[Blindmath] Brailling Nemeth Code and Using Contractions

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Wed Nov 19 02:15:53 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 08:31:12PM -0500, Susan Mooney wrote:
> Yes, correct as written.  The rule is that you can't use the contraction
> because it's by a comparison symbol (the equal sign) "even though there is a
> space between it and the word, part word, or abbreviation".  So you can't
> use the ou in "hours" but you can use the contraction for "day" because
> there's a 1 after the = sign (not a word with a possible contraction in it).

Thanks for the clarification here.

Nemeth code is different from other codes in that it places significant
restrictions on the use of contractions.

If I recall correctly, in his more recent work (the so-called Nemeth Uniform
Braille System - NUBS), Abraham Nemeth effectively eliminates these
restrictions on the use of contractions. NUBS should also be more amenable to
automatic translation in both directions.