[blindLaw] Respect for Others

MIKE MCGLASHON michael.mcglashon at comcast.net
Fri Mar 10 23:03:37 UTC 2023

Quoting:
In many civil rights and equality issues,
silence can be seen as acceptance.
Silence feeds the oppressor and stifles the oppressed.
End quote:

Your statement assumes that there are such persons as oppressors and those
who are oppressed.
I for one am neither; I am simply a person.
That is the problem with today's society in my opinion; "we are all victims
via other people's fortunes" versus recipients of our own endeavors".
I further believe as legal minds, we of all people in society should know
better than to intermingle the terms of equity and equality; for we know the
two are not synonymous.  Yet, I hear many a lawyer reach for both; we as
lawyers know that only one is reachable.  Since we will never have equality,
(I wouldn't want it anyways), this leaves only equity.  After all, we know
that equity is a remedial measure not a status of society.
Next, we come to "civil rights".  To me this is a dangerous term for civil
rights are just those; artificial rights given to us by arbitrary statute
for arbitrary purposes.  But as the old saying goes, "the lord giveth, and
the lord taketh away."  Hence, if rights can be created so too can they be
removed by statute.
Last I heard of such implementations, the term "Soviet Union" was thrown
around regularly.

A good example of a arbitrary civil right is the "fair housing act".  If I
am a landowner who wishes to play landlord, I now have entered into a realm
where my free property rights are infringed whereby I have no complete
say-so on who and for what reason I allow another to enter my land.  To me
this is a problem; for if I truly own my land then I have the right to do
with it as I wish as long as I do not infringe on land that borders mine.  I
am sure there other examples but I do not wish to offend anyone simply have
constructive dialogue.
In sum, I am not an oppressor, nor am I oppressed and it is totally up to me
how, where, when, and with whom I engineer my life.

Also, the NFB has a slogan "live the life you want".  Although this sounds
real sweet in theory, I think the statement should say "live the life you
earn".  In my humble opinion, we as blindees owe ourselves "individually"
not necessarily "collectively" the actions of getting along with sightees
one-by-one instead of trying to mold an entire sighted society, which of
course out-numbers us by miles.

Please advise as you like.

Mike M.

Mike mcglashon
Email: Michael.mcglashon at comcast.net
Ph: 618 783 9331

We can only try to work towards a better future for everyone.  In many civil

On an unrelated note https://youtu.be/cOeKidp-iWo