[Blindmath] R for Stats brief tutorial requested

Jonathan Godfrey a.j.godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Thu Aug 20 01:07:11 UTC 2009

Hi,

I've posted some of the requested details previously so this version
is somewhat shorter than searching the list's archive.

Assuming you are a windows user...
1. Install R as per normal.
2. On the desktop, look for the shortcut file that runs R.
3. edit this shortcut so that it runs rterm.exe instead of rgui.exe.
4. click it to make sure its working. You will hear the welcome
information if it is working. Quitting can only be achieved by typing
"q()". If the gui version runs for some reason, alt f4 will close the
application.

Data entry:
"x=c(4,5,6)" creates an object called x.

Calculation:
"mean(x)" will return the mean.
"sd(x)" will return the standard deviation.

I think you should consider sending specific requests to me directly
(off list) as much of this is not useful to many list participants.

All my current documents are either too advanced, or reliant on the
data source my students have already. I do plan on making my material
less textbook dependent in the near future. I do have commitments to
deal with this semester for my own students which is getting the way
of preparing documents, but can help others with brief requests.

Jonathan
At 11:48 a.m. 20/08/2009, you wrote:
>HI all,
>
>I have compiled a file with some posts from this list's archives and
>I'm hoping I might get a little more help regarding R for stats. In
>particular, I'm reading through the R manual and can't seem to
>figure out how to do the most basic of computations. If one of you
>has just a few minutes to help me get started I would appreciate it
>greatly. Please outline how one is to launch R, configure the
>terminal mode, then find the standard deviation for the numbers 4 5
>and 6. I want to understand what is being presented by R but can't
>do so since I know nothing about the syntax for entering data. If
>there is a way of entering a data set and receiving summary stats
>such as one can do with Excel I would appreciate this much more
>since I will be able to see what R can do. At this point I'm going
>in circles reading about everything but what I need to know about
>basic R data entry. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Matthew

>for Blindmath:
>http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindmath_nfbnet.org/a.j.godfrey%40massey.ac.nz

_____
Dr A. Jonathan R. Godfrey
Lecturer in Statistics
Institute of Fundamental Sciences
Massey University
Palmerston North
Phone: +64-6-356 9099 ext 7705
Mobile: +64-29-538-9814
Room: AH2.82

Home Address: 22 Bond St, Palm. Nth.
Home Phone: +64-6-353 2224 (or FleaBag if you prefer to remember it that way)