[Blindmath] Physics Lab Report

Neil Soiffer Neils at dessci.com
Tue Oct 6 02:21:08 UTC 2009

Unfortunately, the math editor in word is not itself accessible.  However,
if you have MathType 6.5 or later, you can enter expressions as TeX directly
in the Word document and then convert them to nicely formatted math
expressions for your teacher.  MathType accepts the "texvc" format used by
Wikipedia and you can get more information on that syntax at:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Formula.

Learning TeX can take some time, but if you only care about math, it is a
bit less daunting.  You need to learn about the proper use of curly braces
"{}" and a few commands such as "^" for superscript and \frac and \sqrt for
fractions and square roots.  You'll also need to learn the names of special
characters, but some of them like \theta are pretty obvious.  It's not as
nice as direct editing because leaving off a braces or forgetting a
backslash can result in something completely different from what you want.
But as others have said, TeX is used a lot in some areas of math and
science, so it doesn't hurt to learn it.

Discliamer:  I work for Design Science, which as my signature line
indicates, makes MathType.  Someday, we hope to make MathType itself
accessible to those who are blind.

Neil Soiffer
Senior Scientist
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, WebEQ, Equation
Editor ~