[blindLaw] Respect for Others

MIKE MCGLASHON michael.mcglashon at comcast.net
Sat Mar 11 18:05:54 UTC 2023

Quoting:
What if 95% of landlord in a given state would discriminate against a
certain group of people if they could, but because they can't, those people
have somewhere to live, and the landlord realizes those people aren't so
bad, after all?
End quote:
I do not believe that the issue here is Whether a landlord has a change of
heart or not; human nature would say that one would have a change of heart
and that would be a good thing.  The issue for me is the fact that it is my
land; and no governmental entity should have the right to legally intrude
upon it.
Of course I do not extend this ideology to private land that is used for
public use, such as a mom and pop corner grocery.  One might argue that a
landlord, by virtue of renting, has opened his land for public use, and
hence is subject to regulation.  To this I say "no" because even in a
landlord/tenant relationship, both the landlord and the existing tenant can
keep the general public off the property.  Hence the distinction where the
line for governmental regulation should be.
Therefore, if I am a landlord, and I only wish to rent to single unmarried
childless tenants with income of more than $100k per year, then it should be
my right to do so.  Furthermore, if I only wish to rent to black persons
instead of white ones that should be my right as well.

Please advise as you like.

Mike M.

Mike mcglashon
Email: Michael.mcglashon at comcast.net