[Blindmath] Where can I get a Braille Slide Rule?

Nelson Blachman nelson.blachman at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 16:36:35 UTC 2009

  I'm sorry, Jerry; I don't know where you might get a Braille slide rule.

  Sixty-some years ago, when I attended college and could see, I had a
circular slide rule about 10 inches in diameter with two transparent
pointers turning around the center, the upper one being carried around by
the lower one so that the angle between them was preserved to indicate the
ratio of two numbers to which the two pointers had been set, which might
then be used to multiply or divide a third number (or just 1).

  But the two pointers had a black line ruled on them from the center post
outward, and I could see the numbers on the disk through the transparent
pointers.

  If the numbers are Braille, you can't feel them through the pointer.  So
how can a Braille slide rule work?

  Perhaps the pointers have wide slots in their middles through which you
might feel the numbers beneath, with a stiff wire replacing the black line
down the center.  But the edges of each pointer could get in the way of
feeling the numbers below.

  Nelson?