

5:30 pm - 6:45 pm: Empowering Ourselves to Advocate
for the Best Mental Health and Emotional Well Being
Care

The world can be busy and its often our own self-care
that is the first overlooked. With the medical field often
more a business than care, knowing how to ask the
right questions and advocate for ourselves is a
learned and much needed skill set. Join our speakers
for this empowering session.

Tuesday, July 5, CHI 208

5:30 pm - 6:45 pm: Me to the Third Power: Finding
Myself, Working on Myself and Sharing Myself; Our
Journey with Mental Health and Emotional Well-Being
It’s been said we hear parts of our own stories in
others and this panel of speakers will share their
individual journeys through Emotional Well-Being.
Therapy or counseling, 12-step and higher power are
just a few of the topics our speakers will share with us
as they share the highs and lows of their journeys.

Auction Committee

Chair: Leslie Spoone

Saturday, June 18, 6:00 pm (Zoom only)

ACB Summer Auction
Come and enjoy the ACB Summer Auction where we

will be featuring jewelry, homemade baked goodies,
technology, vacations and handmade quilts and
crafts. We will kick it off with an Appetizer Auction on
Thursday, June 16 and Friday, June 17.

Audio Description Project Committee

Co-Chairs: Kim Charlson and Carl Richardson

Thursday, June 23 (Zoom only)

1:00 pm – 2:15 pm: Audio Description, “Nothing About
Us Without Us”: Blind Consultants Involvement in
Creating AD
Panel Presentation: Moderator: Chris Snyder,
Executive Producer/Head, Audio Production,
Imagination Video Books, Phoenix, AZ; Tanja
Milojevic, Voiceover Talent and AD Voicer, Peabody,
MA; Satauna Howery, Award-Winning Voiceover
Artist, Voice Actor, and Audio Description Advocate,
Clifton Park, NY; Thomas Reid, Audio Producer,
Voiceover Artist, Audio Description Narrator,
Consultant, & Advocate, Stroudsburg, PA; Nefertiti
Matos Olivares, Audio Description Writer, Narrator,
and Voiceover Artist, New York, NY; Rick Boggs,
Founder and General Manager, Audio Eyes,
Voiceover Artist, Description Narrator, Audio

Producer, and Description Script Quality Expert, Los
Angeles, CA; and Eric Troup, Description Script
Quality Expert, and Audio Producer, Bend, OR

Saturday, June 25 (Zoom only)

2:30 pm – 3:45 pm: ADP: Self-Description: Too Much or
Just Enough – Blind Community Perspectives
In Favor: Renee Arrington-Johnson, Member, ACB
ADP Steering Committee, Lyndhurst, OH; Gabriel
Lopez Kafati, President, Blind LGBT Pride
International, Miami Lakes, FL
Opposed: Mark Lasser, Founder, American
Association of Blind Theater-Goers, New York, NY;
Pat Sheehan, Chair, Audio Description Project
Section 508 Sub-Committee, Silver Spring, MD; Audio
Description Scholars: Professor Hannah Thompson,
Royal Holloway, University of London, London,
England; and Dr. Joel Snyder, Founder and Senior
Consultant, American Council of the Blind, Audio
Description Project, Takoma Park, MD

Tuesday, July 5, CHI 211

4:00 pm – 5:15 pm: Take a Walk in the Park
Get Up and Get Moving as You Explore our Midwest
National Parks through the National Parks Service's

Healthy Parks, Healthy People Program. Discover
how audio description plays a key part in making
parks accessible. Learn how you can be a partner
and advocate for equal access in our national parks.
Moderator: Jo Lynn Bailey-Page, Audio Description
Project Coordinator, American Council of the Blind,
Los Altos, CA; Holly Griesemer, Management and
Program Analyst, National Park Service Midwest
Region: Rivers, Rails, Conservation, and Accessibility
Programs, Omaha, NE; Clark Rachfal, Director,
Advocacy and Governmental Affairs, American
Council of the Blind, Alexandria, VA

Wednesday, July 6, HH Flat Iron

10:00 am - 3:00 pm: Update and Audio Describe Your
Profile Photo
Would you like a free, professional and audio-described
portrait photo for your Social Media channels, email,
and other formal correspondence? Dr. Brett Oppegaard
of the UniDescription Project is studying the Audio
Description of portraiture, and as a part of that research
effort, he will take your photo and work with you to audio
describe it. He will be analyzing the results of those
efforts for his academic work, and you will be emailed

an electronic version of the image and the audio
description for whatever purposes you wish. These
photo sessions will be by appointment. They are
expected to take about 15 minutes.

If you would like to book a slot, just send the time and
date you would like to brett.oppegaard at hawaii.edu.
Thanks for your interest!

4:00 pm – 5:15 pm: ADP Get to Know More About the
2022 Audio Description Project Award Winner, CHI
215
This is a follow-up to ADP Award presentations July 5
at 10:30 am.
Through a meet-and-greet interview format and
audience Q&A, we will learn more about what makes
these people such wonderful and deserving award
winners and advocates for audio description.
Hosts: Jeff Thom, Chair, Awards Committee of the
Audio Description Project, Sacramento, CA; Jo Lynn
Bailey-Page, ACB Audio Description Coordinator, Los
Altos, CA; and Kim Charlson, Co-Chair, Audio
Description Coordinator, Watertown, MA.

Thursday, July 7, HH Flat Iron

10:00 am - 3:00 pm: Update and Audio Describe Your
Profile Photo

Friday, July 8, HH Flat Iron

10:00 am - 3:00 pm: Update and Audio Describe Your
Profile Photo

DKM First-Timers Committee

Committee Chair: Kenneth Semien Sr.

Tuesday, July 5

7:00 pm – 8:15 pm: DKM/JPMorgan reception
(invitation only)

Wednesday, July 6, CHI 211 & Virtual

5:30 pm – 6:45 pm: DKM Reception
Attend the 26th annual DKM First-Timers Reception to
meet the Classes of 2020, 2021 and 2022. You also
get to witness the first-ever induction ceremony of the
Durward K. McDaniel (DKM) Leadership Select Honor
Society.

Employment Committee

Chair: Brooke Jostad

Saturday, June 25 (Zoom only)

11:30 pm - 12:45 pm: Do You Really Need Indeed?
Indeed, You Might.
Learn about how you can leverage Indeed.com to
jumpstart your job search.
Presenter: Don Horvath, Senior Instructor, Helen
Keller National Center, Sands Point, NY.

2:30 pm – 3:45 pm: Social Security at Work. Learn
about how to address the tensions between SSDI,
SSI, and money earned while working.
Panelists: Lori Scharff, Certified Financial Incentive
Professional, Waynesboro, VA; Chris Peterson,
Founder, President and CEO, Penny Forward,
Richfield, MN.

