[Blindmath] producing Nemeth math as a blind person

nlibre at gmail.com nlibre at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 14:23:50 UTC 2008

I use 6-key entry with Duxbury for Nemeth and LaTeX and it works very
nicely.  I also use Perky Duck a lot when I'm not on a computer with a full
version of Duxbury.  That also works just fine.  In addition to the
software, you have to make sure that the keyboard you are using supports
6-key entry.  There are keyboards that will not support it.  For example,
two weeks ago, I was working with a university student on a project for his
transcription class and he did not have access to a Perkins Braille writer
on campus but assumed that he could use Duxbury because it was installed on
the DSP lab computer with JAWS.  When he started having trouble entering the
symbol for "t", I checked and realized that it was the keyboard.  Since it
was a Sunday, of course there was no one with administrative rights to the
computer to try and adjust settings or install Perky Duck to check if it
might work with the keyboard.  Even the keyboards were locked to each
computer so we could not swap keyboards and try to trouble shoot it that
way.  Fortunately, I had my laptop with me and we just used Perky Duck on it
and transferred the files for embossing.

Nicolás