[Blindmath] intro

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 21 03:43:22 UTC 2009

Hi -- yes, teachers can really make the difference. I tutored several
teachers, with and without charge.  One teacher friend came to ask me some
basic algebra questions so she could pass her upcoming math proficience
exam.  She taught children 2nd grade and under and didn't think she should
have to know algebra. I didn't give her the math is beautiful lecture, as
she was a dear person and genuinely scared to take the test. She was down at
the math lab working with the tutors there and struggling.
She was sighted.
How could I say I agreed with the system on that one?  I think a teacher
should have good grasp of material several years above what he/she is
teaching, as this gives her the opportunity to guide a child's thinking so
the math classes will be familiar when they get up to the next level. And of
course, givted kids ought to be able to work on advanced problems if they
want to try.
Cheers.
--le