[Blindmath] Mathematical document accessibility

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Sat Mar 14 15:19:35 UTC 2009

I accept what you are saying and yes plenty do use LaTeX for documents
without mathematical content (eg. the documentation for various
opensource software is written in LaTeX, as an example the python
documentation used to be written in LaTeX). The thing I would raise
though is that for non-mathematical documents there are other
alternatives (even without having to go to those wysiwyg word
processors) and may be some of those alternatives would suit some people
better than LaTeX (eg. ReStructureText is now used for python
documentation). Each one of these alternatives have their strengths,
LaTeX's is that it is very powerful and flexible, something simpler
might suit those who have a lower requirements.

My argument is that there is no one answer for all. Sometimes the
choices are limited (eg. producing maths) so a particular option may
become a fairly obvious choice for most people (LaTeX for maths). When
there are more options the answer may be less clear. I am not trying to
bring down LaTeX (in fact I think it is a very good system) but rather
suggesting we give the alternatives a fair consideration.

One thing I will finally state, I do have to disagree with you saying
about shelling out money for a word processor, there are some free ones
like openoffice. The accessibility of these word processors (either free
or commercial offerings) probably (almost certainly) could be improved,
but this is another matter.

Michael Whapples