Saturday, July 2, CHI 211

2:30 pm – 3:45 pm: Pitch In an Elevator: Talking It Up
When You're Going Down - Creating Your Personal
Elevator Pitch Workshop
Many of us find it very difficult to talk about ourselves
but being able to make a lasting impression in a few

short seconds is an integral part of networking and
sometimes even landing that job opportunity. Join the
ACB Employment Committee as we work with
participants in a workshop setting to fine tune and
share your elevator pitch.
Co-sponsored by the ACB Employment Committee
and ACB Next Generation

Monday, July 4, CHI 213

12:15 pm - 2:15 pm: “Selling Yourself: How to Put Your
Best Foot Forward in the Evolving Employment
World.” (Program begins at 1:00 pm)

Information Access Committee

Chair: Jeff Bishop

Saturday, July 2, CHI 213 & Virtual

2:30 pm – 3:45 pm: 411 from the IAC: Low-Tech, High-
Tech Fitness Journey
The Information Access Committee in conjunction
with the Get Up and Get Moving Campaign will
present on both low-tech and high-tech options for
exercise and tracking your fitness. You'll hear as

members share their journey to better fitness and the
devices that helped them along the way. So whether
it is a scale, blood pressure cuff, common household
item, personal wearable, smart app, or the latest and
greatest piece of exercise equipment, there is sure to
be something for everyone to help you on your
journey to better health.
Clark Rachfal, Alexandria, VA; Don Barrett, Arlington,
VA; Koni Sims, Sioux Falls, SD; Jeff Bishop, Kirkland,
WA; Leslie Spoone, Orlando, FL; Matt Selm,
Louisville, KY; Amanda Selm, Louisville, KY; Satauna
Howery, Clifton Park, NY; Sandra Sermons, Rockville, MD.

4:00 pm – 5:15 pm: 411 from the IAC: Unlocking the
Secrets of Shopping
We all do it. We all need to buy things and do it in a
way that allows us to be independent and efficient.
Come learn from top technology experts on tips and
techniques that they have used both for in-person
shopping and shopping on the internet. Whether you
are looking for managing your store coupons,
shopping via Shipt or Instacart, it doesn’t matter. We
reveal key things to consider as a part of making you
more polished in achieving your everyday shopping
tasks
Jeff Bishop, Kirkland, WA; Ray Campbell, Second

Vice President, American Council of the Blind,
Springfield, IL; Myrna Votta, Brooklyn, NY; Judy
Dixon, Arlington, VA; Jason Castonguay, Manchester,
CT; Larry Gassman, Fullerton, CA

International Relations Committee

 Co-Chairs: Maria Kristic and Meryl Shecter

Thursday, June 23 (Zoom only)

10:00 am - 11:15 am: Reaching Beyond Their Borders:
International Programs of US Schools for the Blind
Start your 2022 ACB convention by joining a program
with an international flair! Did you know that some US
organizations for the blind have thriving international
programs? Come learn about what they do, who they
serve, and hear about some of their successes.
Presenters: Mark Richert, International Program
Coordinator, Overbrook School for the Blind,
Arlington, VA; Katherine (Katie) Holland, Executive
Director, Perkins International, Watertown, MA; Lee
Kumutat, Vice President of Communications,
LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired, San
Francisco, CA.

Friday, June 25 (Zoom only)

1:00 pm – 2:15 pm: NLS expands its Foreign Language
Collection
Come and hear from Kelsey Corlett-Rivera, NLS
Foreign Language Librarian, and learn about the
library's innovative projects and its implementation of
the Marrakesh Treaty in the US.
Sponsored by the Multicultural Affairs Committee and
the International Relations Committee.

Sunday, July 3, CHI 215

5:30 pm – 6:45 pm Conversation with World Blind Union
CEO, Marc Workman
Mr. Workman will speak at Sunday morning’s general
session. Here is a great opportunity to hear from and
talk with him directly in a smaller, more intimate
setting. Come learn about the challenges and
opportunities facing blind people around the world
and lessons we can apply in the United States.
Presenter: Marc Workman, Chief Executive Officer,
World Blind Union, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

 Co-Sponsored by IRC and MCAC.

Monday, July 4, CHI 211

12:15 pm - 2:15 pm: Voices From Around the World
Luncheon: $34 ($38)
A Tapestry of Stories: Overcoming Challenges and
Achieving Success in the US.
We all know how difficult it can be to find successful
employment as people who are blind or low vision.
Come hear from a group of panelists who have
achieved this success with the additional layer of
being immigrants. Get ready to be motivated and
inspired!
Presenters: Aditi Shah, Senior Data and Applied
Scientist, Microsoft, Redmond, WA; Merisa Musemic,
Interpreter, Language Line Solutions, Sterling
Heights, MI; Gabriel Lopez Kafati, Access Resource
Advisor, Miami Dade College, Miami, FL; Sajja
Koirala, Contract Specialist, United States Air Force,
Dayton, OH.

Leadership Training Committee

 Chair: Rebecca Bridges

Saturday, July 2, CHI 211

10:00 am – 11:15 am: Berl Colley Leadership: Moving
from Safe Spaces to Brave Spaces
This session will explore strategies to turn safe
spaces into brave spaces that lead to thought-
provoking and deep conversations that help you
discover what it means to have an inclusive culture –
and what it takes to sustain a culture that works for
everyone. You will be challenged to break down
barriers.

11:30 am – 12:45 pm: Berl Colley Leadership: You
Belong Here: How to Create a Culture of Diversity,
Equity and Inclusion: Hear from a panel of ACB
leaders who will share conference strategies and best
practices for engaging diverse communities.

Membership Committee

Chair: Ardis Bazyn

Saturday, June 25 (Virtual)

7:30 pm - 8:45 pm Keys to the Convention (Virtual)

Saturday, July 2 (in-person only), HH Hill

4:00 pm – 5:15 pm: Keys to the Convention (in person
only)

This is a session for first-time convention attendees and
for people who have not attended a convention
recently. Facilitated by Ardis Bazyn, ACB Membership
Committee Chair.

Presentations will explain various sessions, business
meetings and voting, as well as guide dog info, exhibit
info, and some social events. Tips and hand-outs will
be available in braille and large print.

Wednesday, July 6, CHI 213

4:00 pm – 5:15 pm: ACB Membership Committee
Seminar
Theme: Membership 101:
Panel 1: How to Recruit and Retain Members
Julie Brannon, President, Washington Council of the
Blind, Puyallup, WA; Matt Selm, President, Kentucky
Council of the Blind, Louisville, KY; and Danette
Dixon, 1st Vice President, Diabetics in Action,

Lynnwood, WA
This panel will suggest ways affiliates have retained
members as well as what activities they have
provided which brought prospective members.
Panel 2: How to Give the Best Orientation to New
Members
Gabriel Lopez Kafati, President, Blind LGBT Pride
International, Miami Lakes, FL; Amanda Selm,
President, ACB Next Generation, Louisville, KY;
Meghan Parker, Chair, Diversity Committee, ACB of
New York, Albany, NY; and Michael Garrett, Vice
President and Membership Chair, ACB of Texas,
Missouri City, TX

Members often remain members if they have received
information which tells what the organization history
is, what advocacy the organization has provided, and
ways they can participate in the future.

