[Blindmath] Seeking assistance

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Fri Apr 17 22:29:17 UTC 2009

Hi Bill,

Very interesting question. Could you tell us what math courses you are
teaching?

I'm a sighted person who taught high school chemistry many years ago (before
I changed careers) and I still remember how much of a burden it was to grade
all those papers.

I later taught several semesters of university remedial chemistry when I was
a grad student.  I gave a one question quiz at the start of every class.  I
found that not giving partial credit not only greatly minimized the grading
time but also helped the students better appreciate what was required to
succeed in science or math courses.  If you were to do this, your para would
only need to read you any questionable answers.

As far as technical suggestions, the beta release of Windows 7 supposedly
recognizes handwritten math.  I don't know anything more than is in these
two articles:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd367848.aspx
http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/HandwrittenMathRecognition
.html