[Blindmath] Calculator for Calculus and Linear Algebra

Ryan Thomas rlt56 at nau.edu
Wed Aug 4 12:42:01 UTC 2010

Dear Peter and others,

   A scientific calculator will be sufficient for most things that
you'll need to do.  There are specific circumstances in which you'll
need some sort of graphing calculator, however.  One example that
comes to mind is when you have some oddly shaped curves and you must
determine the intersection of those curves in order to integrate
properly.  It's usually not too difficult to work around thes less
common problems, especially if you have a friend or your teacher is
willing to help out with that one tiny step.  I've tried things like
the math description engine and the accessible graphing calculator and
I can't say I'm super impressed.  I think that the MDE has a great
deal more potential and functionality than I may give it credit for,
but I never put too much effort into learning it.
   Almost all universities will let you use a scientific calculator on
your exams.  It's the higher level programmible calculators that
students are not allowed to use.  To my knowledge there isn't a
comprable product for the blind though so you'll be fine.  Linear
algebra often doesn't even require a calculator because it is more
learning about the matricies and how those will be manipulated.  My
linear algebra teacher often talked about how such problems are
"cooked to be nice" just so that people can learn the concepts without
needing a great deal of technology to support them.  I hope this
helps.

Sincerely,
   Ryan