[Blindmath] Accessible LaTeX

Neil Soiffer Neils at dessci.com
Fri Nov 6 17:13:10 UTC 2009

TeX is a programming language, and therein lies its power and its peril.
The principle of equal access means that if you don't expect your sighted
readers to understand the macros, then you should not expect visually
impaired readers to understand them in order to read your paper.

If tex4ht didn't produce good results, there are some other translators.
You might try LaTeXML (http://dlmf.nist.gov/LaTeXML/) and see if you get
better results.  If you use a custom .sty file, you'll probably have trouble
with it unless you write some extra stuff to handle the defs in the .sty
file.

I do recommend that you make the source available as there are people who
find reading TeX works best for them for math.  But there are also plenty of
people who, for whatever reason, would prefer to hear a more natural
notation or prefer braille... just as many sighted readers would prefer to
read the output of TeX and not read the source.  So I hope you find a way to
produce MathML from your TeX source.

As to your question about producing tagged PDF:  it is extremely difficult
to do.  I do not believe it is a viable option for you -- the only solution
is to modify pdftex.  If you are interested in helping out with that
project, I'll put you in contact with the lead developer on that -- he wants
more people involved so the project moves along faster.

Neil Soiffer
Senior Scientist
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, WebEQ, Equation
Editor ~