[Blindmath] intro

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 20 21:45:28 UTC 2009

Hi -- let me enter another view if I may...
I also was a math major in school--my undergrad degree, and almost a
masters, but I switched to computer science.
I have heard that a lot of people have math anxiety.
I think it is caused by a (sometimes slight) lack of preparation for a new
topic, thus leading to excessive memorization rather than learning the how
and why in order to solve a problem.
I think the best way to dispel math anxiety is to look at something in
alternative ways until you find a way that you understand completely -- then
try to see why the alternatives also work -- then eventually as you read the
text book or lister to the professor, you will find yourself a step ahead,
and that is exciting.  I also like to see how the pieces fit together -- it
is elegant.  In fact that is why I majored in math -- in high school, my
teachers all said "it has been proven in higher math that you can't trisect
an angle using only a straight edge and compass".  I wanted to see why.  The
answer came my second semester in abstract algebra.  Once I studied the
proof and understood how it worked, I felt a feeling of accomplishment; and
that's how I felt about most math classes -- except possibly statistics --
That was the one branch of "math" that I hated.  You know the old saying,
ask an engineer what time it is and he'll explain how the clock works; ask a
mathematician and she'll graph the time t+h as h -> 0 ; ask a statistician
what time it is and he ask "what time do you want it to be?"

Anyway, I just got a call from a local blind resource teacher for the
district who may refer blind kids to me for tutoring. Since I had print
vision when in school and don't know Nemeth well, what would people on list
recommend I do to interest these kids in math?  What was the biggest problem
you had in k12 learning math?

Happy figuring.
--le