[Blindmath] Recommendation: Laptop vs. Desktop

John Gardner john.gardner at orst.edu
Sun Jul 12 17:40:32 UTC 2009

Hi.  I just bought a SAMSUNG NP-NC10-KA03US netbook for $419 plus an
additional Gb of RAM for about $25.  Total now is 2 Gb RAM.  Has 160 Gb
hard drive and basically everything you could want in a computer - 3
USB, wireless+cable ethernet, SD reader, standard VGA output for data
projectors, etc.  It is a bit larger than most netbooks, because I
wanted one with a usable keyboard.  And a 9 hour battery life.  It came
with XP Home.  So far it runs every application I've thrown at it.

So if you want something to carry around, this is a great little
computer.  I use it with Window-Eyes, and it is just slightly sluggish.
  It is faster with NVDA and will be faster with Jaws.  I highly
recommend it as the best bargain around.  If you use it at home, you
might consider getting a USB keyboard as well, but I use it a lot with
the standard kb.