[Blindmath] Verbalizing Math

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Wed Apr 22 07:57:26 UTC 2009

Missy Garber <mgarbertvi at comcast.net> wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good web resource to help a general education math
> teacher best verbalize math to a class that contains a student who is blind?

Maybe the guidelines used by organizations that produce audio mathematics
texts for people with print disabilities would be helpful. As far as I know,
there aren't any widely accepted standards in this area, certainly no
international standards, and each producing organization seems to have its own
guidelines. At least one of them should have written these into a formal
document, however, which might help you.

Abraham Nemeth in the U.S. once wrote an article explaining the conventions
that he asked readers to follow when verbalizing mathematics; that article may
still be online.