[Blindmath] Reading in Winedt

Roopakshi Pathania r_akshi_tgk at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 6 17:53:30 UTC 2009

Hi Bert,

If you find a mainstream text editor that works for you, do let me know. Otherwise, Notepad has this insidious hold over me that I can't seem to get rid off.
Meenwhile I also use EdSharp available from Empowerment Zone.

www.empowermentzone.com/edsetup.exe

Here is what Jamal has to say about EdSharp's ability to handle LaTeX.

Start ---

EdSharp includes support for the LaTeX language (pronounced La Tech). This is a common language used for typesetting, especially for scientific publications. About 30 sample LaTeX snippets, ending in a .tex extension, are distributed with EdSharp. You can convert from LaTeX to RTF and vice versa. To fully work with LaTeX, install the open source package for Windows from
http://www.miktex.org

With that installation, EdSharp's LaTeX compiler option lets you check and correct syntax. You can then export to PDF or XML -- in this case, XHTML containing embedded MathML (math markup language for the web). If the resulting .xml file is opened in Internet Explorer with a screen reader, sophisticated mathematical statements will be intelligible when the free MathPlayer add-in has been installed from
http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathplayer/download.htm

The EdSharp distribution incorporates Python and JAWS script code from the "latex-access" project at
http://latex-access.SourceForge.net

The F12 key is used for reading LaTeX (a reminder is that "L" is the 12th letter of the alphabet), and Alt+Control+Arrow keys are used for navigating a matrix. Specifically, the key assignments are as follows:

F12 = Turn on a mode where mathematical expressions in LaTeX are read in a more English-friendly manner.

Shift+F12 = Turn off this mode, so LaTeX is read literally by JAWS.

Alt+F12 = Add a LeTeX expression and its English translation to the dictionary.

Alt+Shift+F12 = Load another speech dictionary.

Control+F12 = Store a matrix specified as an expression in selected text.

Alt+Control+ArrowKeys = Navigate rows and columns of the matrix. Alt+Control+Home goes to the top left, and Alt+Control+End goes to the bottom right.

Alt+Control+NumPad5 = Read the value in the current cell. Alt+Control+PageUp reads the current row, and Alt+Control+PageDown reads the current column. When pressed twice quickly, these commands say the row and column position and then spell the value.

Note that when a new version of the Python COM server becomes available on the latex-access site, you can install it (according to instructions there) and the JAWS scripts for EdSharp will use the updated capability.

End ---

“If you want something desperately, the whole of the universe will conspire to give it to you.”
~ Paulo Coelho