Multicultural Affairs Committee

Chair: Cheryl Cumings

Friday, June 25 (Zoom only)

[...]

Co-sponsored by IRC and MCAC.

Monday, July 4, HH Grand Ballroom A

4:00 pm – 5:15 pm: MCAC Social $20 - $23 (in-person
only)
Come connect with MCAC, see old friends, make new
friends, enjoy food, music and door prizes. Music
provided by DJ Kevin Ratliff.

Tuesday, July 5, CHI 215

2:30 pm – 3:45 pm: One Book, One ACB
Co-sponsored with LUA

Wednesday, July 6, CHI 213

12:15 pm - 2:15 pm: MCAC Luncheon
Hear from two speakers about Nebraska’s native
American history, culture, and current issues. As
MCAC’s theme “One community coming together in
ACB” expresses our aspiration for a community that is
inclusive of all, this session presents a perspective of
local communities.

 Professor Margaret Huettl, PhD., Lincoln, NE; Donna
L. Polk, PhD, LMPH, Omaha, NE.

2:30 pm – 3:45 pm: A Candid Conversation About a
Critical Concept
As we move toward Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in
ACB, this panel will discuss the tenets of Critical Race
Theory. CRT, what it is, what it isn't, and other terms.
Presenters: Steve Mendelsohn, retired lawyer, San
Leandro, CA; Pam Shaw, Speaker, Author and Life
Coach, Philadelphia, PA; Gabriel Lopez Kafati,
President, Blind LGBT Pride International, Miami
Lakes, FL.

Thursday, July 7, HH Grand Ballroom Foyer

Thursday July 7, 9:00 pm – 11:00 pm: Get Up and Get
Grooving to the Rhythms of Different Cultures from
Around the World.
Music from hot sexy Latin, jamming reggae, British
invasion and so many more in this 2-hour dance party
that will make you sweat.
Collaboration with the Multicultural Affairs Committee

and ACB Get Up and Get Moving Campaign, so let's
dance those calories off together.

Pedestrian Environment Access Committee

 Committee Chair: Becky Barnes Davidson

Sunday, July 3, CHI 211

4:00 pm – 5:15 pm: To Mobility and Beyond: Updates
on PROWAG (Public Right-Of-Way Accessibility
Guidelines) Demystified
Whether you travel with a cane or guide dog, you
won't want to miss this one, as these guidelines are
required for everyone to travel safely. So come learn
from the Access Board's Sarah Presley, who will tell
us what is included in the PROWAG and update on
where the DOT and DOJ are in formally adopting the
Access Board's recommendations.
Speaker: Sarah Presley, Accessibility Specialist with
the US Access Board Washington, DC

Monday, July 4, CHI 213

2:30 pm – 3:45 pm: To Mobility and Beyond: Challenges
Facing Pedestrians in 2022

 You don't hear an audible pedestrian signal (APS) so
you’re not even sure whether there's a crosswalk, and
there's no parallel traffic. ... This presentation will
provide strategies you can use in challenging
pedestrian situations, though there aren't always good
ones. You'll learn about some new environmental
modifications that have been shown to help — but
your informed advocacy is needed to get them
implemented.
Speaker: Beezy Bentzen, Director of Research at
Accessible Design for the Blind, Anchorage, AK

4:00 pm – 5:15 pm: To Mobility and Beyond: Yes, You
Can! Local Success Stories
A panel of blind and visually impaired advocates will
share their experiences successfully advocating for
accessible pedestrian signals.

Rehab Issues Task Force Committee

Task Force Chair: Doug Powell

Saturday, July 2, CHI 215

2:30 pm – 3:45 pm: RSVA: The Value of Randolph-
Sheppard Business Enterprises as Career
Opportunities.

Monday, July 4, CHI 215

4:00 pm - 5:15 pm: Unravelling Advocacy for Vision
Rehabilitation Services
Explore innovative advocacy efforts wherein states
can obtain funding under the Medicaid "Older
Individuals who are Blind" program. This program
provides an array of vision rehabilitation services;
however, funding is extremely limited. Learn how to
utilize the Older Individuals who are Blind and
Medicaid programs.
Co-sponsored by AAVL and Rehabilitation Task
Force

Resource Development Committee

Chair: Dan Dillon

Tuesday, July 5, CHI 213

5:30 pm - 6:45 pm: RDC “Two Scoops with No
Calories.”
How sweet it is to deposit those walk checks and
funds from MMS!
Presenter: Donna Brown, ACB board member,
Romney, WV.

Sight and Sound Impaired Committee (SASI)

Co-Chairs: Karyn Campbell and Carl Richardson

Sunday, July 3, HH Hill

8 pm to 10 pm: Get Social with SASI
Meet people who share your unique issues related to
DeafBlindness and learn about various ways to
communicate in a relaxed atmosphere.

Scholarship Committee

Scholarship Committee Co-Chairs: Rebecca Bridges
and Denise Colley

Friday, July 1, CHI 215

6:00 pm: Scholarship Winners Reception (by invitation
only)

Sunday, July 3, Grand Ballroom A/B

5:30 pm – 6:45 pm: ACB Scholarship Winners
Reception (in person only)

Transportation Committee

Chair: Sheila Styron

Sunday, July 3, CHI 211

4:00 pm – 5:15 pm: To Mobility and Beyond: Updates
on PROWAG (Public Right-Of-Way Accessibility
Guidelines) Demystified
Whether you travel with a cane or guide dog, you
won't want to miss this one, as these guidelines are

required for everyone to travel safely. So come learn
from the Access Board's Sarah Presley, who will tell
us what is included in the PROWAG and update on
where the DOT and DOJ are in formally adopting the
Access Board's recommendations.
Speaker: Sarah Presley, Accessibility Specialist with
the US Access Board, Washington, DC

Monday, July 4, CHI 213

2:30 pm – 3:45 pm: To Mobility and Beyond: Challenges
Facing Pedestrians in 2022
You don't hear an APS, so you’re not even sure
whether there's a crosswalk, and there's no parallel
traffic. … This presentation will provide strategies you
can use in challenging pedestrian situations, though
there aren't always good ones. You'll learn about
some new environmental modifications that have
been shown to help — but your informed advocacy is
needed to get them implemented.
Presenter: Beezy Bentzen, Director of Research at
Accessible Design for the Blind, Anchorage, AK

4:00 pm – 5:15 pm: To Mobility and Beyond: Yes, You
Can! Local Success Stories

 A panel of blind and visually impaired advocates will
share their experiences successfully advocating for
accessible pedestrian signals.

