[Blindmath] Using R with JAWS

Jonathan Godfrey a.j.godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Fri Jun 12 22:11:47 UTC 2009

Hi Arielle,

I use R and Jaws daily and to my wife's disgust often at nights too.

R operates on all platforms which is one of the reasons my department
is using it. Windows users use the GUI which is run through rgui.exe
(see the shortcuts and start menu item properties).
The main console window in the GUI is not useful with jaws as the
cursor isn't tracking any output properly. I did  get scripts
developed to do this but in the end my other solution is better.

I run R using the terminal window. Alter your desktop shortcut to use
rterm.exe not rgui.exe

The terminal window is just like a DOS window and access is as good
as it is going to get unless someone develops much better scripts
than the ones I have.

For simple stuff I enter commands line by line in the terminal
window. For more complex stuff I put the commands in a text file that
I then import to do all the work. As it happens I now don't even open
R as these text files can be piped into the R system and the output
can be piped into a text file for me. This is seriously useful for
some of the jobs I am now doing.

At 08:20 a.m. 13/06/2009, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I was just wondering whether anyone has had experience using the
>statistical package "R" with JAWS? Some of our stat labs here are
>switching from SPSS to R and so many of our students are being
>expected to learn it. I would like to learn it in order to be able to
>teach/tutor for stats courses here. Since R is a fully command-driven
>program, it seems like it should be fully accessible, but when I tried
>playing with it I couldn't tell whether or not I had received an error
>message after entering a line of code. I am not sure whether this is a
>universal problem or if I just wasn't using the right navigation
>commands to interact with the program. Any suggestions or experiences
>would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks!
>Arielle

>06/12/09 17:56:00

_____
Dr A. Jonathan R. Godfrey
Lecturer in Statistics
Institute of Fundamental Sciences
Massey University
Palmerston North

Room: AH2.82
Phone: +64-6-356 9099 ext 7705
Mobile: +64-29-538-9814
Home Address: 22 Bond St, Palm. Nth.
Home Phone: +64-6-353 2224 (Just think FLEABAG)