[Blindmath] Computer operating systems and accessibility

Jared Wright wright.jaredm at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 19:13:04 UTC 2009

I feel for the end user Windows still provides the most explicit levels
of access, just because a lot of time has been invested into the
commercial screen readers for it. If you're willing to invest in one of
those, you will have access to a lot of what you encounter on the OS.
Linux has a larger variety of  potential solutions. Most require a
little computer DIY willingness, but depending on what you're doing, you
may be able to put together a Linux setup that does everything you want
even more efficiently than Windows. That said, you might encounter
software on Windows that just doesn't have as developed a counterpart on
Linux. Since everything in that arena is free, it can't hurt to just
dual boot it with another OS. Regarding Mac, I'll just say I'm hardly
impressed and will let anyone who wants to talk on its merits do so
separately.

JW