Walk Committee

Chair: Donna Brown

Saturday, July 2

Walking Everywhere!

Lace up your shoes, grab your water bottle, and be
ready to be energized. Join the ACB Walk committee as
we gather to raise money for ACB and its affiliates, get
some exercise by traversing the halls of the convention
hotel and the convention center, and make a grand
entrance to kick off the opening general session of the
convention.

Other Meetings and Programs

Advocacy Issues

Friday, June 24 (Zoom only)
2:30 pm — 3:45 pm En-Vision America: Accessible

Prescription Labeling Advocacy: Board of Pharmacy
Rulemaking vs. Legislation

Guide Dogs

Thursday, June 23 (Zoom only)
2:30 pm – 3:45 pm: Seeing Eye Woofs and Wags
Have you ever thought about partnering with a dog
guide? Wondering what we've been up to this last
year? Come and hang out with us and get your
questions answered. Learn about The Seeing Eye's
program and what we've been up to this last year. If
you have a question you want to make sure we
answer, send it to whitec at seeingeye.org before June
22, and we will make sure we answer it during our
session.

Sunday, July 3, CHI 213

7:00 am - 8:15 am: GDB Breakfast
GDB grads connect with friends and staff; those
considering the guide dog lifestyle welcome. If you’d
like to join GDB for breakfast, please email Theresa at
tstern at guidedogs.com

Health and Wellness

Thursday, June 23 (Zoom only)

5:30 pm - 6:45 pm: Adaptive sports, GET UP, GET
MOVING!, and Make Life Fun!

Want to get active and are not sure what exciting things
are out there, or how you can re-engage in your
favorite game or activity after sight loss? Let our team
help you get back into the action! STRIVE4YOU
would like to invite everyone to join us for this virtual
workshop as we explore all the exciting recreational
and sporting activities that are available for the
VI/Blind. Together we will take a look at simple
adaptations to make your leisure, recreation, and
fitness activities more inclusive. Whether you’re a
parent, college student, senior or a disabled veteran
there is so much out there to get you off the couch
living life to its fullest, and you might accidently get
healthier both physically and mentally in the process!

Saturday, July 1 (in-person only)

8:30 am - 10:30 am: Goalball
Up for Some Exciting Fun? Try Goalball!
Why not start your day with the premier team sport for
the VI/Blind, the sport of GOALBALL! This three-on-

three sport can be played recreationally or
competitively. Yes, it’s challenging. Yes, it’s physical.
And you better bet it is extremely fun! During this
three-hour session we will learn how to play, what are
the adaptations to the game, and even will give you
plenty of opportunity to strap on some pads and give
it a try in a real game. Bring the entire family!!!

Saturday, July 2 and Sunday, July 3 HH merchant
(in-person only)

1:00 pm – 2:15 pm: Safety Education Empowering
Defense Intro Workshop

Do you have reservations about traveling
independently? Do you avoid using your white cane
simply because you fear it places a target on your
back? Have you been one of thousands of Americans
that have unfortunately been physically or sexually
attacked? Well you're not alone and the team at
STRIVE4YOU want to share our one of a kind safety
education & self-defense program that has been
specifically designed by and for people with
disabilities with you during one of two introductory
workshops. The SEED program of STRIVE4YOU’s
mission is to create a culture with safety and security
for all, implementing a holistic circle of services

training body, mind, and spirit. Come join us as we
explore essential techniques for keeping us safe at
home and while we are getting out and active in our
communities. We will take a look at how what we say
and how we say it can empower us. You will also be
introduced to some of our hands-on techniques, the
SEED Functional Foundations, situational awareness,
and various other very important self-defense topics.
These in-person workshops give participants an
opportunity to see how practical and efficient our
SEED system of techniques are, while providing a
welcoming environment for truly meaningful safety
education discussions especially as they pertain to
specific concerns within the disability community.

Technology

Friday, June 24 (Zoom only)

5:30 pm – 6:45 pm: Bookshare office hours
Join Bookshare to learn about the latest additions to
the world’s largest ebook library for blind people,
promotions, and new and exciting tools like
Bookshare Reader for Alexa and more.

Saturday, July 2, CHI 206

10:00 am – 11:15 am: Vispero, What's New with JAWS,
Fusion, and ZoomText
Join Douglas Gerry for his annual User Group
meeting. All skill levels are welcome. We'll
demonstrate and discuss the recent developments
and look at what's coming in 2023. Bring your
questions and join the fun as we kick off the 2022
Convention with the JAWS teams from Training,
Sales, and Marketing. Receive a special gift for
attending!

Saturday, July 2, CHI 209

10:00 am – 11:15 am: BrailleSense 6, Productivity has
Never Been More Fun!
Please join HIMS Inc. as we discuss and demonstrate
the newest addition to our flagship line of Braille
notetakers, the BrailleSense 6 and BrailleSense 6
Mini. Whether you are interested in a highly intuitive
and efficient tool for getting work done, or hours of fun
and entertainment, the 6 has you covered!
Learn about how the BrailleSense Mini offers the
same processor speed, memory and storage as the

32 cell model, but in a much smaller form factor and
at a much smaller price. Have anytime access to
cloud based storage with support for Google Drive,
OneDrive and Dropbox right from within the File
Manager. Connect third-party peripherals such as
cameras, mixers, microphones and storage devices
and take your notetaking experience to a whole new
level.
Whether you’re looking to improve your workflow,
keep in touch with family and friends via the many
third-party meeting and social media platforms, or
enjoy hours of entertainment and fun, the
BrailleSense 6 has something for everybody.

1:00 pm – 2:15 pm: NLS Focus Group, HH Rome
Join one of four NLS special sessions and provide
your feedback on a variety of Collection Development
Questions, Text to Speech Options, the NLS Braille
Displays, and many other topics.
Alice O’Reilly, Chief of the Collection Division and
Tamara Rorie, Head of the newly formed Patron
Engagement Section and formerly the Braille
Development Officer, will be gathering information to
assist in shaping the future of NLS.

We will be discussing upcoming beta test
opportunities, showing the two NLS eReaders, and
conducting mini focus groups to obtain your feedback
on several upcoming initiatives.
To join a session, email abak at loc.gov with your
name and preferred session time.
Saturday, July 2: 1:00 pm – 2:15 pm and 4:00 pm -
5:30 pm, HH Rome
Wednesday, July 6: 1:00 pm - 2:15 pm and 2:30 pm -
3:45 pm, HH Rome

4:00 pm - 5:30 pm: NLS Focus Group, HH Rome

Sunday, July 3, CHI 213

5:30 pm – 6:45 pm: What’s new with GPS Products at
HumanWare
Join Rachel Feinberg, HumanWare’s West Region
Blindness Product Specialist, for an in-depth look with
what is new with GPS products at HumanWare. We
will look at new updates to our line of talking GPS
devices. This includes new map updates, new points
of interest for North America, and more! In addition,
we will glance into the exciting future of GPS
products.

