[Blindmath] Algebraic Long Division

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Tue Mar 17 16:35:24 UTC 2009

I'm sitting here shaking my head in disbelief on reading "my professor asked
me to do sets of long division
containing variables." Spatial arithmetic and especially long division is
the worst case scenario for doing math in braille since you have to keep
going back and forth. And who does long division in college any more?  Let
alone algebraic long division or polynomial long division like you are
doing. What a mess!

I agree this is not a situation with a good solution. LaTeX wouldn't be of
much help.  Hopefully you will make it through somehow and never have to do
this again!

It also sounds like your professor is difficult to deal with.  I'd think
that if you could sit down with the professor and prove that you understand
the concept of long division, there wouldn't be any need to do a large
number of similar problems.

Best wishes,
SusanJ