[Blindmath] Math editing and conversion

Senk, Mark J. (CDC/NIOSH/NPPTL) zia7 at cdc.gov
Fri Feb 6 19:23:03 UTC 2009

You might also use a photocopier to "store" the graph made with the
wickie sticks.

To: blindmath at nfbnet.org
Subject: Re: [Blindmath] Math editing and conversion

I read somewhere of a high school teacher who'd created a setup with a
digital camera and a frame so her braille-using students could easily
photograph graphs they'd made using Wikki Stix and other tactile
methods.
You might try this out by having a sighted person make such a
photograph.

I have a comment about the particular situation being described.

First, John Gardner is completely right.  If this is happening in the
US, it is illegal.  In other words, it is the college's responsibility
to come up with a reasonable solution, not the student's.

Second, I'm unimpressed with what I'm hearing about person teaching this
course. I agree with an earlier poster who asked about the educational
purpose of these graphs.  I'd think the optimal solution would depend on
knowing this purpose and that should be provided by the teacher.

BTW, perhaps the teacher would find this article about blind
mathematicians of interest:
http://www.ams.org/notices/200210/comm-morin.pdf