Monday, July 4, CHI 213

5:30 pm – 6:45 pm: What’s New with Braille at
HumanWare
Join Rachel Feinberg, HumanWare’s West Region
Blindness Product Specialist for an in-depth look with
what is new with Braille products at HumanWare. We
will look at the newly released KeySoft update for the
BrailleNote Touch Plus, which includes integration
with cloud storage through the File Manager, and a
brand-new PowerPoint viewer, among many other
exciting features! We’ve also been working hard to
bring you the best new software to the Brailliant BI X
series, which includes a Braille editor, shortcuts to
switch efficiently between internal applications, and
audio support, among other exciting enhancements.

Wednesday, July 6, HH Rome

1:00 pm – 2:10 pm: NLS Focus Group, See description
above on July 2

2:30 pm - 3:45 pm: NLS Focus Group, See description
above on July 2

5:30 pm – 6:45 pm: Microsoft Windows Accessibility
and Features
Come and learn about the in-box accessibility
features Windows has to offer and get a quick tour of
the new features that have been introduced in
Windows 11. Chat with the team and ask any
questions and provide feedback on the product.
Presenter: Caroline Hernandez, Principal Program
Manager Lead, Redmond, WA

2022 Tours

Important tour information: Please read the following
information completely. It will answer many of your tour-
related questions and will help you have a more
enjoyable tour experience.

1. All tour buses will load and drop off to the left
outside of the Hilton lobby.
2. Bus departure times for each tour are listed in this
program. Please be at the bus departure area and
ready to board the bus 15 minutes prior to the

listed departure times. Arrival times back to the
hotel are approximate.
3. The first two rows of seats on both sides of the bus
are reserved for the tour coordinators, volunteers
and people with mobility difficulties. If you sit in
those seats, you will be asked to move.
4. All buses are fully ADA-equipped. If you have
mobility difficulties or use a wheelchair that
requires the lift to access the bus, you MUST
check the appropriate boxes on the pre-
registration form in order for us to plan the
necessary accommodations. If you are able to
transfer from a wheelchair into a bus seat, your
chair will be placed under the bus for the duration
of the ride.
5. Indoor facilities are air-conditioned unless
indicated, but many tours include significant
outdoor time. Dress appropriately and bring
sunscreen, insect repellent, hat, and water bottle
for your comfort and safety.
6. Space is limited on all tours. ACB reserves the
right to cancel a tour should sales fall below
required minimums.

7. All return times are approximate. If you have
dietary scheduling concerns, bring a light snack in
case we are unavoidably delayed. We ask that you
board the bus quickly and safely to avoid delays.
We plan 15 minutes to load and unload the bus.
Please do not schedule back-to-back events based
upon the return time of the tour, as we cannot plan
for traffic and road condition delays.
8. A limited number of volunteers will accompany
each tour. While they will help as much as
possible, ACB volunteers are not personal guides
or personal care attendants. If you need individual
help, plan to attend the tour with a friend who can
provide the assistance you need. If you use a
wheelchair, you must have someone on the tour
with you to push your wheelchair!
9. Most tour destinations are ADA-accessible. Some
tours that are NOT ADA-accessible may include
long walks, steps and steep grades. Some tours
may involve strenuous activities. If you have a
medical condition that may limit your involvement
or participation, please let us know ahead of time
and use common sense when making your
selections.

10. The tour leader will have a list of all paid attendees
and the waiting list for each tour. The leader will be
stationed at the door of the bus to record your
attendance. Please do not board the bus until the
tour leader has completed this task.
11. If registration for a tour exceeds its capacity, a
waiting list is created based on the date and time
your order was placed. If you are on a waiting list,
you will be asked to stand in a designated area to
wait for your name to be called. If you are not
present when your name is called, the next person
on the waiting list will be called to fill that seat. You
may not give your place on the waiting list to
another person.
12. If you arrive late and your name has already been
called from the waiting list, your ability to secure a
seat will be entirely dependent on the number of
vacant seats remaining on the bus. No one who
has answered the call from the waiting list will be
asked to give up their seat.
13. If there is no waiting list, or if the waiting list has
been satisfied, any remaining vacant seats will be
sold to walk-up traffic. Such vacant seats will be
sold for cash only. To purchase, you must have a

valid name badge, a day pass for the current day
or other proof of registration.
14. If you have paid for and are issued a tour ticket and
do not appear at the designated time and place, no
refund will be made. If you are on a waiting list and
are not able to get on the bus, the tour leader will
able to secure a refund the next day after the tour.

Should you not be present at the convention the day after
the tour, or if the convention has ended, please call the
Minneapolis office by July 31st to arrange for a refund via
check or credit card.

July 1

8:00 am - 3:15 pm Henry Doorly Zoo (Onsite) ($58)

Consistently ranked one of the world’s best zoos,
Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium is the
ultimate interactive zoo experience. During your visit
you’ll enjoy a catered lunch and guided tours through 3
of our immersive exhibits. Inside the Lied Jungle you will
hear waterfalls crashing, see gibbons swinging and feel
the tropical rainforest environment surround you.
Journey through the Desert Dome and experience the
plant and animal life in the world’s largest indoor desert.
The Kingdoms of the Night unearths the mysteries and

animals of the darkness. Day-night cycles are reversed,
so guests can experience creatures in their natural
nocturnal activity patterns. Explore exotic locations and
underground caves to see hundreds of animals from
across the globe in their natural habitat.

July 2

10:00 am - 12:00 pm City Bus Tour with a Twist
(Onsite) ($31)

Travel by Olly the Trolley on your guided tour of Omaha!
Immerse yourself in the rich culture and history of the
city.

10:00 am - 3:45 pm Boys Town (Onsite) ($53)

Experience the History of Hope at Boys Town. Father
Edward J. Flanagan purchased the Overlook Farm in
1921 and it became the new, permanent site of Boys
Town. In the decades that followed, schools, churches
and homes were built, and tens of thousands of young
lives were transformed. Visit the Village of Boys Town, a
National Historic Landmark District, and get an
unforgettable glimpse into the history of an organization
that has given new hope to so many at-risk children.
Your day at Boys Town will include a guided, walk-thru
tour of Dowd Memorial Chapel where Father Flanagan

is entombed. You will be surrounded by the lovely
Gothic architecture of the chapel, or what Father
Flanagan liked to call a prayer in stone. Take a step
back in time with a guided tour of Father Flanagan's
Historic Home where he lived for over a decade. In
addition to his original living quarters, you will also be
able to step into recreations of Father Flanagan's office,
the original chapel and dining room and more. Immerse
yourself in the 100+ years of Boys Town history in the
Hall of History Museum and hear our guides tell of Boys
Town's humble beginnings and how Father Flanagan's
mission is still being carried out today. Several exhibit
stations will be set up throughout the museum where
you can have a hands-on encounter with Boys Town
history. The tour includes a boxed lunch and time for
browsing the Gift Shop. Boys Town...where miracles of
the heart happen every day!

