[Blindmath] Brailling Nemeth Code and Using Contractions

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Wed Nov 19 01:06:26 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 06:51:38PM -0500, Sharon Clark wrote:
> I was reviewing a test today and came across a question that was brailled:
> 24 hours = 1 day
> The word hours was in uncontracted braille while the word days was
> contracted.
>
> Is this brailled correctly?

Not in any braille code with which I'm familiar; they should both be
contracted, unless there's a subtlety that I'm missing.

I know the old Australian mathematics code, I've read the UEBC reports, I know
some Nemeth code and I know a little about the British mathematics code, so
regardless of which country you live in I think I'm probably right - but
again, there may be a subtle point that I'm missing.