[Blindmath] Accessible LaTeX

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Fri Nov 6 23:26:48 UTC 2009

I feel that ideally you should be providing a way for people to read
your documents naturally. I think mathml gives this opportunity. However
there are some who feel at the moment LaTeX is what they want to read,
so make that available. In general if you offer a choice then people are
free to choose what they want.

As an extra note, I do feel mathml is the way of the future, more mathml
out there more reason we need tools to give good access to mathml and
hopefully then someone will come forward with something to fill the gap.

In some ways with your LaTeX source using macros, well it may affect the
tools for converting to mathml, may be check what mathplayer makes of
the equations to see what will come out for a screen reader user (you
should be able to use the self voice feature of mathplayer, right click
the equation). If you get it working with mathplayer then I say possibly
don't worry about how complicated the LaTeX would look to an outsider,
its their choice to read it in that form, you aren't expecting sighted
readers to use it so why expect visually impaired users will. May be I
am being slightly unfair in saying the following, sometimes its hard to
learn from someone saying something so we have to let them experience
it, I feel LaTeX can be hard to read at times (particularly when it
isn't your own document) but there seem to be some who feel there isn't
a problem (may be they have always been given nice clean LaTeX, I know
that when I was at university I was handed slightly modified LaTeX in
most cases but then one day handed something which may compare or may be
worse than yours is on the use of macros and I stood no chance, it
changed my mind about LaTeX as a global, single solution). If those who
feel LaTeX is a good solution for reading still feel that way after
reading complicated LaTeX (possibly yours), then you've not caused them
an issue.

Realising that may have gone a bit biased, going to leave it now.

Michael Whapples