[Blindmath] college and math

Sarah Jevnikar sarah.jevnikar at utoronto.ca
Wed Jan 14 17:27:02 UTC 2009

Dear Kathy,
I am a first-year math major at college, and read Braille. I ran into some
snags with Braille texts and will do all I can to ensure your student
doesn't run into similar difficulties. Math without a Braille text is nearly
impossible - it's very "visual" and it can become challenging to keep track
of complex equations in your head. I tried using a textbook reader and DAISY
format, but prefer Braille.
As I am in Canada, I am unfamiliar with how the transcription works in the
States - I couldn't advise you as to where would be best to go. However, the
American Printing House for the Blind has the Louis catalogue which contains
some math texts. Their site is
www.aph.org
and follow the links. I believe it's "search for textbooks and tests" and
then something about Louis database.
Regardless of how you get books, your student should make her college choice
soon and register with their office for students with disabilities and any
other offices right away. They cannot help her otherwise. Also talk to her
registrar and see if they can register her for her classes early so it is
known right away what books she'll need. Find out who the professors are and
get in touch to find out what books they will use. If they don't know yet,
impress upon them the need to find out, or speak to a course coordinator.
E-mails are okay but telephone conversations are the best - you will be
guaranteed an answer. It might be intimidating for your student to do all
this, but it is paramount, and most professors will be impressed with her
initiative and interest. She'll have to introduce herself to them anyway so
they know how to accommodate her in class.
I'm sorry that was so long but I hope it helps. Best of luck to your student
at this exciting time in her life.
Sincerely,
Sarah Jevnikar