[Blindmath] Questions about complex formulas, tagging PDFs, and users' expectations

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Fri Oct 30 01:02:56 UTC 2009

Hello,
Here are my views:
1. There are standards various people/groups have come up with for
speaking maths, how "standard" these really are I don't know, the main
thing is make it clear what you mean (IE. don't say "x over 2 y", where
is the y, do you mean the LaTeX \frac{x}{2}y or \frac{x}{2y}, either
specify where the fraction begins and ends or add brackets eg. "x over
open bracket 2 y close bracket" or "open bracket x over 2 close bracket
y" depending on what you meant). However unless you intend to make a
spoken version of the articles (IE. an actual audio recording) then this
shouldn't concern you much as its the responsibility of the reader
software to do this for you.

2. The more important question I think. I have to say for accessibility
of maths forget PDF for the moment, I think there is still some work
(both technically and in convincing some important players in this, eg.
screen reader manufacturers). The main options I would recommend are:
* produce a mathml version of the document, this is meant to be the
preferred form of maths on the web although take up does seem to be
slow. Screen readers (at least in windows) can access this using
mathplayer from design science or possibly Braille copies can be
produced using liblouisxml. If you produce the document originally in
LaTeX then look round for some LaTeX to mathml translation software, two
I found reasonable are tex4ht and ttm. Mathml results may not be the
very best if you convert a document from LaTeX, but in my experience
they were usable.
* Publish the document in HTML form with images for the equations and
setting the equation images' alt-tags to the LaTeX source for the
equation. This can be done automatically from a LaTeX document with some
software, it may be harder to find as the task is harder to define in a
search. One piece of software I know of which does this is plasTeX
(http://plastex.sf.net). The disadvantage of doing this is that the
browser considers the equation as an image so cannot do any alterations
(IE. it is not able to use different fonts or different colours, etc)
where as mathml would allow or technically allows the browser to do
this. Another down side is that anyone unable to see the image needs to
know LaTeX to make use of it, but may be this isn't such an issue as
LaTeX for writing an equation isn't too hard and generally I would
recommend (I think quite a number of others here would also) learning
LaTeX if a visually impaired person wants to make serious use of maths.
* The final suggestion I would make is to provide the source LaTeX as
well as a "ready to read format" eg. PDF and then users who don't like
the final document format can go back to the source. This I could
imagine could cause some concern for some authors/publishers and may
also not be helpful to most people as there might be a lot of extra
formatting LaTeX in the source not really needed if you just want the
document meaning. Also readers needing the LaTeX source must know LaTeX,
this is made more complex with the additional document formatting
commands, newcommands, etc, for someone learning LaTeX it can be hard to
know what commands might be important for understanding the document and
what can safely be ignored. I consider this option as a bit of a last
resort, try and do one of the other two first.

Hope this gives you some ideas and some useful pointers.

Michael Whapples