1:00 pm - 3:00 pm City Bus Tour with a Twist II
(Onsite) ($31)

Travel by Olly the Trolley on your guided tour of Omaha!
Immerse yourself in the rich culture and history of the
city.

July 3

10:45 am - 4:45 pm Malcolm X Center and Black
History Museum (Onsite) ($61)

The Great Plains Black History Museum invites you to
tour several exhibits. The Hate & Hope Exhibit focuses
on the ugly part of history in the Great Plains, and
positive events that have occurred in Omaha and other
parts of America. The History of Historically Black
Colleges & Universities Exhibit: Over a 12-month period
this exhibit will highlight 107 HBCUs telling their history
and the role they have played in providing quality higher
education. African American History Through Street
Signs Exhibit: Focus on all the streets in Omaha,
Nebraska that have been named after African
Americans. The Black Experience Through the Lens of
Rudy Smith Exhibit: Features photos from the late Rudy
Smith, and highlights the many accomplishments over
his long and distinguished career. A League of Our
Own Negro League Baseball Exhibit: In 1920, Major
League Baseball was founded, but their league did not
allow African Americans to participate, so that very
same year the Negro Baseball League was established.
24th & Glory Exhibit: Photos and artifacts feature
Johnny Rodgers' Heisman Trophy and looks at the
intersection of civil rights and Omaha's greatest
generation of athletes to come out of one community.
Lunch from Mama D's is included on this tour.

12:45 pm - 3:45 pm Mormon Trail (Onsite) ($25)

Built in 1996 to commemorate the famous exodus of
members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day
Saints from Nauvoo, Illinois to the Great Salt Lake
Valley in 1846-47, the beautiful 11,000 square foot
Mormon Trail Center in north Omaha, NE is a must-see
stop for visitors of all faiths and backgrounds. Between
1840 and 1890, over 85,000 LDS pilgrims came from all
parts of the world to make their way along the Mormon
Trail to Salt Lake City. Featuring several timepiece
artifacts, paintings and murals, a log house construction,
handcarts and wagons, videos and much more, the Trail
Center hosts 25,000 - 30,000 visitors annually. In
addition, located just across the street is the famous
Mormon Pioneer Cemetery where stands Avard
Fairbanks' unforgettable 1936 bronze monument
"Tragedy at Winter Quarters," a stunning artistic
masterpiece that begs grateful remembrance of the
several hundred Latter-day Saints who died here during
the cruel winter of 1846-47.

6:00 pm - 8:00 pm Get Up and Get Moving with a
walk across the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge
(Onsite) ($14)

Bob the bridge is 9,000 feet long, spanning the Missouri
River between Omaha and Council Bluffs, Iowa. The
bridge is lit at night with multi-colored lights and there
are lots of fun things to do, dancing across the state
line, visiting Omar the blue troll who lives under the
bridge; a fun way to get some exercise and enjoy an
evening outdoors!

July 4

12:15 pm - 4:30 pm Strategic Air Control and
Aerospace Museum (Onsite) ($55)

This white-glove tour will have you hands on with
aircrafts and spacecrafts. From an A-26 to an F-117,
you'll be able to touch and learn about numerous
aircrafts and space vehicles. The SAC Museum is
exploring ways to better display its SAC artifacts and
more effectively tell the story of SAC's efforts to
preserve the peace during the Cold War. Few, if any,
museums are as well positioned to tell the story about
this critical time in America's history.

12:30 pm - 2:30 pm City Bus Tour with a Twist III
(Onsite) ($31)

Travel by Olly the Trolley on your guided tour of Omaha!
Immerse yourself in the rich culture and history of the
city.

3:00 pm - 5:00 pm City Bus Tour with a Twist IV
(Onsite) ($31)

Travel by Olly the Trolley on your guided tour of Omaha!
Immerse yourself in the rich culture and history of the
city

5:30 pm - 10:45 pm Baseball and Fireworks (Onsite)
($52)

Take me out to the ball game! The "Storm Chasers" are
the minor league team for the Kansas City Royals.
Players will be wearing patriotic jerseys and we'll have
post-game fireworks. Our buffet dinner will include
pulled pork, hamburgers, hot dogs, baked beans, pub
chips, cookies, and water.

6:15 pm - 12:00 am RSVA Casino Trip (Onsite) ($30)

Take a break and enjoy visiting the Horseshoe Casino.

July 5

12:15 pm - 4:00 pm Outlook Collaborative Tour
(Onsite) ($42)

Outlook Collaborative: employment opportunities,
rehabilitation services, and community engagement to
the blind and visually impaired in the Omaha area. Our
primary mission is to positively impact everyone who is
blind or visually impaired. 1. Tour our manufacturing
facility! For 20 years Outlook Nebraska has produced
and sold quality, sustainable janitorial paper products for
government, commercial and industrial use through the
SKILCRAFT® and other AbilityOne™ Programs. 2. Visit
with Outlook Enrichment staff who provide in-person
and remote rehabilitation training opportunities in
adaptive technology, braille training, independent living
skills, and offer a wide range of social and cultural
activities to participants. 3. Outlook Business Solutions
works with businesses to remove obstacles to their
growth. Part marketing agency, part business
consultancy and part digital accessibility support desk
they provide it all. 4. Outlook is all about creating
opportunities for those living with vision loss in our
community. Note: we will be visiting a manufacturing
facility. You must wear closed-toe shoes to attend this
tour. No sandals!

1:45 pm - 4:45 pm Lewis and Clark Visitors Center
(Onsite) ($25)

Attendees will have the opportunity to enjoy all the
following activities: Activity 1: A Day in the Life of the
Corps of Discovery. This interactive park ranger
presentation includes tactile examination of tools, trade
items, uniform pieces, musket, furs, tactile maps.
Activity 2: Plants of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. 35-
minute garden tour led by a ranger; questions and
answers will be integrated into the tour. Includes tactile
and scent examination of plants, auditory examination of
the garden and potentially plant pressing. Activity 3: The
Big Muddy, Missouri River Then and Now. 10 Minute
talk at the "then and now" rock that illustrates the
change in the river's course over the last 100 years and
a short walk up on to the bridge. This will be just enough
to feel the change in the wind. Includes tactile
examination of the river channel exhibit near the bridge,
a quick hello to Omar, and then the short walk. The
bookstore will be open and will provide a synopsis of
items in the store.

