[Blindmath] Questions about tools for Math and Science Students

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Fri Aug 7 19:46:45 UTC 2009

As far as I can think, 8 dot mode won't help with dotsplus in its
current form. When I said dotsplus uses graphical tactile symbols I mean
they are like the print ones (possibly slightly simplified to make them
easier to feel), so the plus (+) in dotsplus is a raised cross (line
horizontal with a vertical line passing through it), the less than sign
(<) is one diagonal line above another meeting in the middle on the left
hand side.

So if it were changed to be possible to show on an 8 dot display it
would loose the advantage of being easy to learn if you know the print
notation.

However reading LaTeX source documents on a Braille display can be
reasonable (particularly when simple LaTeX is used, you probably want to
forget trying to read LaTeX made by software such as scientific notebook
as this LaTeX can get quite complicated to achieve exactly the layout in
the viewer). Also you may want to consider connecting your Braillenote
to your computer as a Braille display.

Michael Whapples