[blindLaw] For profit law school or non-profit law school.

Nikki Singh nikki.singh at aya.yale.edu
Sat Feb 24 15:18:51 UTC 2024

This may come off as elitist and is not meant to be as such. I am
speaking after watching folks from various law schools in my cohort
pursue life and goals after graduation. I know my observations are
still going to be more anecdotal than statistically rigorous, but just
remember it is one perspective among many:

You want to attend the absolute best accredited law school that you
can. It pays major dividends later when you are seeking a clerkship,
searching for a fulltime job, or forming a network of other legal
professionals. Usually the top schools--I mean in the T14 category and
a few steps near there using the traditional ranking system--offer
decent options for the other factors you outlined: financial aid,
accommodations, student atmosphere. Distance should not be a primary
factor in my opinion, but it can or has to be depending on your
situation of course. I understand people are going to be in different
places in life when they decide to apply for and go to law school.

Law school is not just a degree-granting institution. It is a
professional school after which you will be expected to obtain and
maintain a license. The school you attend should be able to put you in
a situation where you can do this for many years to come, otherwise it
is not worth it.

One final note on accreditation, please do not even consider an
unaccredited school. You will have more challenges than usual in
getting admitted to the bar. But beyond the practical post-graduation
consequences, the professors at such schools are not going to be the
best instructors. Law is already difficult, and you should not
compound that with subpar tuition, especially when you are paying a
lot of money for it!

Sincerely,
Nikki