5:15 pm - 9:15 pm TreeRush Adventure Tour
(Onsite) ($56)

Climb, zip, and swing through the canopy of an old-
growth forest at TreeRush Adventures. Explore zip

lines, suspended bridges, rope ladders, and a variety of
exciting aerial challenges. Gear up and learn how to use
climbing equipment before setting off on 2 hours of fun.
Guests set their own pace while navigating easy to
expert treetop trails. Feel the rush of excitement,
empowerment, amazement, and fulfillment at TreeRush
Adventures. Note: you will be contacted to complete a
waiver form prior to convention. You must wear closed-
toe shoes; you must also wear gloves, which will be
provided by the tour venue.

July 6

12:15 pm - 5:15 pm Train Day (Onsite) ($36)

We will visit the Durham Museum and the Union Pacific
Railroad Museum. Train travel brought Nebraska to the
forefront of the westward expansion. We will get up
close and personal with train cars, and much train
memorabilia. Note: This tour involves a lot of climbing in
and out of train cars and going through very small
doorways. If that will cause you difficulty, this tour is not
for you.

12:45 pm - 4:45 pm Sweet Tooth Tour (Onsite) ($22)

Baker's Candies is known for their signature meltaways,
decadent fudge, and gourmet confections. Built in 1991

and renovated and expanded in 2018, Baker's is the
largest candy store in Nebraska. We'll hear all about the
factory from one of the Baker brothers, try samples and
spend time candy shopping.

6:00 pm - 9:45 pm Riverboat Cruise (Onsite) ($90)

Cruise down the Missouri River on the River Star with a
buffet dinner and cash bar. What a way to spend a
summer evening! The lower deck of the star is fully
enclosed, surrounded by large viewing windows
allowing us to cruise rain or shine. This level is
fashioned with a full bar, 2 outer decks, restrooms and
is handicap accessible. With a quaint old-time riverboat
feel, you will feel like you have been transported to a
simpler time of days gone by! The upper viewing deck of
the star contains the Captain’s Pilot House and is open-
air with a canopy cover. Boasting plenty of seating and
extra chairs, this level is optimal for taking in the cool
breezes, enjoying some lively summertime music and
enjoying the beauty of the "Mighty Mo" river and her
surroundings. Grab a tropical drink from the bar below,
kick back, relax and enjoy the ride! Enjoy the sights and
sounds of the Missouri River while cruising north by
Freedom Park Naval Museum and the old Illinois-
Central Double Swing Bridge. Then we will cruise South
under the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge, past the

Omaha and Council Bluffs riverfronts and enjoy the
beautiful Omaha skyline along the way.

July 8

10:45 am - 3:00 pm Brewery Tour (Onsite) ($110)

Our tour company guide is working on the selection of
our breweries; we will visit at least 3 breweries for
tasting and brewing information. Lunch will be included.

5:45 pm - 8:30 pm Crime Dinner (Onsite) ($60)

We'll enjoy dinner at a local restaurant and then hear
from two amazing speakers who will talk about crimes in
Omaha in the ‘20s and ‘30s and the Squirrel Jail where
the perpetrators were housed. Why the name? Come to
the “Do the Crime, Pay the Time” dinner and find out!

Kids Explorers Club

All Kids Explorers Club activities will meet in the Hilton
Paxton room. Breakfast and lunch will be provided
Sunday through Thursday. In addition to field trips
your day may include swimming and crafts.

Saturday, July 2, 6:30 pm – 9:00 pm

Meet Kids Club leaders and get to know the other kids.
Enjoy games and snacks.

Sunday, July 3, 7:00 am – 5:00 pm

Fontanelle Forest, $40 ($45)

Hike the trails, enjoy a picnic lunch. The highlight of the
day will be a visit to TreeRush Adventures. Explore
zip lines, suspended bridges, rope ladders, and a
variety of exciting aerial challenges. Gear up and
learn how to use climbing equipment before setting off
on your adventure.

Monday, July 4, 7:00 am – 5:00 pm

The Amazing Pizza Machine, $50 ($55)

Unlimited video games, unlimited rides, and a pizza
buffet! What a way to spend the Fourth of July!

Tuesday, July 5 ,7:00 am – 5:00 pm

The Henry Doorly Zoo, $35 ($40)

Adventures and many animals and exhibits await you at
this world class zoo.

Wednesday, July 6, 7:00 am – 5:00 pm

The Children’s Museum, $25 ($30)

The Wiggle Room, the Science Show, creative arts area
and Maker space are just some of the exhibits you’ll
visit!

Thursday, July 7, 7:00 am – 5:00 pm

Urban Air, $30 ($35)

Climbing walls, trampolines, ropes course, bumper cars
and tubes playground! What a way to end your time in
Omaha!

6:30 pm – 9:00 pm

Kids Club Dinner, $20 ($25)

Have a final dinner with our kids club leaders and your
new friends.

ACB Fundraisers

You can show your support for ACB in several ways.

Convention Sponsorships

Stop by and become an individual convention sponsor.
Individual sponsorships are bronze ($25), silver ($50),
gold ($100), platinum ($250), and titanium ($500).
Sponsors are recognized both in general session and in
the newspaper.

ACB Braille Forum Raffle

Win $5,000 in cold hard cash! Limited tickets
available; $50 each. Buy one for yourself or your
affiliate or find up to four friends and split the cost five
ways. To purchase tickets call (612) 332-3242.

MMS Program

Help support ACB all year ‘round; it's easy and quick.
Find out more about the Monthly Monetary Support
Program; ask questions at the exhibit booth, call (888)
999-3190 or email us at askacbmms at gmail.com to find
out more about our program.

Saturday, June 18, 6:00 pm

ACB Summer Auction

Come and enjoy the ACB Summer Auction where we
will be featuring jewelry, homemade baked goodies,
technology, vacations and handmade quilts and crafts.

We will kick it off with an Appetizer Auction on
Thursday, June 16 and Friday, June 17.

Saturday, July 2, 6:00 pm

ACB Walk: Walking Everywhere!

Help kick off the ACB general sessions by joining ACB
members and friends during the live Virtual Brenda
Dillon Memorial Walk. Lace up your shoes, grab your
water bottle, and be a part of one of the kickoff events in
the ACB Health and Wellness campaign.

2022 ACB Exhibitors

Sponsored by MGM Resorts International

4Blind

ACB Angels

ACB Monthly Monetary Support (MMS)

ACB of Nebraska

Aira (Virtual Only)

American Printing House for the Blind

AT Guys

Black Hills Ski for Light Bus Across Nebraska

Blind Girl Designs

Bureau of Engraving & Printing (Virtual Only)

Central Intelligence Agency (CIA)

Christian Record Services

Dream Vision Group

En-Vision America

Guide Dog Foundation for the Blind

Guide Dogs for the Blind

Guide Dogs of America

Guidelight Dog Products

Guidelights & Gadgets

Guiding Eyes for the Blind

HIMS Inc.

