[Blindmath] spss 17 and jaws

Matthew_2010 Matthew_2010 at charter.net
Fri Sep 11 03:16:11 UTC 2009

Ask your assistants to run simple stats such as measures of central tendency
then save the output to a word file. You will find that jaws only speaks
graphic, graphic, graphic. this is because the SPSS output appears not to be
accessible at all. Maybe someone else on this list has a trick to make the
output read with a screen reader, and if this is the case then I hope they
do so. If you also find a way of accessing the user interface in order to
enter data, or if you manage to read the output then please post as this is
a long standing issue with blind students and stats with SPSS. A solution
some have used is a program called R for stats. Though it kinda works, I
gotta say its very frustrating to even get the thing loaded on to your
computer as the manuals seems to depend on one having previous experience
with the program and is not necessarily written for the new user. You may
also find the syntax used to process data very cryptic and confusing as I
have. In short, either way, you will have to ask for lots of help and this
will make your learning of stats twice as time consuming.

Matthew