[Blindmath] Mathematical document accessibility

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Thu Mar 12 16:29:21 UTC 2009

Hello,
After going quiet for a a bit I have decided as there's not much else
going on for me I should get back to trying to work on my maths to
Braille translator (BrlTex), except I've decided to take a look at
things before diving back into it. In fact this may mean starting
something new instead of trying to work on the old BrlTex ideas.

The first question is where are things and what is actually needed? What
is the state of mathml, accessibility of mathml, etc and is there still
such a great need for LaTeX? I know also people new to LaTeX say it can
be hard to get started with, so might a simpler authoring system be
desireable (eg. RestructureText (RST) from the python docutils
(http://docutils.sf.net)) with may be an extension for math (may be
using LaTeX inside a math directive, I think that should be possible).

Currently for BrlTex I am using plasTeX (http://plastex.sf.net). This
seems to work reasonably well for the LaTeX processing (I don't think I
had any problems with it on well formed LaTeX files except for one which
was pretty awful to read anyway and did fail even with one of the main
LaTeX compilers (something like it worked with the latex command but not
pdflatex or the other way round)). However I feel plasTeX will limit me
to latex files unless I create an internal representation system for
BrlTex which might get too much for me.

The alternative, and why I asked about mathml, is that I now know java
so wondered what TeX/LaTeX stuff is there for java and I stumbled over
snuggletex (www.ph.ed.ac.uk/snuggletex) which is a LaTeX to mathml
translation library. Now if I were to create a mathml Braille translator
then I possibly get LaTeX support nearly for free by using snuggletex as
an input filter. Any open source java based mathml Braille translators
worth me looking at to save on my work? Also this design would permit
dropping the intermediate (between LaTeX and Braille) as a MathML file.
Also with the correct design then may be other outputs would be
possible, eg. daisy book format, etc.

Java is also tempting for other reasons, eg. swing and SWT for the GUI
are cross platform compatible (I haven't found anything which really
matches either of these in python), other standard interface systems
such as web applications using J2EE (I know python can be used for web
applications but I think it depends on what system you choose, there
isn't a single obvious choice), etc.

So any thoughts on the above or any other suggestions.

Michael Whapples