HumanWare

Independence Science

International Assoc. of Audio Information Services (IAAIS)

JPMorgan Chase

Leader Dogs for the Blind

Lutheran Braille Workers

National Braille Press

National Library Services (NLS)

Nebraska Commission for the Blind and Visually
Impaired

Patriot Vision Industries

Polara Enterprises

Southeastern Guide Dogs

Spectrum

Tell It to the World Marketing (Virtual Only)

The Seeing Eye

T-Mobile Accessibility

University of Nebraska Lincoln (UNL)

Vanda Pharmaceuticals

View Plus

Vispero

Marketplace

Blind Girl Designs

Friends-in-Art of ACB

Iowa Council of the United Blind

Messin' Around in the Kitchen

Wooden Aloha

ACB Officers and Board of Directors

Officers

Dan Spoone, President, Orlando, FL

Deb Cook Lewis, First Vice President, Clarkston, WA

Ray Campbell, Second Vice President, Springfield, IL

Denise Colley, Secretary, Richmond, TX

David Trott, Treasurer, Talladega, AL

Kim Charlson, Immediate Past President, Watertown, MA

Directors

Chris Bell, Pittsboro, NC

Jeff Bishop, Kirkland, WA

Donna Brown, Romney, WV

Jim Kracht, Miami, FL

Doug Powell, Falls Church, VA

Kenneth Semien Sr., Beaumont, TX

Patrick Sheehan, Silver Spring, MD

Koni Sims, Sioux Falls, SD

Michael Talley, Hueytown, AL

Jeff Thom, Sacramento, CA

ACB Board of Publications

Katie Frederick, Chair, Columbus, OH

Cheryl Cumings, Boston, MA

Zelda Gebhard, Edgeley, ND

Penny Reeder, Montgomery Village, MD

Cachet Wells, Jacksonville, FL

ACB Enterprises & Services

Michael Garrett, Chair, Missouri City, TX

Jeff Thom, Vice Chair, Sacramento, CA

David Trott, Sec/Treas., Talladega, AL

Dan Spoone, Orlando, FL

Kim Charlson, Watertown, MA

George Holiday, Volant, PA

ACB Office Staff & Consultants

Eric Bridges, Executive Director

Jo Lynn Bailey-Page, Audio Description Coordinator &
Grant Writer

Nancy Christine Feela, Administrative Assistant

Julie Fischer, Human Resources/Payroll Specialist

Kolby Garrison, Membership Services Administrative
Assistant

Kelly Gasque, Communication Specialist

Kaitlyn Herrera, Administrative Assistant

Cindy Hollis, Manager of Membership Engagement

Sharon Lovering, Editor

Nancy Marks-Becker, Chief Financial Officer

Rick Morin, Media IT Manager

Swatha Nandhakumar, Advocacy & Outreach Specialist

Clark Rachfal, Director of Advocacy and Governmental
Affairs

Chris Sawyer, Thrift Store General Manager

Consultants:

Fred Brack, Audio Description Project Webmaster

Larry Gassman, Media Coordinator

Joel Snyder, Audio Description Project Founder and
Senior Consultant

Lane Waters, Accounting Consultant

Timothy Wynn, Audio Description Television Listings
Coordinator

2022 Convention Coordinating
Committee

Janet Dickelman, Chair, St. Paul, MN

Margarine Beaman, Austin, TX

Sally Benjamin, Tallahassee, FL

Rick Morin, Waltham, MA

Vicky Prahin, Columbus, OH

Michael Smitherman, Jackson, MS

Rhonda Trott, Talladega, AL

Dan Spoone, Officer Liaison, Orlando, FL

Nancy Becker, Staff Liaison, Minneapolis, MN

2022 Convention Program Committee

Dan Spoone, Chair, Orlando, FL

Jo Lynn Bailey-Page, Los Altos, CA

Eric Bridges, Alexandria, VA

Mark Bulger, Omaha, NE

Ray Campbell, Springfield, IL

Kim Charlson, Watertown, MA

Janet Dickelman, St. Paul, MN, Convention
Coordinator

Judy Dixon, Arlington, VA

Katie Frederick, Worthington, OH

Rick Morin, Waltham, MA

Staff Liaison: Nancy Becker, Minneapolis, MN

Local Host Committee

Mark Bulger, Omaha, NE

Jim Jirak, Omaha, NE

Lisa Johnson, Omaha, NE

Tyler Juranek, Council Bluffs, IA

Kristal Platt, Omaha, NE

APH logo. An Accessible World with Opportunity for Everyone. APH is committed to building a future that belongs to everyone by offering a wide selection of innovative and accessible products, and valuable resources, to support those who are blind and low vision. Visit aph.org today to learn more and shop our products. The APH ConnectCenter connects the vision loss community to a world of resources. It includes: VisionAware: for adults and seniors, CareerConnect: for job seekers, FamilyConnect: for families and parents, Transition Hub: for school-age youth planning for graduation and life after college, ConnectCalendar: for people and organizations to find and share info about upcoming events in the field of blindness, Information & Referral Hotline (800-232-5463): for answers to questions related to vision loss and blindness. Visit aphconnectcenter.org to learn more.
The American Council of Blind Lions logo. ACBL is a proud Topaz sponsor assisting outstanding scholarship winners to attend the ACB National Convention. ACBL gives Lions across America a chance to share ideas and experiences, and encourages others in ACB to become Lions and participate in service projects in their local communities. Want to know more? Join our conference calls the first Thursday of the month at 9:00 PM Eastern; dial (712) 432-3900 and enter code 796096#.

Waymo logo. Together, we’re paving the way to a better future.
Did You Know Leader Dogs for the Blind offers FREE O&M TRAINING? Visit us - LeaderDog.org/programs for more details. Leader Dogs for the Blind logo.

AT&T proudly supports the American Council of the Blind and its ongoing commitment to equal access, rights and opportunities. AT&T logo.

Vanda Pharmaceuticals Logo. Vanda Pharmaceuticals is dedicated to raising awareness of Non-24-Hour Sleep-Wake Disorder (Non-24) and supporting the blindness community. Non-24 is a rare circadian rhythm disorder affecting up to 70% of people who are totally blind. People living with Non-24 experience excessive daytime sleepiness and nighttime sleeplessness, which leads to impaired social and occupational functioning. This is due to the misalignment between the internal master body clock and the 24-hour day. Come visit us at our booth to learn about Non-24 and sign up for additional information! Call a health educator toll-free at 1-855-856-2424, 24 hours a day, every day. Non-24, a circadian rhythm disorder. Visit us online at www.Non-24.com.