[Blindmath] Stats packages

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sun Aug 2 10:44:41 UTC 2009

Matthew_2010 <Matthew_2010 at charter.net> wrote:
> I wrote because R appears
> to be a main piece of software with many add-on modules. The version
> for download as well as the current version and the newer beta
> version created a little confusion and I was simply asking the list
> to point me to a link or give me the name of the executable I should
> download in order to avoid installing an incorrect version. Time is
> scarce for all of us now a days and spending hours trying to get an
> application installed only to find its the wrong one will definitely
> drive one nuts.

This is one of the many reasons why I use Debian GNU/Linux: installing R, for
example, is as simple as running the following command:
sudo aptitude install r-base

In the latest (not yet released) version of Debian, which happens to be what
I'm running, this would install version 2.9.1 of R.

Debian also has packages for a large number of optional modules.

As I'm not at all familiar with R, I don't know what the modules do, but there
is a very long list of them. Documentation can also be instaled as HTML.