[Blindmath] Why I favor MathML

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Fri Nov 6 19:37:20 UTC 2009

Alistair and others,

I certain appreciate that persons can be in a situation where they have to
make do with what is available but that doesn't mean that is the best of all
possible solutions. I'm not arguing against individuals finding solutions
that work for them now.  My concern is what is the best strategy for us to
ensure ubiquitous accessible braille math 10 years from now.

Despite what may be happening in academia, publishers of technical material
are moving toward MathML and, possibly, other non-LaTeX solutions. There are
commercial solutions to converting from LaTeX to MathML that are error-free.
There are good renderers for MathML.

In any case, we need more open source software designers and developers to
get interested in this problem. If everyone on this list could interest just
one software person currently unfamiliar with the issues of math
accessibility to learn about it, we might get there faster.  Clearly not
enough people are working on it now or we wouldn't still be having the same
problems we had when I first got involved over eight years ago.

Sincerely,
SusanJ