[Blindmath] Reading, Doing and Writing math for a newcomer

John Gardner john.gardner at orst.edu
Fri Jun 5 16:17:55 UTC 2009

On 6/5/2009 3:06 AM, Roopakshi Pathania wrote:
> Working with Diagrams-
> Besides tactile tablets, there are also tools available for sonification of graphs and charts.
> But I haven’t found a satisfactory way of interpreting diagrams and charts independently and immediately, especially those found in Economics and Finance.
> I know that Prof. Gardner will probably object to my statement, but I will maintain my stand.

I don't know why you think I will object.  IVEO, a touchpad, and a
ViewPlus embosser provide the best access to charts and diagrams that a
blind person can achieve independently.  Sometimes these are good enough
to provide full understanding but often they still need some sighted
human enrichment to make them fully understandable.  And if one is
dealing with needing to scan a diagram from a book, print, select a
figure, zoom, etc, it is hardly "immediate".  So I will certainly not
disagree that it is not easy to access diagrams immediately and
independently.

FYI I have been invited to give a tutorial on IVEO diagram access at the
Accessing Higher Ground Conference in November.  I will publish it and,
if the wiki for this list gets started, post it on that wiki.  I'll
certainly put a link on this list to the AHG URL.

John